English 1000
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sources/Topic Change:x2/Pg+1/2

3 posters

Go down

Sources/Topic Change:x2/Pg+1/2 Empty Sources/Topic Change:x2/Pg+1/2

Post  OliviaPeterkin Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:01 pm

My Paper is now going to be on how men and women's roles have changed. My question would be: Have men and women swapped roles in terms of dominance? I want it to do with the evolution of woman: from pursued to pursuers, and from homemakers to breadwinners and how this may have changed men's roles in the process. Men are now more feminine- caring more about hair and clothes, and less likely to get dirty and be the primary provider in a relationship.
My first source is from a Fox news article that my friend posted on Facebook entitled, "The war on men" by Suzanne Venker. In it, Venker encourages women to "surrender to their natural femininity" and talks about how woman's progression has deterred men from the prospect of marriage and how feminist views influence sexual relationships outside of marriage because "women are in control of their sex lives". The article is based on a book written by Venker with the same title as the article (The war on men). The book covers a lot of points including the fact that women have been raised to view men as the enemy. From our mothers ("Be careful who you give your heart to), to our fathers ("Boys are dogs, they only want one thing-I know, I used to be one of them"), to forms of media like movies and television, (Think Like a man, John Tucker must die, Alfie etc.), and how it's affected our view on men and has instilled this competitive attitude towards the opposite sex in SOME women today.
My second source is a book entitled, "Self made man: One woman's journey into manhood and back again" by Norah Vincent. I found this to be an interesting source because it's written by a journalist who, for eighteen months, operated under the moniker Ned-as a man. She experienced first hand the nuances and unspoken rituals of masculinity and got a sneak peak into how the male mind works in the best way possible: full immersion. In the book, Norah talks about how she even went as far as to date women in her quest to dissect the XY chromosome.
My third source is an article entitled, "Masculinity and femininity -Society's difference dividend". This source is awesome because it not only talks about society's supportive views of women attaining man positions in employment, but it talks about how it has affected the roles of men in terms of house husbands and trophy men. On television, men are no longer portrayed as the strong, providing, family leaders, but instead are viewed to be sloppy fat men who drink beer and watch football. It shows both sides of the coin.
Originally, I had planned to do this paper solely about the evolution of women (work, aggressive,education, etc) But later, I was talking to my friend Charlie and he brought up a few very good points about how men's roles have also been affected. This was the impetus that I needed to bring my topic to the next level: Have society's gender roles swapped?
He was of the opinion that men are less likely to do things like go hunting, get dirty, and play sports in comparison to times past. He also said that bit about TV Dad's portrayal of sideshow instead of leader and provider. Families are no longer operate in the ways that they used to. I plan on asking he, and a few of my other guy friends about my topic in order to have more meat to this paper. I feel like I can get a good feel of the male perspective firsthand from interviewing male college students at Mizzou about their opinions on specific topics.
TBC... farao

Last edited by OliviaPeterkin on Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:09 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : It needed to be fixed.)

OliviaPeterkin
Dirigible Air Captain
Dirigible Air Captain

Back to top Go down

Sources/Topic Change:x2/Pg+1/2 Empty Re: Sources/Topic Change:x2/Pg+1/2

Post  adamlowe Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:04 pm

I like the start a lot, however make sure your sources are credible like Eric wants them to be. Wouldn't want to write your whole paper and realize you need brand new sources.

adamlowe
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  AustinTri Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:53 pm

Again I agree with Adam, these sources do not seem to be the best. Make sure you are careful when citing them, and how Eric wants them to be. He is a little picky, so make sure you follow his guidelines.

AustinTri
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down