English 1000
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prewriting Research

+3
AlliLadd
ianvandam
TiannaBr
7 posters

Go down

Prewriting Research Empty Prewriting Research

Post  TiannaBr Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:51 pm

Here is an attempt at an introduction for my research paper:

“I’m a Barbie girl, in a Barbie world! Life in plastic, it’s fantastic!” Lyrics of Aqua’s Barbie Girl rang around the world. Barbie has been the subject of many artistic outlets, some more respectable than the one hit wonder. Although, David Levinthal’s “Bad Barbie” makes Aqua’s tribute seem like a Beethoven masterpiece. The most notable work of art featuring the blonde bombshell was Andy Warhol’s “Barbie”. It’s no secret that the Barbie doll is infamous, but being the “it” toy of the century doesn’t come without a price. Barbie, and her creator Mattel, has been under intense criticism for Barbie’s build, representation of women, and characteristics since Barbie’s first day on the shelf. Can Barbie be an American icon, while striping the female population of their core values?

Most of the essays that I have read for my research paper are either for the values of Barbie or against them. One essay I used felt that Barbie could be a role model for young girls. She has had almost every career known to man. She shows that girls can do whatever they what and be whatever they want.
On the other hand, one essay I used said that Barbie's image was harmful to the development of young girls. Her proportions are unhealthy and unrealistic. Young girls would uphold that unreachable norm of what beauty is.

TiannaBr
Beginner
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Prewriting Research Empty Re: Prewriting Research

Post  ianvandam Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:57 am

I think it is very interesting that multiple people in this class have made reference to the "Barbie" perception and the influence it has had on culture. It will be nice to see two opinions create their own concrete presentations on this concept.

ianvandam
Beginner
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Post  AlliLadd Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:57 pm

I"m using the barbie example in my project too!

AlliLadd
Dirigible Air Captain
Dirigible Air Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  adamlowe Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:11 pm

I know we talked about this idea in class the other day and I think it's great! YOu should totally go with it. Make sure you are very clear about what your points are in your script but this is definitely the most creative idea I have heard so far! Keep up the good work!

adamlowe
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Prewriting Research Empty Final Project

Post  DanielSherwood Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:31 pm

I was in your group with Adam in class and I agree with him 100%. You had a lot of good ideas for the video, just make sure they are clearly stated support your side of the argument! Great ideas and work thus far.

DanielSherwood
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  AlliLadd Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:33 pm

If you google "if barbie was real" there are some cool visuals you can use! Im using them in my Prezi as well. Very Happy

AlliLadd
Dirigible Air Captain
Dirigible Air Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  DanielSherwood Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:44 pm

I suggest definitely going with what Ali suggested with the life sized Barbie image. When you see that image of what Barbie looks like life sized it really sends a message! With a digital presentation like a Prezi having that "wow" factor is going to benefit your conclusion.

DanielSherwood
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  OliviaPeterkin Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:31 am

I agree with Ally and Daniel, the life-size Barbie would present a wow factor. The way that Barbie is portrayed as the perfect girl is harmful to any girl's body image simply because Barbie's figure isn't physically possible! You may want to look into why some feel the need to have a figure (person or toy) to emulate. rendeer

OliviaPeterkin
Dirigible Air Captain
Dirigible Air Captain

Back to top Go down

Prewriting Research Empty BARBIE

Post  AustinTri Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:17 pm

I really like this idea because I cant tell that you know about this topic, and really are interested in learning more about barbie. I really like how you started of the project with the words of the song that grabs the attention of the reader immediately.

AustinTri
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  DanielSherwood Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:44 am

I think the use of the songs and the images of life sized Barbie would do wonders for your project. I'm really excited to see how the final project turns out. I'm sure you will do great!! Good luck!

DanielSherwood
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down