English 1000
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Responses for the Q&A

Go down

Responses for the Q&A Empty Responses for the Q&A

Post  Weijian Li Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:07 pm

According to what I have found, the politicians first set up a question or topic and then will use specific data to make their words more persuasive. Like they might mention some people specifically who do not have a job or just use the real facts to illustrate the evidence.
The politicians ask Obama about his thoughts of the most common problems in the current society and what he is going to do about that. Like the unemployment problem, tax relief, energy problem and health care.
As for the tones of different speakers.First of all, I want to discuss about Obama. Definitely, I think in most situations, Obama's tone seems to be very confident as he needs to convince the politicians and public that his policy is right. Secondary, about other speakers who ask these questions, their tones are vary. Basically, at the beginning, their tones are all very respectful. But after that, when their tones have changed a lot which depends on their proposal. Like the person from Utah, he wants to express his disappointing about Obama as he kind of fails to make what he said come true according to the person's perspective, so his tone seems to be very disappointed. And with regard to another lady who concerns about that Obama does not put many good opinions and ideas from them on the table so that it can make the taxpayers and society better, her tone seems to be more excited and inflammatory. Therefore, I think the tones of different speakers mostly depends on their proposals and what they are going to put forward.
There are many examples that have a use of logos and most of them are used by Obama. Just like when the Obama talks about the question of unemployment. First, he uses data to prove that the job losses does become more severe in these days which disagreed with what he has said when he was sworn in. But according to the fact, as at the time, the policy has not gone in to work, it does not reflect the failure of that policy. Besides, as the problem has become more severe, they should reconsider such problem so that the policy could be more suitable. This is an order process to demonstrate the unemployment and at the same time to mention the policy to deal with it. Another example is when Obama answers why he resists some proposals. Although these proposals seem to be great, he is not a ideologue and he could not just let the proposals come into effect without credible economists back up these ideas (10:16). (Logos)
On the other hand, Obama also appears to have a use of Pathos, just as what he has made toward the first questioner's crew, a friendly greet with a big smile face. (Pathos)
Finally, with regard to the use of ethos, Obama uses many directly related characters and data in order to convince his words. For example, in the first question, when Obama says about why he does not take the proposal into effect immediately, he says that he just listens to the consensus among people who know the economy best. (16:16) I think this convinces the first speaker that now it is not the right time to make his proposal go into effect. Besides, in conversation with the lady from West Virginia, Obama also first claims that he has heard what she says all the time from her government in order to ensure the lady that he knows what the exact conditions in West Virginia so that what he says later will be more trustworthy. (Ethos)

Weijian Li
Beginner
Beginner

Back to top Go down