English 1000
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gee literacy

Go down

Gee literacy Empty Gee literacy

Post  GabrielleFost Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:08 pm

James Paul Gee describes his definition of literacy as a piece of folk wisdom that part of what linguistic do is define words. He also used the word discourse throughout this article. This word means a socially accepted association among ways of using language, of thinking, and of acting that can be used to identify oneself as a member of a socially meaningful group or a social network. He thinks of discourse as an identity kit. To acquire literacy one need to know that he/she will need to gain this knowledge in order to function, not because he/she is being forced.

My definition of literacy before reading this article was just the written word and the meaning behind it. I also believed that it was something we learned in school. James Paul Gee states that literacy is much more than that, it is being able to use a language in a socially acceptable manner. After reading this article I realize that I did not learn to read from school, I acquired the skill more and more each day from my surroundings and listening to my parents talk and obtaining it like a sponge. Literacy isn't something that can be taught it something that you just learn from watching people. School gives you the fundamentals to be able to understand literacy.

GabrielleFost
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum