English 1000
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rhetorical situation and analysis

+3
WBK95
Sailor WAN
lzh
7 posters

Go down

Rhetorical situation and analysis  Empty Rhetorical situation and analysis

Post  lzh Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:31 am

In this article, I got a plenty of ideas about writing and communication. As for the terms “rhetorical situation“,if I would explain it to a friend, the first aspect I would say it has four key elements: writer, reader, text, and medium. As a good writer, someone should pay much attention on analyzing rhetorical situation just like thinking about a way or a good situation to talk to a friend about something. That can help us express a thought clearly, so the method is very important in writing and communication. This is rhetorical analysis.

When I write something online, I will choose logos as my style. It is basically because a logos writer would express something objectively, it may help readers get a better understanding of the article, and readers would have their own thinking and understanding without obstructed by writer’s subjective thinking.

lzh
Goose
Goose

Back to top Go down

Rhetorical situation and analysis  Empty Assignment 2 response

Post  lzh Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:54 am

Kairos describes both the sense in which discourse is understood as fitting and timely, and it also develops people about rhetorical power through time line, a good time to create new rhetorical possibility.

From the reading, as far as I am concerned, I see the content of a weblog article as modern concerns with the weblog. Nowadays an increasing number of people focus on the weblog, so there exists a quite great influence of weblog in society. A good thought or a good idea will help people a lot especially teenagers, but a bad or an irresponsible remarks in a weblog will give people a wrong guide.

About voyeurism, in my opinion, for a writer, it means a writer always cares about other’s thinking or idea. For a reader, it means some people who do not focus on article itself, and they might focus on something unseemly curiosities.

Something I do not understand are as follows:
1. How can we avoid the voyeurism phenomenon in blog writing nowadays?
2. Is Kairos the best way to create new rhetorical possibility?
3. Should the government control the bad ideas in blog?

lzh
Goose
Goose

Back to top Go down

Rhetorical situation and analysis  Empty prewriting

Post  lzh Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:37 am

Los Angeles Lakers blog is the blog I always read in my spare time. Actually, this is my favorite blog because I can get more detail information of my favorite NBA team Los Angeles Lakers and my favorite player Kobe Bryant, such as expert’s analysis of the game and the player after the game ended, the prediction of the future game, and the coach and players’ interview. For example, a new player whose name is Jordan Clarkson from Mizzou becomes a start player in LAL, and I pay a lot attention on him recently, then someday I read one of LAL blog named “Scott on Clarkson: ‘He is developing nicely’ ” and written by Jovan Buha, I got a professional evaluation and analysis about Clarkson. Another example is about my favorite player Kobe, I got a lot of happiness from a blog “Kobe, 36, on return, ‘That is the plan’”, I know that he will come back when he is recovered.

As far as I am concerned, the basketball fans especially Lakers’ fans would be the ideal audience, all the fans have the opportunities to discuss about this team and players under the posts, and they really can get a lot of information and professional ideas.

The fans of Los Angeles Lakers always want to get the news about this team quickly, like how long Kobe Bryant would come back to the game. Also, fans want the professional analysis about a game, and one fan can communicate their opinion about the game under the posts with other fans. For instance, when the team won a game, fans would discuss who is the MVP in this game and share their happiness; however, when the team lose a game, fans would encourage the player to win the next game.

The Los Angeles Lakers blog is a free place for fans to discuss the team and player, even communicate with the experts. Therefore, I think this feature can attracts many fans. This way make fans get more information even make friends. For all of above, I think it is a very efficient and fantastic way to work with their audience.

lzh
Goose
Goose

Back to top Go down

Rhetorical situation and analysis  Empty Obama republicans spar Q&A analysis

Post  lzh Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:07 am

In this video, president Obama have an introduction about his action of the society problem at first, then the publicans have opportunity to ask questions to him. The questions are mainly about unemployment, health care and so on. All publicans have their own ways to express. Here are some examples that different publicans’ questions and their asking skills.

The first publican mentioned unemployment problems. He said there is a little boy of the Salvation Army homeless facility write a letter and taken by him, this publican also have a detailed data: unemployment was 7.5 percent last year, but there is 10 percent this year; however, president Obama’s administration ever said they would take action such as tax cut and stimulus bill to decrease unemployment. In my opinion, this publican have a good asking skills. He used detailed data which is a truth can be seen clearly, and he also use specific example of the little boy, he uses logos way.

Another publican firstly introduce his family to president Obama, then he mentioned budget problems. The question is the domestic discretionary spending has been increased by 84 percent and freeze spending next year means total spending in your budget would grow at 3/100ths of 1 percent less than otherwise, in the end, he also talked about Obama’s promise. This publican both uses logos and ethos ways, meanwhile, he also uses specific data and related to his own circumstances.

lzh
Goose
Goose

Back to top Go down

Rhetorical situation and analysis  Empty Re: Rhetorical situation and analysis

Post  Sailor WAN Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:00 pm

lzh wrote:Los Angeles Lakers blog is the blog I always read in my spare time. Actually, this is my favorite blog because I can get more detail information of my favorite NBA team Los Angeles Lakers and my favorite player Kobe Bryant, such as expert’s analysis of the game and the player after the game ended, the prediction of the future game, and the coach and players’ interview. For example, a new player whose name is Jordan Clarkson from Mizzou becomes a start player in LAL, and I pay a lot attention on him recently, then someday I read one of LAL blog named “Scott on Clarkson: ‘He is developing nicely’ ” and written by Jovan Buha, I got a professional evaluation and analysis about Clarkson. Another example is about my favorite player Kobe, I got a lot of happiness from a blog “Kobe, 36, on return, ‘That is the plan’”, I know that he will come back when he is recovered.

As far as I am concerned, the basketball fans especially Lakers’ fans would be the ideal audience, all the fans have the opportunities to discuss about this team and players under the posts, and they really can get a lot of information and professional ideas.

The fans of Los Angeles Lakers always want to get the news about this team quickly, like how long Kobe Bryant would come back to the game. Also, fans want the professional analysis about a game, and one fan can communicate their opinion about the game under the posts with other fans. For instance, when the team won a game, fans would discuss who is the MVP in this game and share their happiness; however, when the team lose a game, fans would encourage the player to win the next game.

The Los Angeles Lakers blog is a free place for fans to discuss the team and player, even communicate with the experts. Therefore, I think this feature can attracts many fans. This way make fans get more information even make friends. For all of above, I think it is a very efficient and fantastic way to work with their audience.
I was really into NBA when I was in high school, and my favorite team is LA Lakers! I read some NBA blogs at that time in Chinese. I really miss that days

Sailor WAN
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sailor WAN Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:01 pm

lzh wrote:In this video, president Obama have an introduction about his action of the society problem at first, then the publicans have opportunity to ask questions to him. The questions are mainly about unemployment, health care and so on. All publicans have their own ways to express. Here are some examples that different publicans’ questions and their asking skills.

The first publican mentioned unemployment problems. He said there is a little boy of the Salvation Army homeless facility write a letter and taken by him, this publican also have a detailed data: unemployment was 7.5 percent last year, but there is 10 percent this year; however, president Obama’s administration ever said they would take action such as tax cut and stimulus bill to decrease unemployment. In my opinion, this publican have a good asking skills. He used detailed data which is a truth can be seen clearly, and he also use specific example of the little boy, he uses logos way.

Another publican firstly introduce his family to president Obama, then he mentioned budget problems. The question is the domestic discretionary spending has been increased by 84 percent and freeze spending next year means total spending in your budget would grow at 3/100ths of 1 percent less than otherwise, in the end, he also talked about Obama’s promise. This publican both uses logos and ethos ways, meanwhile, he also uses specific data and related to his own circumstances.

Seems that everyone likes the ethos parts of the question given by congressman Pence.

Sailor WAN
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Rhetorical situation and analysis  Empty Ong reading response

Post  lzh Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:58 am

From the part one, in my opinion, the author Ong’s general argument is that the literacy is imperious and why literacy is important in human’s language and communication especially in high technology culture. “The term 'illiterate' itself suggests that persons belonging to the class it designates are deviants, defined by something they lack, namely literacy. Moreover, in high-technology cultures-which, more and more, are setting the style for cultures across the world, since literacy is regarded as so unquestionably normative and normal, the deviancy of illiterates tends to be thought of as lack of a simple mechanical skill.” These words mentioned this skill’s feature and importance. In addition, the author regard literacy as shoes lace or driving a car, it shows the relationship between writing and human’s understanding, meanwhile, Ong thinks that without a deep understanding of the normal oral or oral-aural consciousness and noetic economy of humankind before writing came along, it is impossible to grasp what writing accomplished.

Also, Ong uses a lot of citations, examples, data and recent research to express his own opinion, for example, “Our literate world of visually processed sounds has been totally unfamiliar to most human beings, who always belonged, and often still belong to this oral world. Homo sapiens has been around for some 30,000 years, to take a conservative figure. The oldest script, Mesopotamian cuneiform, is less than 6,000 years old (the alphabet less than 4,000).” Ong tell us that the development of writing and oral language in history is quite different, and later he said that only in recent centuries have human beings generally had the idea that a language could be written, and even today many peoples do not believe their language can be written. This is also a important topic.

lzh
Goose
Goose

Back to top Go down

Rhetorical situation and analysis  Empty Gee's What is literacy response

Post  lzh Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:02 am

1.The Gee’s definition of literacy: a socially accepted association among ways of using language, of thinking, and of acting that can be used to identify oneself as a member of a socially meaningful group or a social network. To give this definition, Gee explained “discourse”, just like thinking of discourse as in “identity kit” which comes complete with the appropriate costume and instructions on how to act and talk so as to take on a particular role that others will recognize.

2.For this question, I will say yes, it really changed my understanding of literacy. At first, I thought literacy just a basic skill for everyone about reading and writing; however, I realize that there are more meaning about literacy, for instance, it is a control of language, also, it is more about learning and acquisition just like the examples that author provided in the article.

lzh
Goose
Goose

Back to top Go down

Post  WBK95 Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:29 pm

lzh wrote:1.The Gee’s definition of literacy: a socially accepted association among ways of using language, of thinking, and of acting that can be used to identify oneself as a member of a socially meaningful group or a social network. To give this definition, Gee explained “discourse”, just like thinking of discourse as in “identity kit” which comes complete with the appropriate costume and instructions on how to act and talk so as to take on a particular role that others will recognize.

2.For this question, I will say yes, it really changed my understanding of literacy. At first, I thought literacy just a basic skill for everyone about reading and writing; however, I realize that there are more meaning about literacy, for instance, it is a control of language, also, it is more about learning and acquisition just like the examples that author provided in the article.

You described your opinion of literacy in details and accurately.

WBK95
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  Yingying Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:23 pm

lzh wrote:Los Angeles Lakers blog is the blog I always read in my spare time. Actually, this is my favorite blog because I can get more detail information of my favorite NBA team Los Angeles Lakers and my favorite player Kobe Bryant, such as expert’s analysis of the game and the player after the game ended, the prediction of the future game, and the coach and players’ interview. For example, a new player whose name is Jordan Clarkson from Mizzou becomes a start player in LAL, and I pay a lot attention on him recently, then someday I read one of LAL blog named “Scott on Clarkson: ‘He is developing nicely’ ” and written by Jovan Buha, I got a professional evaluation and analysis about Clarkson. Another example is about my favorite player Kobe, I got a lot of happiness from a blog “Kobe, 36, on return, ‘That is the plan’”, I know that he will come back when he is recovered.

i like KOBE too, he is handsome Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Yingying
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Rhetorical situation and analysis  Empty Research Question

Post  lzh Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:24 am

1.Why did the federal government take more control of military because Lincoln’s first call for soldiers under the state rather than federal control?

2.In Tara’s analysis, the scientists concerned is the information logically, and she also said the ambiguous information is the hardest to write about, what is the ambiguous information in science?

lzh
Goose
Goose

Back to top Go down

Post  kelly1994 Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:07 am

Laker's got its highs and downs, and through the blog , more people will know about the fantastic team and attract more fans.

kelly1994
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sailor WAN Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:07 pm

Yingying wrote:

Come ON. Tracy's BEST!!

Sailor WAN
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  lzh Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:42 pm

Sailor WAN wrote:
Yingying wrote:

Come ON. Tracy's BEST!!

Tracy has a great talent but his injury destroyed him. I think Kobe Bryant is the best player for the last 15 years Rolling Eyes

lzh
Goose
Goose

Back to top Go down

Post  milan_chen Sat May 09, 2015 8:52 pm

i love Lakers too haha.

milan_chen
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  WBK95 Sun May 10, 2015 5:15 am

lzh wrote:Kairos describes both the sense in which discourse is understood as fitting and timely, and it also develops people about rhetorical power through time line, a good time to create new rhetorical possibility.

From the reading, as far as I am concerned, I see the content of a weblog article as modern concerns with the weblog. Nowadays an increasing number of people focus on the weblog, so there exists a quite great influence of weblog in society. A good thought or a good idea will help people a lot especially teenagers, but a bad or an irresponsible remarks in a weblog will give people a wrong guide.

About voyeurism, in my opinion, for a writer, it means a writer always cares about other’s thinking or idea. For a reader, it means some people who do not focus on article itself, and they might focus on something unseemly curiosities.

Something I do not understand are as follows:
1. How can we avoid the voyeurism phenomenon in blog writing nowadays?
2. Is Kairos the best way to create new rhetorical possibility?
3. Should the government control the bad ideas in blog?

I think you catch on that point exactly. Interesting.

WBK95
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  WBK95 Sun May 10, 2015 5:16 am

You seems like works hard on every reading assignment.
Good job.

WBK95
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  Yingying Tue May 12, 2015 12:00 am

i also like Los Angeles Lakers. Very Happy

Yingying
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  Yingying Tue May 12, 2015 12:43 am

Yingying wrote:

i also like  Los Angeles Lakers. Very Happy

after watching the basketball movie, we can have food together

Yingying
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  Yingying Tue May 12, 2015 12:48 am

Yingying wrote:
Yingying wrote:

i like KOBE lol

Yingying
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sailor WAN Tue May 12, 2015 1:02 am

Yingying wrote:

no kobe,but lbj

Sailor WAN
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  lzh Wed May 13, 2015 2:09 am

Yingying wrote:
Yingying wrote:
Yingying wrote:

i like KOBE lol

I like your words, Kobe is always the best Laughing Laughing Laughing

lzh
Goose
Goose

Back to top Go down

Post  lzh Wed May 13, 2015 2:10 am

Sailor WAN wrote:
Yingying wrote:

no kobe,but lbj

lbj needs more championships rings Razz

lzh
Goose
Goose

Back to top Go down

Post  Yanzc Wed May 13, 2015 1:12 pm

I love basketball too. Even if I am not a Lakers' fan, I still find blog is a great way to know a team better!

Yanzc
Beginner
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Post  Yanzc Wed May 13, 2015 1:16 pm

lzh wrote:From the part one, in my opinion, the author Ong’s general argument is that the literacy is imperious and why literacy is important in human’s language and communication especially in high technology culture. “The term 'illiterate' itself suggests that persons belonging to the class it designates are deviants, defined by something they lack, namely literacy. Moreover, in high-technology cultures-which, more and more, are setting the style for cultures across the world, since literacy is regarded as so unquestionably normative and normal, the deviancy of illiterates tends to be thought of as lack of a simple mechanical skill.” These words mentioned this skill’s feature and importance. In addition, the author regard literacy as shoes lace or driving a car, it shows the relationship between writing and human’s understanding, meanwhile, Ong thinks that without a deep understanding of the normal oral or oral-aural consciousness and noetic economy of humankind before writing came along, it is impossible to grasp what writing accomplished.

Also, Ong uses a lot of citations, examples, data and recent research to express his own opinion, for example, “Our literate world of visually processed sounds has been totally unfamiliar to most human beings, who always belonged, and often still belong to this oral world. Homo sapiens has been around for some 30,000 years, to take a conservative figure. The oldest script, Mesopotamian cuneiform, is less than 6,000 years old (the alphabet less than 4,000).” Ong tell us that the development of writing and oral language in history is quite different, and later he said that only in recent centuries have human beings generally had the idea that a language could be written, and even today many peoples do not believe their language can be written. This is also a important topic.

I find your ideal is great!

Yanzc
Beginner
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum