English 1000
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Page and a Half

5 posters

Go down

Page and a Half  Empty Page and a Half

Post  AlliLadd Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:28 pm

Alli Ladd
English 1000
Eric Dragseth
November 23, 2012

Analysis of Three Sources

My question is how we can reduce the negative effects of ideal body image portrayed through media.

[Only admins are allowed to see this link]

With so much media (TV, movies, magazines, and internet) available to teens now, there is a direct correlation with eating disorders (anorexia and bulimia). The media's portrayal of what ideal body image is, leads to poor self image and self-esteem, adding to the pressure of being that ideal image. It has become increasingly harder throughout history to achieve this Ideal Body Image, shaped by social context. The current influence of media is everywhere, and has become very powerful which only adds to increased body dissatisfaction among women, as well as men. To reduce the influences of media, parents need to limit their children's exposure to television and other forms of media, promote healthy eating habits and physical activity (not video games). Minimizing their exposure to negative influences can be powerful, and parents can be the solution to many problems children and adolescents face today.

The epidemic proportions of drive for thinness, body dissatisfaction, and unsafe weight control methods among women have led theorists to posit the existence of mechanisms that are capable of reaching a large number of women (Levine & Smolak, 1996). The media is one such mechanism that has an ever-increasing influence and reach on women across North America and the world.

Media is a strong influence in development of body dissatisfaction and eating disorders. Studies done in this article indicate that following more television exposure, the young adolescent girls showed a big increase in disordered eating, and poor body image and self-esteem. Given the evidence about this poor body image and disordered eating in females in our society, and the direct correlation thats been found between eating disorders and the media, it would be prudent for professionals and the public to make this association known so it can be better prevented. By providing more self-esteem building messages to the public and focusing on ways to counter-act the effects of media, the correlation can slowly be reduced.

Doctors are making the media more aware of the issues and promoting them to show more “realistic” body shapes, in order to reduce the number of deaths caused by eating disorders. Research taken shows that the gap between the perceived ideal body shape and reality is becoming more and more broadening. Women are generally getting larger while models and other famous images of women on television are getting smaller. However, the article argues that statistics have shown that if you stick a beautiful stick figure model on the cover of a magazine, it will sell more copies. This is the barrier we have between women and women reaching their full potential of self-esteem and happiness.

AlliLadd
Dirigible Air Captain
Dirigible Air Captain

Back to top Go down

Page and a Half  Empty Re: Page and a Half

Post  adamlowe Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:20 pm

One thing that might be interesting is researching whether this is just a problem with women or if men struggle with it too. Obviously it is a bigger deal with women however there is definitely a possibility of men being an issue as well.

adamlowe
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  AlliLadd Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:02 pm

I'm going to put a little something about male eating disorders in my project. I didn't find too much information on it for my paper though Sad That would've been interesting

AlliLadd
Dirigible Air Captain
Dirigible Air Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  adamlowe Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:14 pm

Yeah as long as you mention it. It definitely isn't as huge of a problem but still showing all the sides to this issue will make your essay more credible.

adamlowe
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Page and a Half  Empty Page and a Half reply

Post  DanielSherwood Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:49 pm

Once again I'm with Adam. Adding even just a little bit about men will make your paper a lot more relatable for men. That will allow for more interest and thought provoking thoughts for men reading your paper.

DanielSherwood
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  OliviaPeterkin Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:36 am

I sympathize with Adam and Daniel when they say it may help to include the man view. Maybe Barbie is to young girls as G.I. Joe is to young boys! People are naturally drawn to what they think is "perfect" male or female! It's the reason that celebrities and athletes make so much money. Rolling Eyes

OliviaPeterkin
Dirigible Air Captain
Dirigible Air Captain

Back to top Go down

Page and a Half  Empty page and a half

Post  AustinTri Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:09 pm

I like this, but if I were to tell you how to make this better, I would put how media portrays these girls as really skinny and this causes people to do whatever they can to become that skinny. Even if that means hurting themselves or putting themselves in harms way

AustinTri
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Page and a Half  Empty Final Project

Post  DanielSherwood Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:50 am

Yes I agree with what Adam has to say because people do tend to fall into "norms" that society throws in the media at the time. This will do wonders for your project because it will really hit home for people.

DanielSherwood
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum