English 1000
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Response to Reading Forum

Go down

Response to Reading Forum Empty Response to Reading Forum

Post  madmkane Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:57 pm

If I was to explain what rhetorical analysis and rhetorical situation was to my friend I would start with rhetorical analysis. Rhetorical analysis is how a writer breaks a piece of writing into parts in order to analyze how it creates a certain effect. Either the writer is trying to persuade the audience to feel a certain way about a subject, educate the audience, or entertain the audience. I then would explain what rhetorical situation is. Rhetorical situation is how you communicate with a person based on the situation. For instance, if one of my friends was going through a hard time I would write them a heartfelt letter instead of a simple text.
When I'm writing online, I think I am more ethos. I am a very confident person and I am also very trustworthy. I believe it is easier to tell the truth and be straight forward than to lie your way out of things. No matter how hard the truth is to tell someone, the truth is always better to hear then to find out someone is lying.

madmkane
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Response to Reading Forum Empty Intro to Blogosphere

Post  madmkane Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:21 am

According to the internet, Kairos means "opportune moment" or "supreme moment". A big concern for web blogging is, as web blogging is growing, less and less people have a private life. I agree with this because I know first hand how much access I have to other people's personal life. My concern for weblog is there is not a lot of sensory therefore people are exposed to much more mature content at a younger age than people were before. Some good things, some bad for the younger readers.
Voyeurism is important when we are reading something because we are fascinated with what we are reading and on web blog we are fascinated with people's personal and sexual life. Also it is important for when we are writing because we are trying to show people our feelings and express our emotion.

Questions:
1) How relevant is this to our society today?
2) When was this article written?
3) Is the information provided recent?

madmkane
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Response to Reading Forum Empty President Answers Questions

Post  madmkane Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:13 pm

From the beginning of the video, (3:00) the first question asked is kind of making the President feel like it is his fault for the more unemployment. Also the congressman is providing information of the past unemployment rates with the other presidents (logos). The president answers this question by saying, we need to look at the future, not the past and he will "embrace" the republicans ideas. We need to move forward and think what is best for the country. Another person asking a question (11:51) keeps bringing up the past, the president again answers this question by saying he is going to "embrace" the Republican ideas. The next person says that the United states has increased spending by 84% kind of blaming the president again. I see that the congressmen left unsaid was the data after the recovery act. As the video goes on, they bring up Health care. And President Obama says that we all want but it has to work. Everyone hopes but it has to be realistic. (32:34) The president brings up how he looks at a lot of the ideas in the package he receives. He says "its not that many of these aren't workable, but they have to refine them to make sure they don't make the situation worse". What I am seeing in this video is that it's harder than it looks. We must look at it through his eyes and choose whats best for the country.

I've noticed that the people are more putting the president down rather than asking him questions.

madmkane
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Response to Reading Forum Empty Prewriting Assignment

Post  madmkane Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:12 pm

My blog presents itself when the author of the blog says, "I hope to one day make my desire to inspire, encourage, and guide people part of my career. PAUSE: See what I did there? I finally have reached a topic - deciding/thinking about a future career.". However, beforehand she presents the topic by giving a small intro that was broad and then as she went on, began to narrow it into what she really wanted to talk about which was, the future.

I believe the blog reaches out to teenagers because she is talking about the future. As teenagers, it is that time in our lives where we are growing up and going off to college and have to start thinking about the future and what careers we might want to pursue. The other reason I think she is directing this blog towards teenagers is because she is a teenager herself. The informal style of writing she uses really makes this blog relatable to the teenage audience.

From the blog, I can tell that the audience seems to value someone they can relate to and is going through the same struggles themselves. Teenagers value what makes them happy and the author of this blog is encouraging that value. I personally chose this blog because I am a teenager trying to decide what I am going to do in the future. Although this blog isn't telling us teenagers what our future plan is, it certainly makes us think about what we are going to do.

As I wrote, the author works with the audience because she is a teenager herself and it makes this blog very relatable.

madmkane
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Response to Reading Forum Empty Defining Literacy

Post  madmkane Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:45 am

Gee describes literacy as piece of folk wisdom that part of what linguistics do is define words. He describes discourse as an "identity kit", which can be acquired or learned. Acquisition is the process of acquiring something subconsciously without a process of being taught. Learning is the process that involves conscious knowledge gained through teaching. Throughout the reading he uses discourse a lot. Some examples he gives of discourse are being an American, a man/woman, a doctor or hospital patient, or a student. He says discourse can be primary discourse or secondary discourse. Primary meaning something that is being acquired like your first language. Secondary is something that is being learned or taught such as a second language.

I always that to be literate it means to just have the ability to read or write, but there are many factors to literacy. I never really went into that much depth thinking about what literacy means. This reading didn't really change my mind, it just made me think a little bit more.

madmkane
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Response to Reading Forum Empty Writing is a Technology that Reconstructs Thought

Post  madmkane Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:12 pm

In Ogna's writing, he is talking about people who are literate and people who are illiterate. He states that, "Illiterates should learn writing as they learned to tie their shoe-laces or to drive a car". Being able to read and write are so important in this world, and people from higher technological societies see literacy as being the norm.

madmkane
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Response to Reading Forum Empty Pre-writing assignment

Post  madmkane Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:34 pm

When I was younger, I always wanted to play tennis. I never really got into playing until I was in high school. Having a twin sister who also played tennis in high school started off as fun, but then turned competitive. Since we both started playing tennis around the same time, we were both on the about same skill level, competing for the same spot on varsity. Everyone always said I was the more athletic twin and my twin, Mary Kate, was the more "girly", nonathletic twin. Since Mary Kate and I were competing for the same spot on varsity, we were forced to play each other multiple times until one of us beat the other one. It may have been all fun in games for other girls, but for my twin and I it was a competitive, screaming at each other, loud tennis match that we thought would never end.

Thinking I was going to beat Mary Kate easily was not the best idea. Something must have gotten into Mary Kate that day because she was nothing I would've expected. Mary Kate was all over the place, hitting back tennis balls that I wouldn't have been able to. "Come on Madeline, serve the ball" Mary Kate impatiently screamed as I was about to serve. "Shut up, I am", I yelled. No matter how good I thought my serve was, Mary Kate would always be able to return it. I remember being so pissed that I wasn't beating her already. Our match lasted two whole days. We couldn't even talk to each other at home without fighting over who was going to win or who sucks at tennis more.

The second day of playing Mary Kate was no better than the first. Again, we were screaming at each other. I remember screaming, "Mary Kate, you suck", and my coach yelling at me to be nicer. I didn't care how ridiculous I was being, I just wanted to beat my twin. As our match was coming to an end, Mary Kate and I became a little worn out-me more than Mary Kate. My twin was beginning to get more points than me. As I began to lose, I sort of just, gave up! Mary Kate ended up beating me and was on varsity and I wasn't.

After the match, our coach made Mary Kate and I shake hands. Being a stubborn, Junior in high school, I refused.

madmkane
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Response to Reading Forum Empty The inner game of tennis

Post  madmkane Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:14 am

This article is explaining what the author is thinking while playing tennis. The author explains the very beginning of him playing tennis and learning how to play the game.

This article will help me explain my paper better and go into more detail. it gives me an idea of how i should rewrite my paper. It also brings back memories that I had and forgot when writing my first draft. This paper brings back many memories of some things that I forgot.

madmkane
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Response to Reading Forum Empty Re: Response to Reading Forum

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum