English 1000
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Response to Chapter 3

Go down

Response to Chapter 3 Empty Response to Chapter 3

Post  reubenterry Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:15 pm

The term rhetorical situation is the situation you put yourself in when you write. It encompasses why your writing, who you're writing to, the medium used to write, and how you word your writing. Notice how this could change depending on the situation, for example: if you are writing a business letter, then the likelihood that you’ll use slang or improper grammar would be non-existent because you want the employer to see you as an educated person. Rhetorical analysis is the process of determining the rhetorical situation so that one could use the proper rhetoric. Harkening back to the example above, the time spent to stop and ask what you should say, and what you shouldn't say would be an example of rhetorical analysis.
The only time I post things online is when using social media sites such as Facebook. In almost all of my online post, i have noticed that they are comprised of my opinions, so i would say that I appeal to the ethos the most when posting online. The things I say are my way of letting others try to identify themselves with me or see what kind of person i am. I’m simply creating a map to allow others to see what kind of person I am without actually meeting me in person.

reubenterry
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Response to Chapter 3 Empty Q&A

Post  reubenterry Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:57 am

The Q&A with Obama and the speakers of the house has given up a taste into the job of being a politician. Politicians use evidence to back almost everything they say. They tend to exclude the information that would hurt their claims. For example, when Representative Mike peace began talking about the unemployment rate being higher in Obama’s presidency, he failed to mention that the original starting point was a lot higher before Obama even took office. The politicians that were present at the Q&A all used a passive aggressive tone because they felt that the other side had lied. Everyone who asked a question from Obama had expected him to have done something that he didn't do, and Obama was a little aggravated that they either were things that he couldn't do or already had done.
The speakers in the Q&A have all learned how to speak in a well thought out manner to appeal to the American people. They speak in a way that attempts to move one to their way of thinking. To do this they incorporate all three types of style in writing, logos, ethos, and pathos. Logos is the most evident because politicians have a necessity to bring up facts to back their statements, such as whenever Obama retorted to one of the questions, he would use numbers to back his statements. The unemployment rate of 10% when he came into office would be a good example. Politicians use pathos to back their claims with an emotional sting to sway the people. An example of the usage of pathos in this debate would be when Representative Mike Peace mentioned embracing the tax reform that his side suggested because of little David Carter Jr. and his dad. Little David had no real reason for showing up in this Q&A, but his name added a little kick to Mike Peace’s point on the bill he was attempting to pass. Politicians have to have to be able to appeal to ethos so that they can get people to move to their side of the topic. Ethos is probably the most critical necessity for a politician because once a politician has lost their credibility, then everything else doesn't matter. No one will listen to, or vote with, a politician that has lost its credibility.

reubenterry
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Response to Chapter 3 Empty Prewriting

Post  reubenterry Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:48 am

The blog of my choice is “bro-tips” formatted by PPL. It is blog site in which people post tips to help other people. Such as bro tip #3914 “success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it.” There are thousands of tips written in a similar manner for all “bros” to enjoy.  
      The ideal audience for this blog would be men or “bros”. The site seems to be attempting to create a standard that all “bros” should uphold themselves to. There are a few shout outs to women mixed in, but overall it is a “bro” site. The site presents tips and tricks in order to give “bros” that edge that is necessary to become a real man’s man. They appeal to the credibility of being a “bro” themselves to make other “bros” want to be like them.
“Bros” tend to value information that gives confidence in everyday situations, such as bro tip #3868 “10 seconds of courage can lead to many years of happiness. Man up, Bro”. Little tips and tricks such as these fill the site. The audience communicates with the site by contributing to it. The site enables any “bro” to submit a tip for everyone to see.
The web-blog works with its audience to create the perfect “bro”. The goal of the site is for “bros” to post their experiences and expertise in everyday situations so that another “bro” will not have any issues with the same situation. The perfect “bro” will consist of all of the qualities and tips listed on this site. They will also be able to handle themselves in any situation with class and chivalry. They will be a man’s man who is manlier than most men.

