English 1000
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Two Summaries

5 posters

Go down

Two Summaries  Empty Two Summaries

Post  AlliLadd Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:26 am

Media's Negative Effects Increasing Eating Disorders and Preventing Them

[Only admins are allowed to see this link]

With so much media (TV, movies, magazines, and internet) available to teens now, there is a direct correlation with eating disorders (anorexia and bulimia). The media's portrayal of what ideal body image is, leads to poor self image and self-esteem, adding to the pressure of being that ideal image. It has become increasingly harder throughout history to achieve this Ideal Body Image, shaped by social context. The current influence of media is everywhere, and has become very powerful which only adds to increased body dissatisfaction among women, as well as men. To reduce the influences of media, parents need to limit their children's exposure to television and other forms of media, promote healthy eating habits and physical activity (not video games). Minimizing their exposure to negative influences can be powerful, and parents can be the solution to many problems children and adolescents face today.

[Only admins are allowed to see this link]

Media is a strong influence in development of body dissatisfaction and eating disorders. Studies done in this article indicate that following more television exposure, the young adolescent girls showed a big increase in disordered eating, and poor body image and self-esteem. Given the evidence about this poor body image and disordered eating in females in our society, and the direct correlation thats been found between eating disorders and the media, it would be prudent for professionals and the public to make this association known so it can be better prevented. By providing more self-esteem building messages to the public and focusing on ways to counter-act the effects of media, the correlation can slowly be reduced.

AlliLadd
Dirigible Air Captain
Dirigible Air Captain

Back to top Go down

Two Summaries  Empty Re: Two Summaries

Post  adamlowe Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:54 pm

It also might be cool if at the end of this essay you stated what can be done to help and change this problem. I know Eric told me it was okay to informalize your essay a little bit to interject with your own opinion.

adamlowe
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  AlliLadd Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:00 pm

I did my best but I probably could've added some detail about what goes into fixing the problems. Also not sure how I should put this into my final project...

AlliLadd
Dirigible Air Captain
Dirigible Air Captain

Back to top Go down

Two Summaries  Empty Final Project

Post  DanielSherwood Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:37 pm

I think in terms of your final and discussing solutions, I agree with Adam. If you depict some possible solutions, I think it would give your final a little more personality. Even many discuss medical marijuana and the controversy surrounding that and its affects on anorexia.

DanielSherwood
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  adamlowe Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:08 pm

Yeah exactly, present the facts to us and then tell us what we can do to fix these issues and also what potentially other can do to help others.

adamlowe
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  DanielSherwood Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:33 pm

Also, like Adam said, tell us what we can do to help others. If you do this, your readers will see a compassionate side of you which will make them feel like they can trust you more and therefore they will believe you arguments much easier.

DanielSherwood
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  OliviaPeterkin Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:20 pm

I completely agree with Daniel and Adam's thoughts. Presenting the facts is important, as well as appealing to your reader's pathos by supplying information on helping others get past rough spots in these types of disorders. Using both logic and emotion would create a nice balance for your paper.

OliviaPeterkin
Dirigible Air Captain
Dirigible Air Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  AlliLadd Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:40 pm

I'm basically going to put my paper into a Prezi and transfer the information as much as possible! However, I think I need a little more in there to make the whole 5 minute limit.

AlliLadd
Dirigible Air Captain
Dirigible Air Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  DanielSherwood Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:50 pm

Ali, don't worry about time as much as quality. If you add too much "fluff" or filler, it will take away from the quality of the good information you're putting in. Put your information in and if you need more use graphs and pictures to fill as opposed to more and less vital information.

DanielSherwood
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Two Summaries  Empty Post

Post  AustinTri Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:50 pm

I agree with Daniel because if you add to much fluff then it will make the reader lose interest faster. The quicker and earlier that you get to the topic and the "juicy" stuff the more the reader will want to continue reading.

AustinTri
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  DanielSherwood Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:58 am

Yes Austin hit it exactly right. You must get to the "good stuff" early and grab your reader/ viewer early. Otherwise I think your seem to be in GREAT shape and I can't wait to see your final work. Hope the comments helped!

DanielSherwood
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum