English 1000
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Assignment 1

+2
Sailor WAN
Yanshu Wang_Sybil
6 posters

Go down

Assignment 1 Empty Assignment 1

Post  Yanshu Wang_Sybil Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:45 am

From the reading material, I got to know two terms about writing: rhetoric situation and rhetoric analyzing. When I explain then to my friend, first of all, both of them,I would say that, can help writers to have more substantial work and communicate better with readers. the type of rhetoric situation depends on what message we want to send and what relationship between writers and readers. Different rhetoric situation expresses different information.As for rhetoric analyzing, in my opinion, is asking a bunch of questions to ourselves before writing basic on four elements----writers, readers, text and medium. Such as "What specific group of readers I want to send message to?" " What information I want to share? Is this serious or funny?" "How I want to say I want to say? By comic or text?" Analyzing is a vital part of process of writing.
   Comparing pathos, logos and ethos, I think I appeal most to pathos. Writing is a way for people to speak out their thoughts and let others know what kind of people they are. Absolutely logic is the standard to assess if an article is good or not; nevertheless, logic cannot be the part that beautify writing work. Ethos is. As long as an article can reflect spirit of the author, I would say that the article is unique and shinning. Our world needs a number of different things to be more diverse, writing with ethos is what every writers should do I think.  
                                                                                                                                                                        Yanshu Wang

Last edited by YWQY8 on Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:05 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : To add my name)

Yanshu Wang_Sybil
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Assignment 1 Empty Assignment 2

Post  Yanshu Wang_Sybil Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:13 am

Basically,Kairos is a ancient word to describe the ideal moment for something to happen.

Based on this reading, modern concerns with the weblog is knowing more about others. People are always curious about what happens to others. My concerns are same. As reading says, nowadays, the development of media has made it to be a means of public to be voyeuers. Curiosity is a normal sense of human. Only with it can we acquire more and more information and get to know this huge world better.

As it said that modern media makes the boundry of privacy and public weak. People are long to more realistic information rather than made up. The importance of voyeurism can never be ignored. Voyeurism requires us to write based on real life. Although stories need to be made up and polished, their core and frames must from real lives. Only in that case, what we wrote can attract readers' interest and attention.

Yanshu Wang_Sybil
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Assignment 1 Empty Prewriting Assignment 1

Post  Yanshu Wang_Sybil Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:01 am

I chose a fashion blog written by Kristal Schlegel, named “ A natural Glow.” In this blog, this pretty girl shared her experience about skincare and suggested some products. This topic is attractive to girls, and this blogger is clever---she posted exquisite photos on blog which not only make this blog more attractive, but also presented the content and topic very well. In my mind, the combination of text and photos is the best way to write a blog.
Her ideal audience is every single girl who loves fashion ,dressing, and enjoying the life. When you click into the front page of this blog, you will notice that the domain color is light( white, yellow, pink…. ), which are girls favorite. By continuing to go through what she wrote, readers may feel that it is a kind of relax to read this blog. Because her words are easy and funny. There are no serious words. People can feel the interest and beauty of life from her blogs. That is what girls want. “ How lucky I am as a girl!!”
One of the biggest strengths of blog is it is convenient for bloggers and their followers to communicate. Anyone who saw the blog can commit and share their feelings to bloggers. These two groups of people may chat like friends. That is important for both writers and audiences.
Every kind of blog has its specific group of audiences. Writers and their followers have same hobbies. As a result, the writer posts pictures and texts that man attract audiences a lot. For feedback, audiences put their ideas about the content and bloggers may improve every time. This process is awesome. This is exactly the charm of blogs.

Yanshu Wang_Sybil
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Assignment 1 Empty Assignment About Obama's Debate

Post  Yanshu Wang_Sybil Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:20 am

In this debate, different politicians used different ways to use evidence. Some told a touching story about little boy from an unemployed family; some listed several datas to demonstrated the fact; some just described what happened around themselves to support their ideas. As we know, the majority of audience of this debate are Republicans, who are disagree with President Obama and are against with Obama's policies. When they decided what questions they would ask to the president, they must prepare the most convinced evidence to use. However, saying everything they what to say sometimes is not a good strategy in debate. That's the reason why we noticed some politicians asked President an open question after describing the fact and what's happening. I think this is a smart method. Because there was not the only politicians who were watching the performance of Obama; when a politician told a truth or describe the condition of the society they were living in, that may cause the same resonance among the audience. As a result, the audience who had common resonance expect a satisfied answer from Obama. When this happened, it was a challenge for Obama to satisfy every one of this group of people. In other words, if Obama failed to answer this question, those who expected better performance of him may easily be disappointed with him and were not willing to support him any more.
As for tones, different politicians have different style. Let me pic the first man and a woman from Virginia as examples. The first man told a touching story at first, which was ethos. That story made people feel sorry to that little boy's family. However, the questions followed were more offensive than that woman's. That woman asked her questions with soft and slow tone. And I think she used logos more. The man may be more radical than the woman.

