English 1000
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A moment where I was engaging in a specialized language.

Go down

A moment where I was engaging in a specialized language. Empty A moment where I was engaging in a specialized language.

Post  Weijian Li Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:47 am

1. During my childhood, my favorite entertainment was playing Yu-Gi-Oh cards with other kids. These cards are really specialized and it is pretty difficult for children like me to fully understand its specialized language in it. Basically, the Yu-Gi-Oh cards are divided into three groups: monster card, magic card, and trap card. Each kind of card has different function in the card game system, but it is also interacted with each other because these cards' functions might be very similar sometimes. For example, magic cards have many different types: quick attack, permanent function, and some can even regard as monster card or trap card. Based on the description on the card, different card has different role and even some useless cards can make important effect on the whole game. To play the game, I at least need to read and understand these descriptions on my cards, not only because most of them have distinct limitations, but also because I must be able to interpret to other kids while playing the game as no kid can remember the detail information for all cards. I need to explain the type, the class level, the function, the influence, the limitation and so on in order to let the game running. Recognizing the specialized symbol on the card is the basic skill. Although I often made mistakes in using some specific cards with special function, I could memorize most of common cards' detail information as time goes by. At the same time, as this game often adds many new cards, I need to improve my understanding ability so that I could better utilize the these cards' functions and reinforce each other. This is my most memorable experience engaging in a specialized language before, though I no longer play this card game, I still keep them at my home and may take out to read for a little bit occasionally.

2. Yu-Gi-Oh card game is popular among different group of people. I used to play them in my primary school and middle school. And school is also the main place for us to play this game. As the Yu-Gi-Oh cards always contain too much information, it is a little complex for children to fully understand these rules. They often need plenty of time spending on reading the description under the card while playing the game. Besides, instead of concentrating on specific function of the card, children are more incline to the surface of the card, like a very awesome character or skill name. I have to admit that good-looking appearance and specialized language of these cards are attractive factors of this game. However, as we grow up, we pay more attention on the functions of these cards. We have much better understanding on these detailed function based on different situation, so we also play much faster as we have a clearer ideas about both sides' cards. Thousands cards have thousands of functions, when we choose them to make up Deck, it has unlimited possibilities because these cards can interact with each other to create new function. Undoubtedly, Yu-Gi-Oh card game's specialized information and complex playing system have great attraction to children and young people, so it is not strange to see it becomes one of the most popular entertainment for students at school.

Weijian Li
Beginner
Beginner

Back to top Go down