English 1000
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can God and Science Co-exist?

4 posters

Go down

Can God and Science Co-exist? Empty Can God and Science Co-exist?

Post  EricBruning Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:55 pm

My favorite part about both science and religion is that everybody has a completely unique view of both. Growing up in a very christian community in Texas, I have seen some extremely devout christians that blindly follow the bible and what is says to the word. I also know a lot of atheists that believe there is zero influence by any supreme beings. Then, there is me. The middle ground on the two. I believe that yes, the two can exist. It all depends how you are willing to interpret what both are telling you.
I would not consider myself christian but I do believe that there is something much more complex than anything we can ever hope to understand that is affecting our everyday life. When the bible says, "god created man". It doesn't necessarily have to mean we started out this way. If he laid down the means for man TO be created, such as the elements and the way particles interact and bond (you know... science) than would that not to be creating man? Most religious people immediately put an image in their head with what they read and they stick to that image, and not leave it open to interpretation. When they read something else that doesn't say what they read is wrong, but the image in their head is wrong, they will put off what they just read as contradicting, instead of it just explaining it.
To put my argument simply, science explains gods work and how complex it is. 2,000 years ago when the bible was written, they were taught that god made the earth and everything on it. They had to put a mental image to how that worked without knowing the stuff we know now. Science is simply showing how what we have now was created, and how everything that he made works. For science to co-exist with religion people will have to be open for interpretation and be willing to change that image just a little bit. That is the tricky part about religion though, everybody sees it differently and there will always be the people who will only listen to one side. Science has to do the same, matter is neither created nor destroyed, yet it had to come from somewhere.

EricBruning
Beginner
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Can God and Science Co-exist? Empty Response

Post  MitchellHill Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:05 pm

I agree with this entirely. My opinion on this matter is almost the exact same and that is why I think I understand this very well. I wish there was one example of how this has played out in your life with you showing your beliefs versus those of a radical Christian or an Atheist. This being said, however, I believe you clearly stated your views, which made for an easy read.

MitchellHill
Beginner
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Can God and Science Co-exist? Empty response

Post  adam O Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:47 pm

i like what you have written. you put a lot of thought into it, or it seems you have. one thing i think you could have done more of is to show why your way might be more logical than the others. and try to show how you came up with your theory. you will never win this arguement simply because no matter what you say it cant be fully proven. so maybe touch on some things that help prove evolution, and some things that cannot be explained through science.

adam O
Beginner
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Can God and Science Co-exist? Empty Re: Can God and Science Co-exist?

Post  Tolen Oliver Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:04 pm

I really don't have any criticisms for this, I think you did a really good job. You clearly state your opinion and why you think that way. If you were to make this longer though, I think it would be a good idea to go into some reasons why you believe science and religion have to be able to coexist, like what Adam O was explaining in his post.

Tolen Oliver
Beginner
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Can God and Science Co-exist? Empty Re: Can God and Science Co-exist?

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down