English 1000
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sentence outline - Eating habits in America

2 posters

Go down

Sentence outline - Eating habits in America  Empty Sentence outline - Eating habits in America

Post  Katrine Haarklau Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:07 am

What is the biggest factor responsible for Americans high fast food consumption?

I. “In 1970, Americans spent about $6 billion on fast food; in 2000, they spent more than $110 billion. Americans now spend more money on fast food than on higher education, personal computers, computer software, or new cars. They spend more on fast food than on movies, books, magazines, newspapers, videos, and recorded music - combined.
a. Who is to blame for fast food’s effects on Americans? Or
b. What is the biggest factor responsible for Americans high fast food consumption?

II. One answer to my question is the accessibility in the growing fast food industry. Almost wherever you are whether it is a large urban city, a tiny town or just a gas-station far away from everything that is called urban you will find well-known fast food chains or get the access to unhealthy snacks, but it seems like the American society cant get enough of it; the industry is expanding, which makes the access even more severe, and their profit is just growing and growing.
a. -------- ------- explains in his New York Times article that the growth of the industry comes from a change in the society. For example, some decades ago the mother in the house stayed at home and made food for the family, but now we buy more food at restaurants, mainly fast food restaurants. The society has also grown into a more fast-pace society, with its citizens always busy with work and life, then it is easy and tempting to go for a quick, tasty and cheap food options.

III. We cannot, however, put all the guilt on the fast-food industry. We might think that when all comes to all adult Americans are responsible for them self, and, to a certain extent, they can do their own decisions on what food to consume. Than we can ask our self why do so many people purchase more and more fast food, even though they are aware of the health effects it can cause. Many scholars in this area now agrees on that Junk food can be addictive.
a. Robyn Chuter, an Naturopath and EFT Therapist, explains in her article, The Hidden Addiction, writes that there is “strong evidence that sugar and other refined sweeteners, other refined carbohydrates, fat salt and caffeine are addictive substances, which cause many people to lose control over their ability to regulate their consumption of foods rich in these substances.” (_________________)Further she explains that animal experiments supporting this statement have found that animals being exposed to fattened or/and sweetened food develop changes in their brains equal to what that happens if they expose the animals to addicting drugs such as cocaine or heroin. Drawing the parallel between obese Americans and drug addictives might sound a little bit harch, but it can be a big psychological reason for why many americans have problems with changing their unhealthy eating habits: “With continual over-consumption of junk food or addictive drugs, tolerance progresses to the point where the pleasure centres 'crash'. Now the person (or rat] simply cannot consume enough of the addictive substance to feel good anymore - but they can't feel 'normal' unless they have their drug or food 'in their system'.” (--- hidden addictive)
b. A personal story.

IV. But seen from an economic perspective, the price for different kinds of food categories is also an answer to my question that we should include.
a. United States Department of Agriculture: Did a survey to figure out if healthy food is more expensive. The conclusion was that foods low in calories (fruit and vegetables) costs more per calorie than less healthy food. So this is an expensive way to purchase food energy.. Following the study says that it is not that costly to meet the food recommendations when it comes to healthy food items such as grains, diary and fruit, but if you want to include vegetables or protein foods it gets more expensive. SO we cant exclude that price matters,
b. Reverse the a statement I disagree with!
c. research even shows that there is a correlation between poor areas and obesity.“Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) showed that Mississippi, the poorest state in America, has the nation's highest obesity rate, at 34.9 percent. States in the South and Midwest, which, in some cases, represent the poorest parts of the country, showed the highest incidences of obesity.” (----- why are we so fatmoney--) This is just a correlation, though interesting. We need to have in mind that other factors also plays a role in this results such as gender, culture, genes, biology and lastly, but not less important, politics.
d. My self buy healthy food example.

V. Mentioning politics: the American Government also can be a part of the explanation of why Americans is labeled as a, nutrition wise, unhealthy people. Even though we cant imagine how difficult it is to direct the entire American nation in more healthy direction, many scholars on this topic means that the government should be more active in regards to switch the path into a more healthy direction.
a. According to NaturalNews.com the American government do subside factory farms, chemical-intensive farming and food processing which indirectly is a part of making the fast-food’s industry profit grow even bigger.
b. Science shows that putting taxes on unhealthy food or subsidy businesses that grow or sell fruit and vegetables might lead to a healthier people: “Higher fast-food prices were associated with lower weight outcomes particularly among adolescents, suggesting that raising prices would potentially impact weight outcomes. Lower fruit and vegetable prices were generally found to be associated with lower body weight outcomes among both low-income children and adults, suggesting that subsidies that would reduce the cost of fruits and vegetables for lower- socioeconomic populations may be effective in reducing obesity. “(Price_____obesity).

VI. But is doesn’t help the American Government to work faster on this issue if the public opinion is divided on whether it is up to each individual or the American government to take action, which is my 5th reason for why Americans is going the opposite direction from what nutritionists recommends.
a. According to NEWS (--NEWS government and obersity):“48 percent said that obesity is a private matter and personal responsibility that should be dealt with by individu- als alone, while 47 percent said that it is a public health issue requiring government intervention.” (--NEWS government and obersity). Yes, these results do definitely not work as a generator for the American Government, but many might say that being the most obese people in the world should make the government act out from that.
b. Despite the divided opinion re- garding government intervention, 62 percent of the respondents said they support the idea of requiring restau- rants to list nutrition information on their menus.They also strongly sup- ported government educational cam- paigns (75%) (--NEWS government and obersity) ??????
c. ”Denmark implemented the world’s first tax that directly targets saturated fat in foods… Any products which contain more than 2.3 percent saturated fat are subject to the tax” (---Danmark fat tax)
d. Norway and Kiwi

VII. Seems like the are many reasons, and that america is in a bad cycle as a over all people. I have discussed social, political, economics, spycological, physical and historical factors that keep this downward sloping sprial to spin. The salotions to these things deservs a paper by it self. But only the future can tell us who that will act on these.
a. My opinion on what is the biggest.

Katrine Haarklau
Beginner
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Sentence outline - Eating habits in America  Empty Re: Sentence outline - Eating habits in America

Post  yufan qiu Thu May 16, 2013 10:37 am

When I first saw American's eating, I really figured that the habbits were really different. We use chopochoticks, they use forks. Well, this is the point that I can understand. But I really have question on how they could eat a huge pizza during midnight, how they could eat so many cheese in there meals.

yufan qiu
Goose
Goose

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum