English 1000
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 summaries of articles

5 posters

Go down

2 summaries of articles  Empty 2 summaries of articles

Post  StephanieWun Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:54 am

1. Schizophrenia is a mental illness that typically develops in late adolescence or early adulthood, but it is possible that it can strike at any time through out ones life. The signs and symptoms differ from individual to individual. The symptoms include: delusions, hallucinations, bizarre behavior, disorganized speech, “negative symptoms” and decline in their level of functioning. Just as different people with schizophrenia can have different symptoms, the effective treatment for each person is different. These treatments include: medication, education, individual/group and family therapy, hospitalization, support groups and residential, day-treatment and vocation programs.

-"What Is Schizophrenia?" /What Is Schizophrenia?/ John Hopkins Medicine, n.d. Web. 14 Nov. 2012. web.

2. Schizophrenia is a disorder that makes it difficult to distinguish between what is real and unreal, think clearly, manage emotions, relate to others, and function normally. Even though schizophrenia can be a very serious disorder, it can be managed. The first step is to identify the signs and symptoms. The second step is to seek help without delay and the third is to stick with the treatment. With the right treatment and support, a person with schizophrenia can lead a happy, fulfilling life. Schizophrenia is a brain disorder that affects the way a person acts, thinks, and sees the world. Individuals with schizophrenia have an altered perception of reality, often a significant loss of contact with reality. Sometimes individuals may see or hear things that don’t exist, speak in strange or confusing ways, believe that others are trying to harm them, or feel like they’re being constantly watched. There can be environmental causes or abnormal brain structures that can cause the disorder in an individual.

-"Schizophrenia." : /Signs, Symptoms, Types, Causes, and Effects/. N.p., n.d. Web. 14 Nov. 2012. web.

Last edited by StephanieWun on Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : including links)

StephanieWun
Beginner
Beginner

Back to top Go down

2 summaries of articles  Empty Re: 2 summaries of articles

Post  AlliLadd Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:07 pm

So is your question just, "what is schizophrenia" Question I think it might be more beneficial to narrow it down, it might make it more interesting to read. Not saying it's a boring topic, just a little more difficult to follow.

AlliLadd
Dirigible Air Captain
Dirigible Air Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  OliviaPeterkin Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:12 am

I like your topic (schizophrenia),I think it is an interesting psychological ailment, I'm just not 100% sure as to what your stance is or what question your asking. I'd include the fact that schizophrenia and bi polar disorder are different and why. study

OliviaPeterkin
Dirigible Air Captain
Dirigible Air Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  AlliLadd Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:18 pm

Ehh I have to disagree. I feel that using Bipolar vs. schizophrenia would be more confusing. If you develop a question centered around schizophrenia, it would be a lot easier to understand.

AlliLadd
Dirigible Air Captain
Dirigible Air Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  OliviaPeterkin Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:44 pm

Thats okay, you're entitled to your opinion. It's just that people easily get the two confused and it would be helpful to readers who don't know the difference. Not a paragraph or anything, but a sentence or two: "Blah blah blah.... some might confuse schizophrenia with bi polar disorder, in actuality, the 2 are different because bipolar disorder stems from manic depression....blah and schizophrenia includes hallucinations that...blah. Since in this post she hasn't developed a stance or question any ideas could prove beneficial. drunken

OliviaPeterkin
Dirigible Air Captain
Dirigible Air Captain

Back to top Go down

2 summaries of articles  Empty Clarify your topic

Post  adamlowe Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:50 pm

This is very interesting. Anytime you begin talking about mental diseases you will have plenty of sources however your topic does seem a little broad. It would be nice if you clarrified it and maybe simplified it a little bit more. Good start though.

adamlowe
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  AustinTri Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:01 pm

I really like this topic. I think it is really interesting. Schizophrenia is such a fascinating mental disease that I would like to see you really get into this research and gather some good information to go by for your project.

AustinTri
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  AlliLadd Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:18 pm

I have a lot of notes on Schiz. if you need more information/time on your presentation. Really conveniently, thats the last thing we learned about in Psychology!

AlliLadd
Dirigible Air Captain
Dirigible Air Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down