English 1000
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Paper Sources...

Go down

Paper Sources... Empty Paper Sources...

Post  Abbyelmer Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:40 am

For my paper I am answering the question: Does Science Make the Belief in God Obsolete? I am answering no, that they can both co-exist. To prove my point I am going to pick an essay on both sides, and use the one that agrees with my answer to disprove the other.
The first essay I am going to use is the one titled "Yes, if by..." by Steven Pinker. In his essay, Pinker does not really refute the existence of God. He explains why people originally believed in God and that now we have answers to the questions that we used God to explain. But, other than this he does not say why God and science cannot co-exist.
In the end of his essay Pinker writes about how religion has changed over the years. He uses this as an argument for religion disappearing in our culture, saying that "Science, in the broadest sense, is making belief in God obsolete, and we are the better for it." But, just because religion is changing and becoming more accepting does not mean that it is becoming obsolete.
For my second source I will use the essay by Robert Sapolsky. He writes about how science cannot and will never explain everything, and about how it provides people with a hope and "Ecstasy." I like the argument he makes because even though he is an atheist he sees the value in people believing in God. As some one how has never been sure what they believe in, and with atheist friends who would jump down your throat if you said God was even a possibility, it is refreshing to read this essay. I think Sapolsky does a good job of calmly and logically explaining his view, while still respecting both sides of the debate.

Abbyelmer
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down