English 1000
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Two sources

Go down

Two sources Empty Two sources

Post  adamlowe Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:26 pm

My Big Topic Question was: Does the Universe have a purpose? I believe the universe does have a purpose. It may not be anything big but I believe the fact that we have evolved and educated ourselves enough to ask and respond to questions such as that show us that we do have a purpose. Our purpose is to think, grow and above all else to try and discover what that purpose is.

This idea was supported by John F. Haught in his article, "Yes." He states that "The fact that we can ask such a question at all suggests an affirmative answer. The impassioned search for meaning, perhaps our species' most distinctive trait, is not a longing that lifts us out of the universe, or that takes place outside of nature." I couldn't agree more with this and basically what he is saying is that our purpose may be smaller then we think, it may just be to find our what our individual purpose is.

The other article that I plan on using is also titled "Yes." and is written by Owen Gingerich. In this essay he states in the second sentence that he believes if nothing else our purpose is to find our purpose in the universe. As the essay goes on he elaborates on this by saying, "Quite possibly, the purpose of the universe is to provide a congenial home for self-conscious creatures who can ask profound questions and who can probe the nature of the universe itself." Again he believes if we can educate ourselves and continue to evolve then we have a purpose in life.

adamlowe
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down