English 1000
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Analyzing rhetorical situations

+6
lzh
kelly1994
Yingying
WBK95
Sailor WAN
milan_chen
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Analyzing rhetorical situations - Page 2 Empty Re: Analyzing rhetorical situations

Post  Leo ZHANG Thu May 14, 2015 3:17 am

milan_chen wrote:The first man Mike Pence starts his question with a young man’s letter, and he raised questions about jobs and unemployment. As giving evidence, he used very detailed statistics as he states the unemployment rate is 10% now which is 2% higher than Obama promised. Such specific numbers are convincing and powerful which can fully support his idea. In the end of his speak,he puts forward his question about having taxes cuts and stimulating economic growth, emphasizing “in name of struggling families” and many other people “advocated”. In this situation, he tried his best to stand at the side of millions of American people as well as speak out their concerns and worries. He does create himself an image of a public servant and we could easily sense he adopts pathos and ethos in his speak.

The second representative puts his question “why not start spending freezing now…. get a vote on and in a house.” His voice is loud with fast speed, it is easy to feel that he is mighty on his questions and he is eager to receive an answer from the president. Besides he used statistics of budget of 84% and 300% as evidence, his logic is clear and it could be regarded as logos.

At time elapsed around 23:30, another representative raised his question about health care. He repeated “disappointed” for several times that is obvious to sense his trust on the government is failed. His tone is strong and moving. “… we never get a letter we never get a call, we never get involved in it.” The use of parallelism strengthens his tone and his complaint is fully expressed. Obviously, he used pathos a lot in his speak. Yet what is interesting he hasn’t actually put forward a clear question because interrupted him and starts reply. It’s not necessary to conclude a whole statement into a straight question sometime and we can feel the question from his description.

The fourth question is presented by a lady, who has a clear and sweet voice. She speaks slowly but emotionally, which could easily appeal to people’s resonance. She keeps referring the healthcare problems as lessons as well as she emphasizes odd ideas should be discarded when embracing good ideas. “we want to do with you, we want to sit with you.” “When will we look forward to starting a new and sitting down with you and put all ideas on the table…” her tone is requesting, polite and decent, showing that she really want to find an appropriate time and have an elaborated discussion with Obama about healthcare reform. Her presentation is full of sincerity and definitely she appeals to pathos most.
good anlysis

Leo ZHANG
Beginner
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Analyzing rhetorical situations - Page 2 Empty Re: Analyzing rhetorical situations

Post  Leo ZHANG Thu May 14, 2015 3:17 am

milan_chen wrote:When I was in primary school, I really hated literacy. But something happened changed my mind. On one Sunday, I invited one of my friends to play with me in my home. Suddenly she dropped my ink box and she got a black stain on her white shirt. She was in a mess and because of afraid of being blamed by her parents, she started crying. I was at a loss at first too, but suddenly I noticed there’s a life magazine over the table, I picked it up and read it quickly. Fortunately I found that water used to wash rice could clean the ink stain effectively. I followed the steps on the magazine to wash my friend’s shirt and happily we found out the shirt was cleaned to a large extent. From then on I started to realize the importance of reading and literacy.

When I was senior three, I was crazy about an English TV series named Merlin. Only watching those episodes couldn’t satisfy my fancy about this work and I started to read fan fiction. After I read all of the good stories in Chinese, I tried to read the high rated stories in English to meet my eager. After a week or two, it really surprised me that I found that my ability of English reading and writing had been greatly improved, which inspired me to continue doing so not only for my fancy but also for the improvement of English skills.

After I entered university, I was occasionally chosen as the substitute for my class team of the department’s debating competition. My first present was at the final round and I was really nervous. On the stage I felt other participant’s eloquence as well as their ability of acting spontaneously. Only a person who has a master of literacy could be competent for such games. Realizing the gap between those good players and me, I realized how important literacy is and what advantages I would have if I have good literacy skills.
your story sounds cool...

Leo ZHANG
Beginner
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Post  kelly1994 Thu May 14, 2015 6:09 pm

good remark! keep up the good work!

kelly1994
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  kelly1994 Thu May 14, 2015 6:10 pm

and by the way , i really like your opinion!

kelly1994
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  kelly1994 Thu May 14, 2015 6:12 pm

milan_chen wrote:1. The Gee’s definition of literacy: a socially accepted association among ways of using language, of thinking, and of acting that can be used to identify oneself as a member of a socially meaningful group or a social network. In order to explain it, Gee refers to the word “discourse”. Discourse is like “identity kit”, which comes complete with the appropriate costume and instructions on how to act and talk so as to take on a particular role that others will recognize. Gee uses an example of linguist to illustrate it:  being “trained” as a linguist meant that an individual learned to speak, think, and act like a linguist and to recognize others when they do so. Every act of speaking, writing, and behaving a linguist does as a linguist is meaningful only against the background of the whole social institution of linguistics and that institution is made up of concrete things.

2. Yes it changed my understanding of literacy. I used to believe that literacy means writing as well as thinking according to a certain structure, which is necessary for high- technical society. But now I realize that literacy has something to do with social, it means someone need to receive others recognition of being part of this society.
great opinion! nice summary!

kelly1994
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  kelly1994 Thu May 14, 2015 6:12 pm

zzy8987 wrote:
lzh wrote:
milan_chen wrote:For me I had chosen a Harry Potter fan blog on Pinterest. Unlike the traditional weblogs, this site presents its contents in a clear and animated way: in the home page of this blog, the interface is divided into certain parts in shape of rectangle. Inside each of the section there’s a theme on the top, with four related pictures beneath. By clicking each section, audiences can open a new page with more pictures and passages about the specific theme. Since the blog is full of pictures, it could easily attract people.

Personally speaking, I believe the best audiences for this blog are the fans of Harry Potter and people who are interested in movies or British culture. Definitely Harry Potter fans would be willing to read more news and funny stories about it, and viewing comics and gifs as well. As for the amateurs of movies and British culture, they could learn more about their interested areas by clicking a link which is related to the film making about Harry Potter, or reading a passage concerning the filming locations in Britain.

In terms of communication, there’s a chatboard section, which could be easily find from the home page. Fans and followers can communicate with each other, and the blog’s owner as well. What’s more, people could also reply and communicate under a certain topic, expressing their opinions. If they really like the post, they could click the “like” button and share it with their friends via facebook or twitter.

Generally speaking, the way this blog presents is efficient as well as attractive. In comparison with words, this blog hooks up its audience by pictures at their first sight. Audiences could easily obtain the information they want according to the succinct categories. The fast and simple way to communicate also attributes to the interactions between the blog owner and its audiences.

I really like Harry Potter, too. His story accompanied me for my whole childhood! I kept all the books and download all movies Very Happy
I think The lord of the rings is the best!!
i feel the same way too!

kelly1994
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  kelly1994 Thu May 14, 2015 6:22 pm

milan_chen wrote:The first man Mike Pence starts his question with a young man’s letter, and he raised questions about jobs and unemployment. As giving evidence, he used very detailed statistics as he states the unemployment rate is 10% now which is 2% higher than Obama promised. Such specific numbers are convincing and powerful which can fully support his idea. In the end of his speak,he puts forward his question about having taxes cuts and stimulating economic growth, emphasizing “in name of struggling families” and many other people “advocated”. In this situation, he tried his best to stand at the side of millions of American people as well as speak out their concerns and worries. He does create himself an image of a public servant and we could easily sense he adopts pathos and ethos in his speak.

The second representative puts his question “why not start spending freezing now…. get a vote on and in a house.” His voice is loud with fast speed, it is easy to feel that he is mighty on his questions and he is eager to receive an answer from the president. Besides he used statistics of budget of 84% and 300% as evidence, his logic is clear and it could be regarded as logos.

At time elapsed around 23:30, another representative raised his question about health care. He repeated “disappointed” for several times that is obvious to sense his trust on the government is failed. His tone is strong and moving. “… we never get a letter we never get a call, we never get involved in it.” The use of parallelism strengthens his tone and his complaint is fully expressed. Obviously, he used pathos a lot in his speak. Yet what is interesting he hasn’t actually put forward a clear question because interrupted him and starts reply. It’s not necessary to conclude a whole statement into a straight question sometime and we can feel the question from his description.

The fourth question is presented by a lady, who has a clear and sweet voice. She speaks slowly but emotionally, which could easily appeal to people’s resonance. She keeps referring the healthcare problems as lessons as well as she emphasizes odd ideas should be discarded when embracing good ideas. “we want to do with you, we want to sit with you.” “When will we look forward to starting a new and sitting down with you and put all ideas on the table…” her tone is requesting, polite and decent, showing that she really want to find an appropriate time and have an elaborated discussion with Obama about healthcare reform. Her presentation is full of sincerity and definitely she appeals to pathos most.
great analysis!

kelly1994
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  milan_chen Thu May 14, 2015 7:02 pm

Yingying wrote:
milan_chen wrote:For me I had chosen a Harry Potter fan blog on Pinterest. Unlike the traditional weblogs, this site presents its contents in a clear and animated way: in the home page of this blog, the interface is divided into certain parts in shape of rectangle. Inside each of the section there’s a theme on the top, with four related pictures beneath. By clicking each section, audiences can open a new page with more pictures and passages about the specific theme. Since the blog is full of pictures, it could easily attract people.

Personally speaking, I believe the best audiences for this blog are the fans of Harry Potter and people who are interested in movies or British culture. Definitely Harry Potter fans would be willing to read more news and funny stories about it, and viewing comics and gifs as well. As for the amateurs of movies and British culture, they could learn more about their interested areas by clicking a link which is related to the film making about Harry Potter, or reading a passage concerning the filming locations in Britain.

In terms of communication, there’s a chatboard section, which could be easily find from the home page. Fans and followers can communicate with each other, and the blog’s owner as well. What’s more, people could also reply and communicate under a certain topic, expressing their opinions. If they really like the post, they could click the “like” button and share it with their friends via facebook or twitter.

Generally speaking, the way this blog presents is efficient as well as attractive. In comparison with words, this blog hooks up its audience by pictures at their first sight. Audiences could easily obtain the information they want according to the succinct categories. The fast and simple way to communicate also attributes to the interactions between the blog owner and its audiences.

wow, i also like watching Harry Potter, i think this blog is very good for Harry fans farao farao farao farao farao farao king king king queen queen queen queen sunny sunny sunny sunny affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid

yeah defnitely!!!

milan_chen
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  milan_chen Thu May 14, 2015 7:03 pm

Yingying wrote:

i dont like Harry, i like girl

you are talking about Hermini right? I like her she's my godness!

milan_chen
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  milan_chen Thu May 14, 2015 7:04 pm

Ziqi Xiao wrote:

I have no idea about the blog of Harry Potter fan. By the way, I like Harry Potter. Although it is not my best movie for me, but i went to Orlando Disney. There is a Harry Potter theme park, that is so cool!! so wonderful!!! and magic!!!

Give me five I also went there!!! OMG that's an amazing theme park!

milan_chen
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  milan_chen Thu May 14, 2015 7:13 pm

WBK95 wrote:
milan_chen wrote:When I was in primary school, I really hated literacy. But something happened changed my mind. On one Sunday, I invited one of my friends to play with me in my home. Suddenly she dropped my ink box and she got a black stain on her white shirt. She was in a mess and because of afraid of being blamed by her parents, she started crying. I was at a loss at first too, but suddenly I noticed there’s a life magazine over the table, I picked it up and read it quickly. Fortunately I found that water used to wash rice could clean the ink stain effectively. I followed the steps on the magazine to wash my friend’s shirt and happily we found out the shirt was cleaned to a large extent. From then on I started to realize the importance of reading and literacy.

When I was senior three, I was crazy about an English TV series named Merlin. Only watching those episodes couldn’t satisfy my fancy about this work and I started to read fan fiction. After I read all of the good stories in Chinese, I tried to read the high rated stories in English to meet my eager. After a week or two, it really surprised me that I found that my ability of English reading and writing had been greatly improved, which inspired me to continue doing so not only for my fancy but also for the improvement of English skills.

After I entered university, I was occasionally chosen as the substitute for my class team of the department’s debating competition. My first present was at the final round and I was really nervous. On the stage I felt other participant’s eloquence as well as their ability of acting spontaneously. Only a person who has a master of literacy could be competent for such games. Realizing the gap between those good players and me, I realized how important literacy is and what advantages I would have if I have good literacy skills.

That was really interesting story about your experience with literacy. I never like literacy in my young age, because I do not like writing and reading.
I did not like learning language either, so I totally understand your feelings.

I only like learning language for other reasons, not for learning language itself lol

milan_chen
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  milan_chen Thu May 14, 2015 7:15 pm

Leo ZHANG wrote:

great book I like read it.

yeah Harry Potter is awesome. I just finished watching all the movie for the second time

milan_chen
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  yzcmf Thu May 14, 2015 7:17 pm

Most of your articles looks good and original and after reading I find that your English is very ok I guess you may have a total of 100+ level.I think that I need to learn a lot from you. Smile Smile

yzcmf
Goose
Goose

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2