English 1000
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prewriting 1

2 posters

Go down

Prewriting 1 Empty Prewriting 1

Post  Jiahong Guan Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:38 pm

Prewriting 1

Is food security problem becoming more and more serious?

From Wikipedia:
Food security refers to the availability of food and one's access to it. A household is considered food-secure when its occupants do not live in hunger or fear of starvation. The USDA estimates the nearly 9 out of 10 U.S households were food secure throughout 2005. It is a measure of resilience to future disruption or unavailability of critical food supply due to various risk factors including droughts, shipping disruptions, fuel shortages, economic instability, wars, etc. The World Health Organization defines three facets of food security: food availability, food access, and food use. Food availability is having available sufficient quantities of food on a consistent basis. Food access is having sufficient resources, both economic and physical, to obtain appropriate foods for a nutritious diet. Food use is the appropriate use based on knowledge of basic nutrition and care, as well as adequate water and sanitation. A new peer-reviewed journal of Food Security: The Science, Sociology and Economics of Food Production and Access to Food began publishing in 2009 stated that in developing countries, often 70% or more of the population lives in rural areas suffered the food security problems.
Due to the climate deterioration, energy shortage and economy instability, food security problem becomes increasingly serious.

Climate change and agriculture:
According to the Climate & Development Knowledge Network report Managing Climate Extremes and Disasters in the Agriculture Sectors: Lessons from the IPCC SREX Report, the impacts will include changing productivity and livelihood patterns, economic losses, and impacts on infrastructure, markets and food security. Food security in future will be linked to our ability to adapt agricultural systems to extreme events. For example, the Garifuna women in Honduras are helping to ensure food security locally by reviving and improving production of traditional root crops, building up traditional methods of soil conservation, carrying out training in organic composting and pesticide use and creating the first Garifuna farmers' market. Sixteen towns have worked together to establish tool and seed banks. Efforts to plant wild fruit trees along the coast are helping to prevent soil erosion. The aim is to reduce the communities' vulnerability to the hazards of shifting weather patterns.

Global issues:
A convergence of factors has made food security one of the most important global issues. An increasing population wants a more varied diet, but is trying to grow more food on less land with limited access to water, all the time facing increased costs for fertiliser, and fuel for storage and transport. “Problem”: food production is not sufficient, water stress and desertification is reducing the amount of arable land; many pests are becoming resistant to insecticides, such as India and China have an increased appetite for meat, and climate change is bringing new microbial diseases to food-growing regions along with more extreme and unpredictable weather patterns. “Pestilence”: Estimates vary, but around 25% of crops can be lost to pests and diseases, such as insects, fungi and other plant pathogens. “Waste”: due to pest and stored or transported artificially. “Water deficient” and “Climate change”. “Sustainability”: Food production produces significant quantities of GHGs, and there are concerns that meeting the food security challenge must be achieved sustainably.

Future trends:
The world’s population is predicted to reach 9Bn by 2050, 90% of which will occur in the developing world where water is already scarce. Obesity will increase in rapidly. 70% of the world’s population will live in urban areas by 2050 – compared to 50% now. Production is decreasing and consumption is increasing due to the increasing numbers of people. The aggregation of environment adversely influenced the food security. It would become severe due to the water pollution and deficciency.

http://www.who.int/trade/glossary/story028/en/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_security

http://www.foodsecurity.ac.uk/issue/future.html

Jiahong Guan
Goose
Goose

Back to top Go down

Prewriting 1 Empty Response to your Research Question

Post  Minsoo Soh Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:13 pm

Um....

When I read your research questions and your resources, I automatically think of this question.

What are the causes of global starvation?

Isn't this related to your question?

What do you think?

Minsoo Soh
Goose
Goose

Back to top Go down

Prewriting 1 Empty Re: Prewriting 1

Post  Jiahong Guan Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:04 pm

Minsoo Soh wrote:Um....

When I read your research questions and your resources, I automatically think of this question.

What are the causes of global starvation?

Isn't this related to your question?

What do you think?

Well I have changed my question to "why did the food security problem become worse than before?"
The causes of global starvation is some thing like droughts, shipping disruptions, fuel shortages, economic instability, wars. For example, droughts, becasue it happened, there are not sufficient food to be harvetsed as it would be before. Also because of our limited ability to adapt agricultural systems to extreme events, starvation might happen.
It is related to my question I think.

Jiahong Guan
Goose
Goose

Back to top Go down

Post  Jiahong Guan Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:07 pm

I changed my question to "why did the food security problem become worse than before?"

Jiahong Guan
Goose
Goose

Back to top Go down

Post  Minsoo Soh Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:12 pm

Jiahong Guan wrote:I changed my question to "why did the food security problem become worse than before?"

Yes, I totally agree with you. There are a lot of factors that contribute to global starvation. However, some of the factors could be solved now since our world is getting globalized and developed. However, I think the factors that you are mentioned does not contribute to last long global starvation. The factors are not occured frequently.

I like your new question, but why don't you more specify it? For example, put like certain period, or region.

Minsoo Soh
Goose
Goose

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down