English 1000
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prewriting Assignment #1 - blog: mycrazybipolarlife

Go down

Prewriting Assignment #1 - blog: mycrazybipolarlife Empty Prewriting Assignment #1 - blog: mycrazybipolarlife

Post  Katrine Haarklau Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:24 am

I chose to talk analyze a blog: mycrazybipolarlife.wordpress.com. The blog is run by a single female from Scotland. She is diagnosed with bipolar disorder and “along with that I also struggle with Psychosis, Agoraphobia, Complex Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Anxiety, Depression and Self Harm.” 1 She has received professional help for her mental condition for 7 to 8 years. She mentions under the tab “my story” that a lot of her problems are a result from childhood abuse and trauma, and a still born baby in 2007. Under the tab “distractions,” you find her definition of her mental disease. She also gives other needy people tips about how to get help. In the blog she writes very personally, biased, and non-subjectively about her daily life, ups and downs. She writes about serious themes that involve depression, self-harm and suicidal thoughts among other things. She gives us insight in how her therapists are treating her. One example is from February 5th: “But I got interrupted as she cut in and said ‘I never ever would have thought that you could be so selfish.’”2 She also gives us detailed descriptions about her self-harming. Here is one example from Jan. 17th “There was blood everywhere and two of the cuts were very deep and gaping open wide.”3

From my own observations, I think the ideal audience is people that are struggling mentally whether it is depression, bipolar disorder, anxiety or posttraumatic stress disorder or any other disease that is related to these. Many might find it helpful to read that you are not the only one, and there are other people that are struggling with the same problems as you do. It can be brutal for children under 18 years old to read all the self-harming details, but the reality is that “Approximately 20% of adolescents have a diagnosable mental health disorder,” and “Suicide is the third leading cause of death in adolescents and young adults” (Source: National Center for Children in Poverty). My point is that both teenagers and adults might be in the reaching group for this blog. But mycrazybipolarlife can also be a useful blog for people who want to learn more about how it is to live with all these mental problems or for people who are seeking tips about how to “tackle” friends or family that are struggling with psychological disorders. Other people might also find it entertaining to read about the daily life of a “crazy person.” When it comes to the rhetorical tools she is using, she is definitely using pathos for the most part. She is talking about her life and explaining how she feels in every situation, and maybe trying to evoke emotions, values or beliefs from her readers.

In my opinion, the main audience for this blog is people from 13-40 years who are struggling mentally. There are not a lot of people commenting on this blog, but the people who do comment seem like they are very supportive of her. They leave comments such as: “I just wanted you to know you’re not alone I’m right by your side.” and “I hope we’ll find happiness and meaning soon. I know it’s difficult.” Her commenters tell her over and over again how they understand her, and give her support. Most of the commenters end their comment with an X, which represent a kiss. One person that comments a lot is “The Quiet Borderline (back in hospital).” This person is very supportive and understanding, and also underlines my theory that the main audience is people who have a psychological disorder (Borderline Personality disorder, in this case).

Next I will discuss how the blog work with its audience. She has a good overview on her blog, with different tabs, so new readers can get an insight in what the whole blog is about and her background. She also uses the blog to help people with the same problems as her, with a lot of tips and links. She also uses the blog as an outburst for her own emotions, which according to her is somewhat therapeutic. She also says “it has helped me find other people who can relate to the same things as me.” So the blog might work as a center for people with the same conditions to meat, exchange experience and emotions, support each other and learn from each other.

References:

1.http://mycrazybipolarlife.wordpress.com/my-story/ (12:17. 02.10.2013)
2. http://mycrazybipolarlife.wordpress.com/ (13:45 02.10.2013)
3. http://mycrazybipolarlife.wordpress.com/page/2/ (13:49 02.10.2013)

http://www.nccp.org/publications/pub_878.html (14.15 02.10.2013)

Katrine Haarklau
Beginner
Beginner

Back to top Go down