English 1000
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 essays for my question

4 posters

Go down

2 essays for my question Empty 2 essays for my question

Post  Tolen Oliver Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:04 pm

Is drug testing welfare recipients a practical solution to the problem?

[Only admins are allowed to see this link]

This article is discussing the legality of testing people for welfare and the history of the idea in politics. It begins by asking whether or not it is legal to require a drug test, because of the Fourth Amendment. The Fourth Amendment says that the government cannot conduct unreasonable search and seizures. Some people argue that requiring these drug tests fit that category because "The collection and testing of urine for the presence of drugs is considered a search. Consequently, government must have some quantum of individualized suspicion that a person has committed a crime to require her to submit to a test. Obtaining a warrant is part of the process." It then talks about successes and failures by states to drug test, including Michigan and Florida.

[Only admins are allowed to see this link]

This article is bringing up the question of whether or not being on welfare is voluntary, and thus whether or not requiring a drug test is unlawful search and seizure. Requiring a drug test for something that is voluntary is not unlawful on the grounds that you can opt out. The author doesn't seem to think that welfare can be considered voluntary since it is mostly out of someone's control if that need welfare or not. Because of this, texting for drugs is unlawful and is not a good solution.

Last edited by Tolen Oliver on Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tolen Oliver
Beginner
Beginner

Back to top Go down

2 essays for my question Empty Re: 2 essays for my question

Post  adamlowe Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:59 pm

One thing that could be interesting is finding out if it is possibly a violation of the fourth amendment then how are they getting away with doing it. This is a very intriguing topic and I'm sure will have plenty of sources.

adamlowe
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  Tolen Oliver Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:26 pm

Thanks for the advice! I think the reason is because there are different opinions on how to interpret the Fourth Amendment and so some people think it is a violation, but others don't. So once it passes, the people who do believe it is a violation take it to court to have it overturned. But I'll look more into this when we have to edit our papers. Thanks!

Tolen Oliver
Beginner
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Post  OliviaPeterkin Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:44 am

Really like your first question and how it gives the reader room to decide! What made you think of this a s a topic?

OliviaPeterkin
Dirigible Air Captain
Dirigible Air Captain

Back to top Go down

2 essays for my question Empty Amendment

Post  AustinTri Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:02 pm

I agree with the previous comments because a violation of the fourth amendment would be really interesting because its part of our country as a whole and to find what violates it for your topic would be really cool.

AustinTri
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down