English 1000
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Two Sources

Go down

Two Sources Empty Two Sources

Post  mackenzie_lafayette Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:21 pm

For my big question topic, "Does the Universe have a purpose?" I chose two articles supporting my belief which is that yes, the Universe does have a purpose. "Yes." by John F. Haught and "Yes." by Owen Gingerich both support my thoughts on the Universe's purpose. Although it may not be anything huge or life changing I believe we are here for a reason and the fact that we can even ask ourselves why we are here proves there is something inside of us that says we have meaning.

"Yes." by John F. Haught says that "The impassioned search for meaning, perhaps our species' most distinctive trait, is not a longing that lifts us out of the universe, or that takes place outside of nature. We are, after all, as much a part of nature as roaches and rivers. So too is our thirst for meaning." I agree that the search for meaning is a huge trait in everybody and therefore if we find a a meaning within ourself I feel like it would fill that void and that unanswered question within us. He also said that "As long as you are drawn toward truth, so also is the natural world that gave birth to your mind. The two, after all, are inseparable. As long as the search for truth persists, not only can you trust your mind, you can also trust the universe that has germinated such an exquisite means of opening itself to what is timelessly worth treasuring" That goes along with finding meaning within yourself and stay true to who you are the meaning of your life will be greater.

"Yes." by Owen Gingerich states that our greatest intellectual challenge is to figure out a little bit what exactly our purpose is and why we are here. He talks about how it took millions of years to make carbon and that if it was slightly off then no one would be here. It is amazing to think that everything was made exactly perfect so that Earth can have life. I think just because of that, the perfectness of everything gives us a bigger purpose and a greater meaning for life. He ends by saying this, "With God's experiment comes the freedom of choice, and I choose to believe in a purposeful universe." Everything was made for a reason and no matter what you believe in, whether it be a higher power or a scientific thing there is still purpose in why we are here.

mackenzie_lafayette
Beginner
Beginner

Back to top Go down