English 1000
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 article summary

4 posters

Go down

2 article summary Empty 2 article summary

Post  AustinTri Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:22 pm

I decided to research the question whether violent video games make the kids playing the games act more violent. I found very contradicting sources. One says yes, kids who play these games act in a more violent manner, whereas the other article says that it doesn't effect behavior at all. The study that says yes, states that kids playing violent video games make the kids want to actually partake in the violent manner of the games, which makes some of the kids act on the urge to shoot and kill things. I believe this because when I played these types of games I would think about these things, but would never act on it. The article that says no the behavior does not make the kids act in a violent manner, suggests that most of the time these kids that are acting on the urge already have mental issues and playing the games do not have anything to do with this. When writing my paper I will be using the first article as my argument because evidence supports this side more that the other side.

When someone asks me if I think video games effect the players behavior I say yes. While playing violent games it is common for the player to want to make the game more realistic and therefor acting on this passion. This usually ends up with the player actually taking peoples lives, or there own in the act of trying to make the video game come to life. The articles that say video games do not effect the way people act I do not believe this because studies show that it does, the evidence is there. I researched both questions, the one in the first paragraph and second, the first paragraph suggests a lot more hard evidence which is why I will be using that article.

AustinTri
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

2 article summary Empty Re: 2 article summary

Post  AlliLadd Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:31 pm

When we peer edited our paper in class on Wednesday, your paper had a good start! However, keep in mind the sources might not be extremely reliable. I'm having the same problem finding articles that are paper worthy. Make sure you stay on the topic of violence with video games!

AlliLadd
Dirigible Air Captain
Dirigible Air Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  OliviaPeterkin Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:55 pm

Interesting topic, one that's been talked about consistently practically since the invention of video games. I say this because, its should be easier to find specific sources and even psychological studies on the effect that violent video games have on children. Don't forget to site your sources in some way, and I agree with Alli that you should make an effort to fact check them. Because it is such a popular topic, it would also be easy to find unhelpful information. cat

OliviaPeterkin
Dirigible Air Captain
Dirigible Air Captain

Back to top Go down

2 article summary Empty Use both sources

Post  adamlowe Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:43 pm

I think finding contradictory sources like that really is a good thing. Pick whichever side you agree with, in this case that it does effet them and then go with that but don't be afraid to use the source that contradicts it. You can use a quote and tell why you disagree with it. Makes your paper more well rounded and shows that you have thought about the subject.

adamlowe
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

2 article summary Empty My topic

Post  AustinTri Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:27 pm

This topic is one that I am very passionate about because of the fact that I am a very strong Catholic. Nobody will ever know whether God and Science can coexist because there is no right or wrong answer, just beliefs.

AustinTri
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum