English 1000
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Analyzing Rhetorical Situation

+4
Yingying
WBK95
Sailor WAN
Ziqi Xiao
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Analyzing Rhetorical Situation Empty Analyzing Rhetorical Situation

Post  Ziqi Xiao Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:55 pm

There are four basic foundations are included in rhetorical: writer, reader, text, and medium. In the daily life, analyzing rhetorical situation happens frequently, when you think about something that you need to have several questions and how to solve them. Rhetorical analysis is necessary to guide your writing. As the article say, "effective writers draw on their commonsense rhetorical sensitivity to determine the most effective ways to communicate with readers." Also, when you decide to write an essay, writing a analysis of rhetorical situation or thinking about the questions assists you to write a significant essay. So, setting preliminary goals is important for your writing.

In addition, there are three appeals which are logos, pathos, and ethos, when speaker and writers communicate with others. As for me, when i write online, i appeal ethos, because i need to read the article and think about the credibility of the writer.

Ziqi Xiao
Goose
Goose

Back to top Go down

Analyzing Rhetorical Situation Empty #2 assignment

Post  Ziqi Xiao Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:36 pm

1. Kairos is a Greek word describes the right time and opportunity to strike timely action.
2. Weblog is a main medium in today’s internet environment. I think the mainly problem is the authenticity of the messages came from the weblog. Because people are free to create the weblog and have enough freedom of expression. Some fake and unreal talking may leads the chaos happened.
3. The importance of voyeurism is that people need to think about the reality of every messages from weblog. Don't easily judge a thing right or fault, we should develop unique voice and see the situation for what is really is.

Ziqi Xiao
Goose
Goose

Back to top Go down

Analyzing Rhetorical Situation Empty Assignment #3

Post  Ziqi Xiao Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:46 am

I would like to introduce the blog named Pinch My Salt, which is the best food blog by Blog Rank. In this blog, there are a great amount of fine food photos are posted. Several food photos are showing how the food cooked and other photographs share about the blogger and her friends with their cooked food. One example of her recent food sharing is Cranberry Orange Scones. From this article, it describes seven steps of cooking this food, and what kind of materials they need to prepare. According to “Bursting with cranberries and bright orange flavor, these sweet buttery little scones are my new favorite winter treat. They are easy to put together and perfect to share with friends and family”, would you like to try it as well?

From my personal perspective, the ideal audiences are people who interested in cooking special foods and eating delicious foods, such as food lover, chef as well as housewives. For instance, I am a real chow hound, I always eat up whatever is offered at a dinner. I am addicted to food deeply. As for me, one of the happiest things in my daily life is eating food which is my favorite. Also, I expect that I am capable of cooking food which I love, and sharing my works in the website. Thus, I will be the ideal audience for this blog. In addition, housewives might also love this blog, because housewives are willing to make some special foods to their family, and create something new every day, otherwise, housewives should feel bored, and be complained in their daily life.

In this blog, the ideal audiences can frequently communicate with each others to share their works, and comments. They are able to discuss how they cook the food which is taught from this blog or share that they create new special foods easily. When people who make something new get others’ compliment, they achieve the personal value in this blog.

In conclusion, Pinch My Salt is one of the best food blog for sharing food and it is a good medium for collect food lovers to share the experience of cooking food and comment with each others in their daily life. When i read this blog, i think i will try the Cranberry Orange Scones, it is easy to cook and i hope my friends will love it!

Blog Link:
http://pinchmysalt.com/

Ziqi Xiao
Goose
Goose

Back to top Go down

Analyzing Rhetorical Situation Empty Video Assignment #4

Post  Ziqi Xiao Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:16 am

In the first part of this video, President Obama answers questions from Republicans about the budget, health care reform and bipartisanship. It is using ethos to given example and evidence to prove the situation on 21st century. “We've gotten caught up in the political game in a way that’s just not healthy. It’s dividing our country in ways that are preventing us from meeting the challenges of the 21st century,” President Obama said.
In the second part of this video, NewsHour correspondent Judy Woodruff talks to Republican Representative Jeb Hensarling, about how he felt about the president’s exchange with Republicans. From this part, Obama used pathos to express his emotions and his opinion. Also, he thought about the presidents' exchange, it is his viewpoint, but he couldn't change the things happened in the future. It just is his expectation.

Ziqi Xiao
Goose
Goose

Back to top Go down

Analyzing Rhetorical Situation Empty Re: Analyzing Rhetorical Situation

Post  Sailor WAN Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:17 pm

Ziqi Xiao wrote:I would like to introduce the blog named Pinch My Salt, which is the best food blog by Blog Rank. In this blog, there are a great amount of fine food photos are posted. Several food photos are showing how the food cooked and other photographs share about the blogger and her friends with their cooked food. One example of her recent food sharing is Cranberry Orange Scones. From this article, it describes seven steps of cooking this food, and what kind of materials they need to prepare. According to “Bursting with cranberries and bright orange flavor, these sweet buttery little scones are my new favorite winter treat. They are easy to put together and perfect to share with friends and family”, would you like to try it as well?

From my personal perspective, the ideal audiences are people who interested in cooking special foods and eating delicious foods, such as food lover, chef as well as housewives. For instance, I am a real chow hound, I always eat up whatever is offered at a dinner. I am addicted to food deeply. As for me, one of the happiest things in my daily life is eating food which is my favorite. Also, I expect that I am capable of cooking food which I love, and sharing my works in the website. Thus, I will be the ideal audience for this blog. In addition, housewives might also love this blog, because housewives are willing to make some special foods to their family, and create something new every day, otherwise, housewives should feel bored, and be complained in their daily life.

In this blog, the ideal audiences can frequently communicate with each others to share their works, and comments. They are able to discuss how they cook the food which is taught from this blog or share that they create new special foods easily. When people who make something new get others’ compliment, they achieve the personal value in this blog.

In conclusion, Pinch My Salt is one of the best food blog for sharing food and it is a good medium for collect food lovers to share the experience of cooking food and comment with each others in their daily life. When i read this blog, i think i will try the Cranberry Orange Scones, it is easy to cook and i hope my friends will love it!

Blog Link:
Thank you for giving the blog link.That's helpful. I love food,too. Maybe everybody love food. cheers cheers cheers The food blog is useful for food lovers. They can easily get recipes from the blog. Self cook, self eat will have a lot of fun.

Sailor WAN
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sailor WAN Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:22 pm

Ziqi Xiao wrote:
2. Weblog is a main medium in today’s internet environment. I think the mainly problem is the authenticity of the messages came from the weblog. Because people are free to create the weblog and have enough freedom of expression. Some fake and unreal talking may leads the chaos happened.

Chaos does happen when someone writes fake things on his or her blog.

Following is a part of my reading response.
Sailor WAN wrote:
In 2011, someone posted a weblog in which he or she wrote that ocean around China is currently be polluted by the nuclear leakage, so we cannot get irradiated salt anymore. In a week, salt's price was twenty times higher than usual and salt was sold out in most supermarket in China. It found out that the information was fabricated at last, but it still caused inflation and market disorder in China. So, I agree with it.

Sailor WAN
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Analyzing Rhetorical Situation Empty Ong's Paper Read part I (part one).

Post  Ziqi Xiao Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:10 pm

From part one, the author said that "LITERACY is imperious. It tends to arrogate to itself supreme power by taking itself as normative for human expression and thought." It indicates the meaning of literacy, and how literacy used. In dictionary, the literacy means the abilities of reading and writing. Also, according to " Recent research work, however, in the field and in the library, is I offering the opportunity to overcome our chirographic (and typo- / graphic) bias: This work has deepened our understanding of what I have styled primary orality, the orality of cultures with no knowledge
at all of writing, as contrasted with what I have styled secondary orality, the electronic orality of radio and 'television, which grows out of high-literacy cultures, depending for its invention and operation on the widespread cultivation of writing and reading." It shows that there are two oralities, which are the orality of cultures with no knowledge, and the electronic orality.

Ziqi Xiao
Goose
Goose

Back to top Go down

Analyzing Rhetorical Situation Empty literacy 's question

Post  Ziqi Xiao Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:30 pm

James Paul Gee's definition of literacy: a socially accepted association among ways of using language, of thinking, and of acting that can be used to identify oneself as a member of a socially meaningful group or a social network. And then, Gee thinks of discourse as in “identity kit” which comes complete with the appropriate costume and instructions on how to act and talk so as to take on a particular role that others will recognize.

Yes, it changed my understanding of literacy. I thought the meaning of literacy is the abilities of reading and writing. But, now, I learn that the literacy can use language, thinking and acting. Every act of speaking, writing, and behaving a linguist does as a linguist is meaningful only against the background of the whole social institution of linguistics and that institution is made up of concrete things like people, books and buildings; abstract things like bodies of knowledge, values, norms and beliefs; mixtures of concrete and abstract things like universities, journals and publishers, as well as a shared history and shared stories.

Ziqi Xiao
Goose
Goose

Back to top Go down

Post  WBK95 Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:17 pm

Ziqi Xiao wrote:James Paul Gee's definition of literacy: a socially accepted association among ways of using language, of thinking, and of acting that can be used to identify oneself as a member of a socially meaningful group or a social network. And then, Gee thinks of discourse as in “identity kit” which comes complete with the appropriate costume and instructions on how to act and talk so as to take on a particular role that others will recognize.

Yes, it changed my understanding of literacy. I thought the meaning of literacy is the abilities of reading and writing. But, now, I learn that the literacy can use language, thinking and acting. Every act of speaking, writing, and behaving a linguist does as a linguist is meaningful only against the background of the whole social institution of linguistics and that institution is made up of concrete things like people, books and buildings; abstract things like bodies of knowledge, values, norms and beliefs; mixtures of concrete and abstract things like universities, journals and publishers, as well as a shared history and shared stories.

I totally agree with you, I think literacy is all about reading and writing. Literacy is a language thing, however, I changed my mind after I learned the definition of the literacy from Gee

WBK95
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  Yingying Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:51 pm

Ziqi Xiao wrote:I would like to introduce the blog named Pinch My Salt, which is the best food blog by Blog Rank. In this blog, there are a great amount of fine food photos are posted. Several food photos are showing how the food cooked and other photographs share about the blogger and her friends with their cooked food. One example of her recent food sharing is Cranberry Orange Scones. From this article, it describes seven steps of cooking this food, and what kind of materials they need to prepare. According to “Bursting with cranberries and bright orange flavor, these sweet buttery little scones are my new favorite winter treat. They are easy to put together and perfect to share with friends and family”, would you like to try it as well?

Blog Link:

i like food too Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes are you good at cooking cyclops

Yingying
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  kelly1994 Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:21 am

It's a goo blog because they have so many beautiful pictures that make me hungry!

Blog Link:

kelly1994
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sailor WAN Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:51 pm

Yingying wrote:

Blog Link:

i like food too Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes are you good at cooking cyclops
I like people who can cook.!

Sailor WAN
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  WBK95 Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:04 pm

i like food too Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes are you good at cooking cyclops[/quote]
I like people who can cook.![/quote]

No one could live without food, I think we may hang out sometime to eat.

WBK95
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  lzh Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:03 pm

Sailor WAN wrote:
Yingying wrote:

Blog Link:

I find more and more people like food nowadays Laughing ,I like food, too.

lzh
Goose
Goose

Back to top Go down

Analyzing Rhetorical Situation Empty 3 literacy stories

Post  Ziqi Xiao Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:52 am

1. When i was young, i always wrote wrong name on the front of my book. My classmates were laughing at me, and i felt so embarrassed. I remember that when i was sad because of classmates' laughing, my teacher were so kind with me. She help me how to write my name patiently, and i was learned many knowledge from her. About one weeks past, i knew how to writing correctly and my teacher were proud of me.

2. My father is a reading and writing lover, so he enjoys going to library so much times one week. Because of him, i am willing to go to library also to improve my reading and writing skills. I am attracted by the plenty of books.

3. I love my bathroom. It is not only my bathroom for relaxing, but also a studying room for my to reading and writing. It is not a big room, but i really like to writing and reading something in this small room. I can image lots of things above the books that i read. That feel is wonderful.

Ziqi Xiao
Goose
Goose

Back to top Go down

Post  milan_chen Sat May 09, 2015 8:44 pm

Ziqi Xiao wrote:1. When i was young, i always wrote wrong name on the front of my book. My classmates were laughing at me, and i felt so embarrassed. I remember that when i was sad because of classmates' laughing, my teacher were so kind with me. She help me how to write my name patiently, and i was learned many knowledge from her. About one weeks past, i knew how to writing correctly and my teacher were proud of me.

2. My father is a reading and writing lover, so he enjoys going to library so much times one week. Because of him, i am willing to go to library also to improve my reading and writing skills. I am attracted by the plenty of books.

3. I love my bathroom. It is not only my bathroom for relaxing, but also a studying room for my to reading and writing. It is not a big room, but i really like to writing and reading something in this small room. I can image lots of things above the books that i read. That feel is wonderful.
as for your third story, i think it must be a unique experience lol

milan_chen
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  milan_chen Sat May 09, 2015 8:46 pm

lzh wrote:
Sailor WAN wrote:
Yingying wrote:

Blog Link:

food is amazing!! love trying new kinds of food!

milan_chen
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  Yingying Tue May 12, 2015 12:24 am

Blog Link:

wow~~~i like it~~~~i like eating very much. but i am too fat. i am so sad. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Yingying
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  Yingying Tue May 12, 2015 12:32 am

Yingying wrote:

Blog Link:

wow~~~i like it~~~~i like eating very much. but i am too fat. i am so sad. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

i am so hungry now Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

Yingying
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Analyzing Rhetorical Situation Empty a little empty

Post  zzy8987 Wed May 13, 2015 11:05 pm

Cool
zzy8987
zzy8987
Beginner
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Post  kelly1994 Thu May 14, 2015 6:26 pm

Blog Link:
it seems very delicious! it does introduces some good food there!

kelly1994
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  kelly1994 Thu May 14, 2015 6:26 pm

zzy8987 wrote:Cool
what does this mean?

kelly1994
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  kelly1994 Thu May 14, 2015 6:27 pm

Yingying wrote:
Yingying wrote:

Blog Link:

i am so hungry now Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad
me too!

kelly1994
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  kelly1994 Thu May 14, 2015 6:27 pm

Yingying wrote:

Blog Link:

you've got to be kidding me!

kelly1994
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  kelly1994 Thu May 14, 2015 6:28 pm

milan_chen wrote:
lzh wrote:
Sailor WAN wrote:
Yingying wrote:

i love trying new things too!

Blog Link:

food is amazing!! love trying new kinds of food!

kelly1994
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next