English 1000
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

page and a half

4 posters

Go down

page and a half Empty page and a half

Post  AustinTri Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:44 am

Do violent video games affect the mental health of the kids playing the games? Studies show that playing the violent video games has some lasting effects on the people playing the games. “"Exposure to violence in media, including television, movies, music, and video games, represents a significant risk to the health of children and adolescents. Extensive research evidence indicates that media violence can contribute to aggressive behavior, desensitization to violence, nightmares, and fear of being harmed” (Do). This article proves that media violence such as video games and violent movies have a lasting effect on the people who are watching/playing the games. Playing violent video games does have an effect on the people who are playing or watching the media.
There are two sided to this argument, the argument that I suggested in the first paragraph saying that studies show that people playing or watching violent things in the media have a greater chance of becoming violent and acting in a manner that is dangerous for society as a whole. There is the other side that says these forms of media do not cause aggression to occur because the games have no effect on this type of behavior. Personally I disagree with this statement because the majority of evidence that you find states that the games have a negative effect on the people’s behaviors.
“Violent video games have been blamed for school shootings, increases in bullying, and violence towards women. Critics argue that these games desensitize players to violence, reward players for simulating violence, and teach children that violence is an acceptable way to resolve conflicts” (How). Saying that a video game rewards the players for acting in a violent matter, this teaches the people that are playing this game to act or mimic the people in the game.
“While the APA admits that some scientific studies show very little connection between video games and violence, it notes that an overall analysis of all relevant studies demonstrate that video games are violence are related. In fact, the APA goes as far as to conclude that "violent video game effect sizes are larger than the effect of second hand smoke on lung cancer, the effect of lead exposure to I.Q. scores in children, and calcium intake on bone mass." Furthermore, the APA states that everyone can be affected by playing violent video games, even those who are supposedly less at risk of being influenced. Therefore, the APA concludes that violence in video games is a significant risk factor for violent behavior” (Violence). I like this quote because it suggests that even if you do not play video games all of the time, you are still at risk to be effected by the violence of just playing the game once.

AustinTri
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

page and a half Empty Re: page and a half

Post  AlliLadd Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:35 pm

What side do you agree with? It's a little hard to figure out. If you are siding with the fact that video games cause violent behavior, why do you say that? What studies prove that?

AlliLadd
Dirigible Air Captain
Dirigible Air Captain

Back to top Go down

page and a half Empty Confused

Post  adamlowe Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:24 pm

I agree with Alli,, looks like you are sort of unsure of which side you are on. Clear that up. I know in an earlier post you were talking about this same thing and said you had both sides to the issue. Just pick a side a stick with it. You can mention the side that contradicts your points but be sure to tell us why you disagree with it.

adamlowe
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  OliviaPeterkin Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:09 pm

My thoughts are pretty similar to Adam and Alli's. You don't really state your stance, it looks like you're totally unsure of which side your on, and it makes the paper seem unorganized. I'd encourage you to figure it out! When using information that rivals your own opinion (when that's established), make sure you have evidence backing up why you disagree. Like a Star @ heaven

OliviaPeterkin
Dirigible Air Captain
Dirigible Air Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down