English 1000
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literacy Story Prewriting

Go down

Literacy Story Prewriting Empty Literacy Story Prewriting

Post  Chrisklip11 Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:31 pm

I weaved in and out of giant people, shouting and laughing about the game inside. "Keep up," my mom screamed over the noise. I kept my eyes fixed on the back of my brother's head and juked everything else that got in my path. Finally, we turned into the section entrance. I was so excited because my family had seats at the Blues game and it was my first time. I shouted ahead to my brother Andrew, saying "We're going to be able to actually see the puck!" "You can always see the pu..." he trailed off. As he turned to respond, I watched his eyes widen and drift from my nose down to my shirt. "Nosebleed, nosebleed, head up dude," he said quickly. "Mom! Chris has another nosebleed!" he yelled, tugging on her sleeve.
Once the nosebleed started, I remember being disappointed. "I always get them when I'm doing something fun" I thought to myself. Subconsciously I knew from experience that this was going to take at least a period of hockey to fix. I figured that I wasn't going to really watch any of the game so I was pretty upset. That didn't stop me from badgering the hell out of my mom though. Once we got to the bathroom, I remember telling myself that I was cool because I had a nosebleed and all the older guys kept looking at me. I wanted them to think I looked tough even though I didn't know them. I remember thinking how strange it was that I was so accustomed to the sight of my blood covering a sink.
Most of the conversations I had were with my mother. "Stop putting your head up. Let it run into the sink" she scolded me. I remember thinking that she never stops talking about the medical side of everything. "It's so cold in here. That's probably what ruptured the blood vessel," voicing her thoughts. "Well then hockey sucks" I thought. I didn't want to go through a nosebleed every night I came to watch a Blues game. I kept saying "Let's stick a Kleenex in it I don't care. I'm going to miss the whole game!" She insisted, "It'll only be a few more minutes. It's slowing down." When we finally got up to our seats, I saw the 2nd period had already started and I gave my mom the most spiteful look. "I told you!" I shouted to her. My brothers both chuckled at me, but they had watched the game from the start. "Shut up," I muttered, landing a punch on Andrew's shoulder. He just looked at me and laughed. "Nosebleed in the nosebleeds, get it?" he chuckled.

As I entered, I heard the horn go off to start a cheer
Everyone inside screamed constantly
My mom shouted at me to stay close to her
I saw a man carrying 3 beers, spilling little drops of foam over the edges
I could feel the stitching that etched around the blue note on the jersey against my bare chest
The Blues jersey that I wore felt weird because it was so oversized
A strange mix of the smell of urine, beer, and hot dogs permeated the building

Chrisklip11
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Literacy Story Prewriting Empty Hills Like White Elephants

Post  Chrisklip11 Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:15 pm

"I said the hills are like white elephants. Wasn't that bright?"
"It's really an awfully simple operation, Jig"
"So have I...and afterward they were all so happy"
"And we could have all this...And we could have everything and every day we make it more impossible"

Personally, I really enjoy Hemingway's writing style because he doesn't openly broadcast the meaning behind his writing. He uses central images and plain dialogue that is unbiased towards the characters which I like a lot. He lets the reader take their own opinions towards each character.

Chrisklip11
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Literacy Story Prewriting Empty Paper #2 Discourse Research

Post  Chrisklip11 Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:08 pm

Initially, the author discusses the fact that bullying is seen by many researchers and scientists as a formative experience of childhood. Most people don't suffer long-lasting trauma from the events of their childhood and actually see the bullying as a preparation for the high-pressure situations of the adult life. He also writes about the frequency of bullying in the adult workplace. Overall, his first argument says that nature demands that there is an imbalance of power in every relationship so one person will be characterized as a bully and the other as a victim. Secondly, he talks about the different bullying prevention methods in countries around the world. Countries like Scandinavia and Norway immediately took up aggressive positions against bullying in their countries as soon as it became an issue in schools. Lastly, he writes about the social intelligence of bullies and the coping strategies of victims. Bullies tend to have a higher social intelligence than previously thought. Victim coping strategies tend to vary from male to female. The author is essentially trying to say that there is still a lot of ground to cover before scientists and psychologists can completely understand the topic of bullying. He says, "Given the normative nature of bullying, it will be a continual struggle to keep it within acceptable limits." However, he says that this research to understand and prevent bullying is "worthwhile".

I think this article is valuable for my paper because it provides a scientific look at the issue of bullying. In my mind, I thought of the discourse of bullying in a different way. Bullying was just a result of a bad childhood or having anger management issues. However, I now understand that bullying is much more based on things like imbalances of power and bully/victim relationships. Also, I think I can use the section of his essay that talks about how the trauma of bullying doesn't affect many people as they age. Personally, I look back on my incident and laugh at how stupid it was. I learned a simple lesson and I don't have long-term trauma so I'll use his argument about that fact in my paper.

Chrisklip11
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Literacy Story Prewriting Empty Bibliography Research Paper

Post  Chrisklip11 Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:44 pm

McCall, William. "Nike Battles Backlash from Overseas Sweatshops." Marketing News 32.23 (1998): 14. Web.

Anonymous. "Business: Sweatshop Wars." The Economist 350.8108 (1999): 62-63. Web.

Friedman, Andrew. "Garment Workers Face Down Cops in Slave-Labor Uniforms." The Village Voice 47.6 (2002): 48. Web.

Anonymous. "Sweatshop Stats." Women's Wear Daily (2002): 3. Web.

Zwolinski, Matt. "Sweatshops, Choice, and Exploitation." Business Ethics Quarterly 17.4 (2007): 689-727. Web.

Powell, Benjamin. "Meet the Old Sweatshops: Same as the New." The Independent Review 19.1 (2014): 109-122. Web.

Robbins, Bruce. "The Sweatshop Sublime." PMLA 117.1 (2002): 84-97. Web.

Chrisklip11
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Literacy Story Prewriting Empty Research Paper Outline

Post  Chrisklip11 Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:31 am

Question: What are conditions like for female and child laborers in Asian Nike sweatshops?

Thesis: Although it has attempted to enact reforms in its illegal sweatshops, Nike continues to allow gross violations of living standard wages, their Code of Conduct, and basic human rights, forcing the informed population to fight for the worker’s rights.

Body Paragraph #1: Discuss the economics of sweatshops
1. Talk about underpayment of workers
2. Talk about the pay raises that bosses take because of extra money
Body Paragraph #2: Discuss living conditions of workers
1. Refer to Keady’s video and descriptions
2. Talk about what percentage of money is used for basic necessities
Body Paragraph #3: Discuss conditions of factories and restrictions
1. Talk specifically about the conditions imposed on pregnant women
2. Talk about child labor and overtime work
Body Paragraph #4: Discuss the basic human rights in Nike’s code of conduct
1. Talk about the rules that are violated in the sweatshops
2. Finish by discussing Nike’s recent action to counteract sweatshops