English 1000
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pre-writing Assignment

Go down

Pre-writing Assignment Empty Pre-writing Assignment

Post  OliviaPeterkin Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:37 pm

My story is about my experience when I first moved to Hawaii and how half of the time I didn't understand what anyone was saying. It was a completely new experience because a lot of the people that I met didm;t know english as their first language so they either had really strong accents or spoke Pidgin. Pidgin is a type of slang in Hawaii mainly used by the locals who were born there. In Hawaii, pidgin is ubiquitous so it's virtually impossible to live there and not learn some of the meanings and eventually pick up a few. This story as a whole though is going to be about how I went form being literate in one culture and moving into another where I was totally illiterate, and learning about society ll over again. I think that most of us become accustomed to the social environment that we live in, in elementary school. So for me, going into my second year of high school, it was really weird to have to start over. The Hawaiian culture is so different than what I was used to in New York that I felt like one of those GPS systems "recalibrating" constantly.

So, yep. clown

OliviaPeterkin
Dirigible Air Captain
Dirigible Air Captain

Back to top Go down