English 1000
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rhetorical Situation and Analysis

Go down

Rhetorical Situation and Analysis Empty Rhetorical Situation and Analysis

Post  BenPaul Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:33 pm

Rhetorical situations are situations where you use your prior knowledge and intuition to understand how to approach the situation. Rhetoric involves four key elements; writer, reader, text, and medium. Rhetorical analysis is the decision you make on what to say/write to someone else. Rhetorical analysis can be used to persuade, entertain, or inform.

When I right on a forum like this, I would consider my self an Ethos writer because I am trying to explain my opinions in a professional way so that other people can understand them. When I write a paper or an essay I would consider myself a Pathos writer because I try and be passionate about my beliefs and explain them to my readers.

BenPaul
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Rhetorical Situation and Analysis Empty Blog Reading Response

Post  BenPaul Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:37 pm

Kairos is the opportune moment for speech or action.

A modern concern that I see with weblog is the invasion of privacy. In the examples above the reading, the bloggers were talking about extremely personal matters. The bloggers did not intend for their blog to gain so much popularity and to cause conflict in their personal lives. I think that the bloggers just wanted to go online and vent about their problems to a few people, not to thousands of people and beyond. The point of a blog should be to enhance lives not tear them apart. My concern with blogging is the fact that you are putting your personal information on the internet for everyone to see, hear share, and so on.

The importance of voyeurism in writing or reading is that we have to see things to believe them. If we don't actually see something there is no way of knowing that it is 100% true.

Questions:
1.) How does voyeurism relate to this article about blogs?
2.)Do all bloggers want their personal information to go viral? Or do they just want to have a few people listen to them while they vent about personal affairs?
3.)Are reality television shows a realistic model of what happens in everyday life?

BenPaul
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Rhetorical Situation and Analysis Empty Q&A Response

Post  BenPaul Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:02 pm

The Republican politician that asks the first question of the night is very clever. The Republican talks about how a little boy wrote a letter to the President saying that there are not enough jobs in America. The boy and his family are very poor because his parents can't find work.This is a direct use of pathos. The Republican is trying to show the emotional side of the unemployment rate and make the president feel bad about it. The Republican asks President Obama, Would the President "embrace the plan for tax relief that the republicans have advocated, that president Kennedy advocated, that Reagan advocated, and has always been the means for stimulating economic growth". When the speaker mentions previous Presidents advocating this tax relief plan, he is using the logos mode of persuasion because he is showing that successful presidents embraced the Republicans tax relief plan. At the beginning of the question, the Republican Speaker says, in the name of the little boy (David Carter Jr.) and struggling families across America will you embrace this tax relief plan. This is where the pathos mode of persuasion comes in.

I thought most of the Republicans were very polite on with their words to the President all night. But, their tone is another story. While they were being polite to the president with their words, they had a tone in their voice that just made it seem like they were all irritated with the President.

BenPaul
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Rhetorical Situation and Analysis Empty 4 Paragraphs About Our Blog

Post  BenPaul Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:52 pm

PRESENTATION OF THE BLOG
The blog that I am choosing is called Viva El Birdos, and it is a website where anyone can go on and post about the St. Louis Cardinals. In one of the blog posts, the title is, “The Cardinals: Sorry we’re so annoying at being good at baseball.” This title just shows that St. Louis fans know other teams/fans don’t like the Cardinals but in St. Louis we LOVE the Cardinals. This blog presents itself as a website where Cardinals fans can go and check on how other St. Louis fans feel about how the team is doing at any given time.
“Viva El Birdos”, the title of this blog, explains the message right away to anyone who finds this website. The title is saying that St. Louis fans are always cheering for the Cardinals no matter what the circumstances.

WHO IS THE AUDIENCE
The ideal audience for Viva El Birdos is St. Louis Cardinals fans. The Audience could also be any baseball fan who is just trying to see what’s happening in the Cardinals world. Posts from this website come from anyone who wants to post about the Cardinals, whether it be about the team, an individual player, injuries, etc.

DESCRIBE THE AUDIENCE
From what I’ve seen on this website the posts from the audience are very professional. This blog is not supposed to be funny or sarcastic. It is a blog where true Cardinals fans come to talk about how the team is doing. They communicate through comment sections under each individual blog post, and the comments are other people’s opinions or feelings about the persons post. All of the audience seems to have one value in common, and that is the fact that we all want the Cardinals to succeed.

CLAIM ABOUT THE BLOG
One Claim that I think I can make about Viva El Birdos is that the website is a great and appropriate way for Cardinals fans to share information with other cardinals fans. It’s different than a show like SportsCenter because the blog posts are from ordinary people that most likely live in St. Louis about how they feel about the Cardinals. I think this is really cool because its average peoples opinion about a team that we all love in St. Louis.

BenPaul
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Rhetorical Situation and Analysis Empty WRITING IS A TECHNOLOGY THAT RESTRUCTURES THOUGHT

Post  BenPaul Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:31 pm

From the beginning of this article, Ong's general argument is literacy is a normative and normal, simple mechanical skill. He says to be illiterate is like being deviant to the dominant culture.

Quotes that illustrate Ong's general argument:

"Literacy is regarded as so unquestionably normative and normal, the deviancy of illiterates tends to be thought of as lack of a simple mechanical skill."

"Such views of writing as simply a mechanical skill obligatory for all human beings distort our understanding of what is human if only because they block understanding of what natural human mental processes are before writing takes possession of consciousness."

BenPaul
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Rhetorical Situation and Analysis Empty Outline for Paper #3

Post  BenPaul Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:24 pm

Ben Paul

Title

1) Introduction
a) One or two statistics about the use of medical marijuana
b) Briefly discuss where the U.S. is at with the legalization of marijuana
c) Thesis
d) Introduce the ideas for the body of the paper
2) Talk about how marijuana relates to medicine
a) Discuss the pros and cons
b) Show both sides of the argument
c) Use statistics for both sides of the argument
d) Pyschosocial benefits/risks
e) Legislation
f) History of Cannabis in the U.S.
3) Conclusion
a) Wrap up the research paper by tying it all together
b) Bring one or two new ideas into the paper
c) Use one more statistic
d) Explain my opinion on the topic?
e)

BenPaul
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Rhetorical Situation and Analysis Empty Bibliography

Post  BenPaul Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:33 pm

Works Cited

Durkin, Anne. “Legalization of Marijuana for Non-Medical Use: Health, Policy, Socioeconomic, and Nursing Implications” Journal of Psychosocial Nursing and Mental Health Services : Volume 52, Issue 9: 22-26. Sept 2014.

Wells, Brenda. “Marijuana Legalization: Implications for Property/Casualty Insurance” Journal of Insurance Issues 37.1 : 77-92. Spring 2014.

Hickenlooper, John. “Experimenting with Pot: The State of Colorado’s Legalization of Marijuana” The Milbank Quarterly A Multidisciplinary Journal of Population Health and Health Policy: Volume 92, Issue 2, 243-249. June 2014.

Mckenna, Gerald. “The Current Status of Medical Marijuana in the United States” Hawai’i Journal of Medicine and Public Health: Volume 73, Issue 4, 105-108. April 2014.

Odabasi, Mehmet. “Decriminalizing Marijuana: Understanding Marijuana Debate Through History and Policy” European Scientific Journal: Volume 10, No. 1 Issue 1857-7881. January 2014.

Volkow, Nora. Baler, Ruben. Compton, Wilson. Weiss Susan. “Adverse Health Effects of Marijuana Use” The New England Journal of Medicine: Volume 370, Issue 23, p. 2219. June 2014.

Caplan, Gerald. “Medical Marijuana: A Study of Unintended Consequences” McGeorge Law Review: Volume 43, Issue 1. P. 127-146. January 2012.

BenPaul
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Rhetorical Situation and Analysis Empty Re: Rhetorical Situation and Analysis

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down