reubenterry
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Response to Chapter 3 Empty Literacy

Post  reubenterry Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:59 pm

1. Gee’s definition of Literacy is the “control of secondary use of language (i.e., uses of language in secondary discourses).” This means that our literacy comes from the use of language outside your primary discourses. Gee is trying to imply that literacy doesn’t include the things that we acquisition without learning. Literacy is a learned trait of language.
2. This did change my understanding of literacy because I simply associated literacy to the ability to read and write. This dramatically changes the outlook of my paper because this adds an entirely new perspective to my understanding of literacy. I never thought of literacy in this manner.

reubenterry
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Response to Chapter 3 Empty Response to Ong

Post  reubenterry Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:05 pm

Ong’s argument is that writing is an integral part of literacy. He also notes that it’s a requirement to live in this modern society by saying, “Illiterates should learn writing as they learned to tie their shoe-laces or to drive a car” meaning that to be a part of everyday human society, one should be able to write.” It ties in to what Gee said about Literacy being the interactions with our secondary discourses. To properly navigate this day and age, one must have the ability to comprehend the non-noetic functions of everyday society.

reubenterry
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Response to Chapter 3 Empty Hills like White Elephants

Post  reubenterry Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:43 pm

“I k now. But if I do it, then it will be nice again if I sat things are like white elephants, and you’ll like it?”
“He picked up the two bags and carried them around the station to the other tracks. He looked up the tracks but could not see the train. Coming back, he walked through the barroom, where people waiting for the train were drinking. He drank an Anis at the bar and looked at the people. They were all waiting reasonably for the train. He went out through the bead curtain. She was sitting at the table and smiled at him.”
One thing I noticed about Hemingway’s style of writing from this story is that he expects his readers to pick up on vibes from the way he describes his settings. For example, the way he wrote the second quote above hinted at the problem that they are going through. I believe that this story has something to do with the girl giving her virginity (but honestly have no clue) and the guy is telling her she doesn’t have to if she doesn’t want to. He describes the wait for the train as a “reasonable” wait as if to imply that the man is willing to wait with her for a “reasonable” amount of time as well. Hemingway expects much out of his readers.

reubenterry
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Response to Chapter 3 Empty Bibliography

Post  reubenterry Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:52 am

1."Marijuana And The Controlled Substances Act." Congressional Digest 93.8 (2014): 2-6. Academic Search Complete. Web. 14 Nov. 2014.
2. Khamsi, Roxanne. "Going To Pot." Scientific American 308.6 (2013): 34-36. Academic Search Complete. Web. 14 Nov. 2014.
3.Bernasek, Anna. "Two Numbers. Why The Irs Will Love Legal Pot." Newsweek Global 162.2 (2014): 98. MasterFILE Premier. Web. 14 Nov. 2014
4. Caulkins, Jonathan P., and Brittany M. Bond. "Marijuana Price Gradients: Implications For Exports And Export-Generated Tax Revenue For California After Legalization." Journal Of Drug Issues 42.1 (2012): 28-45. Academic Search Complete. Web. 14 Nov. 2014.
5.Khatapoush, Shereen, and Denise Hallfors. "'Sending The Wrong Message': Did Medical Marijuana Legalization In California Change Attitudes About And Use Of Marijuana?." Journal Of Drug Issues 34.4 (2004): 751-770. PsycINFO. Web. 14 Nov. 2014
6. Blake, David, and Jack Finlaw. "Marijuana Legalization In Colorado: Learned Lessons." Harvard Law & Policy Review 8.2 (2014): 359-380. Academic Search Complete. Web. 14 Nov. 2014.
7."Legalizing Marijuana: THE ISSUES." CQ Researcher 19.22 (2009): 527. MasterFILE Premier. Web. 14 Nov. 2014.

reubenterry
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Response to Chapter 3 Empty Re: Response to Chapter 3

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down