English 1000
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Page and a half

3 posters

Go down

Page and a half  Empty Page and a half

Post  molly.still Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:09 pm

My first source is Sanders R. Clinton. /Marks of Mischief: Becoming and Being Tattooed./ JOURNAL OF CONTEMPORARY ETHNOGRAPHY, Vol. 16 No. 4, January 1988 395-432 Sage Publications, Inc. This article talks about the cultural aspect and history of tattooing; as well as the process that people go through when choosing to become tattooed. It also talks about the significance of the location and design of the tattoo. This article has many great quotes from tattooed people about how they feel about their tattoos and others reactions to their tattoos.
My second source is Swami, Viren. /Marked for life?: A prospective study of tattoos on appearance anxiety and dissatisfaction, perceptions of uniqueness, and self-esteem./ (2011) Body Image, 8 (3), pp.237-244. This article talks about different men and women in a study who decided to get tattoos and measured their self-esteem, body appreciation,distinctive appearance investment, self-ascribed uniqueness directly after receiving their tattoo then again three weeks later. It highlights the relationships between the tattooed and their body art. One topic it covers is that some people positive image of self and of their tattoo is short lived, because of non tattooed peoples negative outlooks on tattoos and their bearers.
My last source is Jung Mee Mun, Kristy A. Janigo and Kim K.P. Johnson. /Tattoo and the Self./ Clothing and Textiles Research Journal 2012 30: 139 originally published online 6 June 2012. This article talks about how in the past 30 years tattoos have went through a sort of renaissance, and went from being something only males did to something females did too. This article primarily focuses on women with tattoos. Eighty two percent of females with tattoos connected them with self identity; 76% of people in the study said that they did not care what others thought of their tattoo. However, many said they were more conscious of the clothes they wore not buying certain things if it cut across the tattoo in an unflattering way, or wearing something to cover up the tattoo on certain days depending on the audience or if they felt like today was a "tattoo day".

molly.still
Beginner
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Page and a half  Empty Very cool

Post  adamlowe Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:38 pm

That is very interesting. I like the idea of the impact of the location of the tattoo as well as what the tattoo is of. I think you will be able to make some very compelling arguments. THis could be a very interesting paper.

adamlowe
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Page and a half  Empty Re: Page and a half

Post  AustinTri Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:46 pm

This is one of the more interesting ideas that I have heard so far. I think that you should expand a lot on this because I am also interested in this topic of tatooing.

AustinTri
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Page and a half  Empty Re: Page and a half

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down