Yanshu Wang_Sybil
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Assignment 1 Empty Re: Assignment 1

Post  Sailor WAN Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:52 pm

YWQY8 wrote:   I think this is a smart method. Because there was not the only politicians who were watching the performance of Obama; when a politician told a truth or describe the condition of the society they were living in, that may cause  the same resonance among the audience. As a result, the audience who had common resonance expect a satisfied answer from Obama. When this happened, it was a challenge for Obama to satisfy every one of this group of people. In other words, if Obama failed to answer this question, those who expected better performance of him may easily be disappointed with him and were not willing to support him any more.
   As for tones, different politicians have different style. Let me pic the first man and a woman from Virginia as examples. The first man told a touching story at first, which was ethos. That story made people feel sorry to that little boy's family. However, the questions followed were more offensive than that woman's. That woman asked her questions with soft and slow tone. And I think she used logos more. The man may be more radical than the woman.    
Yeah, it's very challenge for Obama to satisfy everyone of this group, so he just said feel sorry about the family and analyzed the economic situation.

Sailor WAN
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sailor WAN Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:56 pm

YWQY8 wrote:     I chose a fashion blog written by Kristal Schlegel, named “ A natural Glow.” In this blog, this pretty girl shared her experience about skincare and suggested some products. This topic is attractive to girls, and this blogger is clever---she posted exquisite photos on blog which not only make this blog more attractive, but also presented the content and topic very well. In my mind, the combination of text and photos is the best way to write a blog.
   Her ideal audience is every single girl who loves fashion ,dressing, and enjoying the life. When you click into the front page of this blog, you will notice that the domain color is light( white, yellow, pink…. ), which are girls favorite. By continuing to go through what she wrote, readers may feel that it is a kind of relax to read this blog. Because her words are easy and funny. There are no serious words. People can feel the interest and beauty of life from her blogs. That is what girls want. “ How lucky I am as a girl!!”  
   One of the biggest strengths of blog is it is convenient for bloggers and their followers to communicate. Anyone who saw the blog can commit and share their feelings to bloggers. These two groups of people may chat like friends. That is important for both writers and audiences.
   Every kind of blog has its specific group of audiences. Writers and their followers have same hobbies. As a result, the writer posts pictures and texts that man attract audiences a lot. For feedback, audiences put their ideas about the content and bloggers may improve every time. This process is awesome. This is exactly the charm of blogs.    

Definitely, it is a blog for girls. I searched for this blog. There are pictures and texts which make the blog more attractive.Assignment 1 Bare-minerals-complexion-rescue-tinted-moisturizerGirls gonna love this.

Sailor WAN
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Assignment 1 Empty Assignment About Ong's Reading

Post  Yanshu Wang_Sybil Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:44 am

In my opinion, his general argument is literacy is imperious. Literacy makes a strict standard for people to follow when people express their ideas or thoughts. Although these standards are formalist some time, they indeed help us to organize what we want to say. Besides, as for the origin of literacy, it was tough for people in oral culture t remember the information accurately by merely hearing. In that case, what literacy provided, just like qualifiers, numerical sets, rhythms of all sorts, helped a lot to help people to get accurate information. ​
"The oral world as such distresses literates because sound is evanescent. Typically,literates want words and thoughts pinned down...."As the author said, the effect of literate is to limit the method to express thoughts. However, it is so important to us that we can not ignore its standards.
The second quote that is relevant to the general argument is " Literacy is imperious. It tends to arrogate itself supreme power by taking itself as normative for human expression and thought."

Yanshu Wang_Sybil
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Post  WBK95 Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:12 pm

YWQY8 wrote:   In my opinion, his general argument is literacy is imperious. Literacy makes a strict standard for people to follow when people express their ideas or thoughts. Although these standards are formalist some time, they indeed help us to organize what we want to say. Besides, as for the origin of literacy, it was tough for people in oral culture t remember the information accurately by merely hearing. In that case, what literacy provided, just like qualifiers, numerical sets, rhythms of all sorts, helped a lot to help people to get accurate information. ​
   "The oral world as such distresses literates because sound is evanescent. Typically,literates want words and thoughts pinned down...."As the author said, the effect of literate is to limit the method to express thoughts. However, it is so important to us that we can not ignore its standards.
   The second quote that is relevant to the general argument is " Literacy is imperious. It tends to arrogate itself supreme power by taking itself as normative for human expression and thought."

I like your summations about the identification of literacy. It is a complex method for people to express their ideas and thoughts.

WBK95
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  Yingying Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:20 pm

YWQY8 wrote:     I chose a fashion blog written by Kristal Schlegel, named “ A natural Glow.” In this blog, this pretty girl shared her experience about skincare and suggested some products. This topic is attractive to girls, and this blogger is clever---she posted exquisite photos on blog which not only make this blog more attractive, but also presented the content and topic very well. In my mind, the combination of text and photos is the best way to write a blog.

wow, i like the fashion blog Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes the blogger is so beautiful Razz Razz Razz

Yingying
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  kelly1994 Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:15 am

Fashion is way to complicated for me. so the blog really introduce some basic things that makes me understand a little. good choice!

kelly1994
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sailor WAN Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:58 pm

Yingying wrote:

wow, i like the fashion blog Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes the blogger is so beautiful Razz Razz Razz

Fashion is my lover too!!

Sailor WAN
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  WBK95 Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:56 pm

YWQY8 wrote:    Basically,Kairos is a ancient word to describe the ideal moment for something to happen.

Based on this reading, modern concerns with the weblog is knowing more about others. People are always curious about what happens to others. My concerns are same. As reading says, nowadays, the development of media has made it to be a means of public to be voyeuers. Curiosity is a normal sense of human. Only with it can we acquire more and more information and get to know this huge world better.

As it said that modern media makes the boundry of privacy and public weak. People are long to more realistic information rather than made up. The importance of voyeurism can never be ignored. Voyeurism requires us to write based on real life. Although stories  need to be made up and polished, their core and frames must from real lives. Only in that case, what we wrote can attract readers' interest and attention.  

Is Kairos an ancient word? I think it might come from modern community particularly come from literacy and painting styles

WBK95
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  milan_chen Sat May 09, 2015 9:36 pm

Sailor WAN wrote:

Definitely, it is a blog for girls. I searched for this blog. There are pictures and texts which make the blog more attractive.Assignment 1 Bare-minerals-complexion-rescue-tinted-moisturizerGirls gonna  love this.

thats a lovely fashion blog! love it!!

milan_chen
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  WBK95 Sun May 10, 2015 5:08 am

milan_chen wrote:
Sailor WAN wrote:

Definitely, it is a blog for girls. I searched for this blog. There are pictures and texts which make the blog more attractive.Assignment 1 Bare-minerals-complexion-rescue-tinted-moisturizerGirls gonna  love this.

thats a lovely fashion blog! love it!!

I like it too, it seems gorgeous.

WBK95
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  WBK95 Sun May 10, 2015 5:18 am

YWQY8 wrote:    Basically,Kairos is a ancient word to describe the ideal moment for something to happen.

As it said that modern media makes the boundry of privacy and public weak. People are long to more realistic information rather than made up. The importance of voyeurism can never be ignored. Voyeurism requires us to write based on real life. Although stories  need to be made up and polished, their core and frames must from real lives. Only in that case, what we wrote can attract readers' interest and attention.  

It's really open my eyes.

WBK95
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  Yingying Mon May 11, 2015 11:59 pm

Sailor WAN wrote:

the blog is so interesting, can you recommend some eye cream for me? since my eye cream will be used out bounce

Yingying
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  Yingying Tue May 12, 2015 12:43 am

Yingying wrote:
Sailor WAN wrote:

the blog is so interesting, can you recommend some eye cream for me? since my eye cream will be used out bounce

can you recommend some other makeup for me Razz Razz Razz Razz

Yingying
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  Yingying Tue May 12, 2015 12:47 am

Yingying wrote:
Sailor WAN wrote:

by the way, can you recommend some perfume for me Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Yingying
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sailor WAN Tue May 12, 2015 1:05 am

Yingying wrote:

you got full level now! Congras!!

Sailor WAN
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum