English 1000
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Analysis of three sources

3 posters

Go down

Analysis of three sources Empty Analysis of three sources

Post  Alextate Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:30 pm

Alex Tate
English 1000- 11/25/12
Analysis of Three Sources
1) Brandenberger, Max Jr. “Golden Section” Vol. 2. New York: Macmillan Reference USA.
In this article, the author talks about basics in how the golden ratio/ section is the decimal 0.61803… however, it is the analysis of the ratio that is significant. Brandenberger states that the golden ratio has influenced mathematics, art, and architecture the most. He states that the golden ratio is the ratio that is the most visually appealing to the eye when introduced in the prospect of geometry. As such, many different aspects of daily life that is made to look visually pleasing is influenced by the golden ratio. Brandenberger states of how the Parthenon in Athens is made to the proportions of the golden ratio of the perimeter of the ceiling to the amount of columns used. Also, he states that Renaissance painters were attempting to find out that which was most visually pleasing to their audience and as such, led them to the golden ratio. He states that Leonardo Di Vinci used the golden ratio in the shape of the head of the Mona Lisa as well as the lengths of the head to navel and navel to end of the feet in the Vitruvian man, also known as the perfect form of a man to Di Vinci. Brandenberger closes out his article by saying that most people in the world believe of the golden ratio as the most appealing ratio to use in geometric figures and symbols- which has led to its use in modern everyday society.

2) ‘The Golden Section: Elusive, but Detectable.” Written by Vladimir J. Koneˇcni.
In this article, the author talks about recent and previous experiments that attempt to determine the significance of the golden ratio. The studies he said at first talks of how different mathematicians and psychologists have attempted to create experiments in which will only observe the influence of the golden ratio on the human mind as the most appealing visual aspect. As to their results, they found that the golden ratio does have an influence in the ideals of modern people, but it is only one of the many things that influence aesthetics. The experiments showed that the golden ratio is influential, but only when coupled with the other aspects of size, color, structure and composition. However, the most interesting part of this essay is the statement of how the golden ratio influences music. The author states that music is influenced by major chord patterns and rhythmic tempos and cadences being determined by the Fibbonaci numbers. In modern music, the use of different time signatures and patterns that exemplify the golden ratio and Fibbonaci numbers are supposed to be the most pleasing- meaning that the golden ratio does not only influence visual aspects of the human experience.

3) “Golden Section and the Art of Painting”. Written by Agata Olariu.
This article, as the name suggests, focuses on the golden section and how it has influenced art over history. It talks about a study in which only one thing was recorded, the ratio of the short side of rectangles as opposed to the longer side in paintings by 551 different artists. What was figured out was that whether or not the artist was hoping to achieve the golden ratio as the final result, it was found that over 250 of the artists exemplified the golden ratio in their work. I believe that the author meant that by this finding, that the golden ratio is determined to be visually pleasing to the audience regardless of whether or not the artists was trying to achieve the ratio. As such, artists are generally drawn to the ratio regardless if they are trying to achieve the effect or not, meaning that the human mind is drawn to the golden ratio by instinct and nature rather than just by mathematics.

Alextate
Beginner
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Analysis of three sources Empty Re: Analysis of three sources

Post  adamlowe Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:10 pm

I'm really confused. I obviously haven't see all your other posts so I'm sure you have elaborated in those. However after reading this I have no idea what the Golden Ratio was. Make sure you explain this with sources to back it up.

adamlowe
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  AustinTri Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:51 pm

I agree with Adam, this seems to be a little confusing. I would recommend reading over this and making some corrections. Its not all confusing, just parts were really hard to comprehend.

AustinTri
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum