English 1000
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chapter 3 BvB

Go down

Chapter 3 BvB Empty Chapter 3 BvB

Post  OliviaPeterkin Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:35 pm

So, I picked Chapter 3 for a couple of reasons; one, it was the closest in relation to the whole segregation and literacy. Two because it was the easiest to read and connect. I also thought that the chapter seemed attention grabbing mostly because it goes more into detail about the whole Brown v. Board of Education (BvB) discussion and the rate of desegregation in an area of the south. I know a lot about what happened during and before the desegregation movement, but there are many gaps in my memory concerning what the aftermath consisted of.
That time period was so crucial to the nation and how it would be affected by not only the school systems but desegregation as a whole.

After reading the Introduction, I noticed that there are many instances brought up by the author that show how the case of Brown v. Board of Education was such a pivotal moment in the fight to end segregation and in turn, created the social environment that we Americans live in today. the author clued us as reader into the fact that she planned to focus on events that took place after BvB and study what was going on with literacy during that time period. I think that she thought that there was a correlation between race and literacy at that time, obviously the African-Americans weren't as well educated as White people back then. The author supports this with the argument of how during civil war times, African Americans weren't allowed to learn how to read or write. Done! rabbit

OliviaPeterkin
Dirigible Air Captain
Dirigible Air Captain

Back to top Go down