English 1000
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is literacy?

Go down

What is literacy? Empty What is literacy?

Post  EricBruning Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:22 am

Gee goes into extreme detail about literacy. He explains how literacy is simply how different discourses of society interact. Each discourse is a certain type of person that includes their background, affiliations, environment, and many other aspects that make make us unique. When it comes to literacy, we are not individuals but a representative of that discourse and whether you are able to understand different discourses shows how broad your literacy is.

This doesn't exactly change my idea of literacy as much as it does my views on the different social groups and cultures in society. When it comes to literacy, he does an incredible job of describing it and says exactly what I was trying to come up with originally. He put terms and explanations to things that I really haven't though about when it comes to literacy. His whole idea of different discourses was really new to me and I found it very interesting. This affects my own literacy story by making me think about another persons discourse and how I might be able to use that to help them understand what I am trying to get across.

EricBruning
Beginner
Beginner

Back to top Go down