English 1000
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What I'm doing for the final...

5 posters

Go down

What I'm doing for the final... Empty What I'm doing for the final...

Post  OliviaPeterkin Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:17 am

I'm going to base my prezi off of the paper that combined what literacy means to me, and my own personal literacy story. Because it has to do with Hawaiian Creole Pidgin and language barriers, I thought it would be cool to include two videos in this presentation. The first would be a clip from well-known YouTube celebrity NigaHiga who is also from Hawaii and has a clip on Pidgin speaking. the second video I wish to include is one of my own creation, because my paper is focused on language barriers, I'm interviewing my friends Yei-jing, Joel, and Robert about what literacy means to them and ask them to expand on it.

I'll ask all of them to speak their native languages in the video and put subtitles in. Yei-jing is a MBA student from China, Joel is a journalism major from the Ivory coast (a west-African french speaking country), and Robert is a Music major with a minor in spanish from California by way of Mexico. All of them are Mizzou students and I think that it would be a cool twist to have them voice their thoughts in different languages. I also plan on using quotes from the book "Sista Tongue" by Lisa Linn Kanae, a book that I had to read for my creative writing class on Pidgin speakers. Of course, lines from my essay and pictures that I have of home and comparisons of lifestyles will be included.

That's what I have rendeer

OliviaPeterkin
Dirigible Air Captain
Dirigible Air Captain

Back to top Go down

What I'm doing for the final... Empty Re: What I'm doing for the final...

Post  AlliLadd Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:54 pm

Remember how he said that Prezis are more for presenting information and teaching somebody something, not so much a story! SOmething to think about.

AlliLadd
Dirigible Air Captain
Dirigible Air Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  OliviaPeterkin Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:53 pm

Thanks for the reminder, but there's really no other way for me to present the information I want to-in the way that I want it to look. Combining videos and quotes and pictures etc, is more difficult to present in a way that's aesthetically pleasing without prezi.

OliviaPeterkin
Dirigible Air Captain
Dirigible Air Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  adamlowe Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:08 pm

I think that will work just fine to use a prezi, you would have to rely more on what you were planning to say and use the pictures etc. to supplement your spoken presenting. I think this will be very interesting as well.

adamlowe
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

What I'm doing for the final... Empty Final Project

Post  DanielSherwood Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:04 pm

I think the use of people and their different languages would be really cool. It will add a lot of culture to your project and make it very interesting! This is a GREAT idea and I think it will add a lot to your final project. Great ideas!

DanielSherwood
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  adamlowe Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:10 pm

It might be really cool if you did some interviews and put those interviews on the prezi to help show that this is a real thing and you can prove it.

adamlowe
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  DanielSherwood Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:15 pm

I agree with Adam again. The interviews I believe will do wonders for your final. It will add a lot that will make this presentation more "real" to people. It will almost make it more relatable seeing these average people involved in the project and it will give the project more of a face.

DanielSherwood
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  adamlowe Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:22 pm

Something I have found with journalism that I feel like works in this context as well is the idea of connecting to your audience and this is exactly what you ill be doing with these interviews. It shows the audience that this is a real thing and they will be able to connect and not only get more out of it but also agree with your statements more often than not.

adamlowe
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  DanielSherwood Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:29 pm

Another great point by Adam. If your can make your viewer believe the people they are watching are much like them, you will be a lot better off convincing them to see your argument. Much like Obama did in the election. He attempted to convince people that financially he was more like us, the "blue collar" workers than Romney.

DanielSherwood
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  OliviaPeterkin Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:26 pm

Thank you for the advice, input, and encouragement. I was planning on putting the video in my prezi simply because it was a look into how people who are not natives of America thought. I like that it makes it more relatable though!

OliviaPeterkin
Dirigible Air Captain
Dirigible Air Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  DanielSherwood Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:08 pm

It will make it more credible that is for sure. The ideas you have organized look and sound great so I cannot wait to see the final result and product! Good luck!

DanielSherwood
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  AustinTri Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:19 pm

I like their ideas for the interviews and i know you are passionate about his because you lived in Hawaii and enjoyed it there. I think just how much people will be able to see how much you love and miss it will do wonders for it as well.

AustinTri
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  DanielSherwood Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:37 am

I agree with Austin, I think you really passionate about what you are doing and i think that will show your readers a very convincing look into this. Good luck with the project and keep up all the great work, can't wait to see the final presentation.

DanielSherwood
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum