English 1000
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Assignments

Go down

Assignments Empty Assignments

Post  captain eric Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:53 pm

This is the thread in which all assignment prompts will be posted.
For your response, please go back to the "Reading Response" area of the forum and use the "New Topic" button to create your post.

For your first assignment, please respond to the following prompt after reading the assigned sections of Ch. 3 in the Academic Writer. Your response should span two paragraphs. Thanks!

Consider the terms "rhetorical situation" and "rhetorical analysis." How would you explain them to a friend?
When you write online do you think you appeal most to pathos, logos, or ethos?

Last edited by captain eric on Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total
captain eric
captain eric
Admin

https://e1000.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Assignments Empty Assn 2

Post  captain eric Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:33 pm

Please write three robust paragraphs on the following:

Imagine a time in your life when you had to discuss a “big issue” with someone else. You may look to the Templeton Site to help you think about the six big issues that they list. These six are:
What’s the relationship between ethics, morality, and reason?
What is the relationship between evolution and human nature?
Government and economic structure
Can God and Science coexist?
What is the usefulness of charity?
Is there a purpose of the universe?

These are big questions, of course, so if a moment comes to mind that doesn’t quite “fit” with any of these topics, that’s okay. I would like you to tell the story of the moment you found yourself discussing a big issue. Preferably, this will be a moment that is memorable because the interaction changed how you perceived the topic.

After telling this story for three or more paragraphs, please spend just a little time identifying your story’s rhetorical situation.

Because I want you to do a good job on this and spend some time thinking about it, I am not going to have you read the website blip that I’d planned to have you read. Spend some time freewriting, and try and tell this story! ^_^
captain eric
captain eric
Admin

Back to top Go down

Assignments Empty Re: Assignments

Post  captain eric Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:19 pm

For your assignment over this long weekend you have two tasks.

First, please provide constructive criticism to your group mates on the big questions post. In one thoughtful paragraph, please offer advice on how your group mate may improve his or her story moment.

Second, please write a three paragraph post in which you 1. Identify the audience or audiences you’d like to write to about your topic and 2. Either outline or free write on how you might persuade this audience as well as how you might organize an essay.
captain eric
captain eric
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  captain eric Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:26 pm

Your watching for next class:
[Only admins are allowed to see this link]
Please be attentive through the first 45 minutes or so.

Prompt for response:
While watching this Q&A, analyze how the politicians use evidence. What do the politicians ask Obama (and what do they leave unsaid)? Consider the tones of different speakers. Consider the use of logos, pathos, and ethos, and find specific examples. You might not be able to identify speakers, but you can use the time that has elapsed to couch your claims.

I will be grading you on specificity and the originality/thoughtfulness of your response. Thanks!
Also, I am not interested in any political opinions. Rather, a critical look at how those opinions are expressed.
captain eric
captain eric
Admin

Back to top Go down

Assignments Empty Prewriting assignment

Post  captain eric Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:05 pm

For this assignment, please find two essays to use as sources for your future paper. These essays should come from the big questions website: templeton.org/signature-programs/big-questions-essay-series

If you have chosen to discuss a question other than the six big questions listed, please find two sources online. (Also, email me or make a time to meet with me if you have chosen this option.)

After choosing your essays/sources, please write three to four paragraphs that quote and analyze your sources. You should consider this a start on writing your paper, though your paragraphs will change as you craft the entire paper for Friday.

Thanks!
captain eric
captain eric
Admin

Back to top Go down

Assignments Empty homework for wednesday

Post  captain eric Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:59 pm

Please go to this website and look through the (primitive) slides.
readwritethink.org/files/resources/interactives/lit-elements/overview/

After or while working through this, please define three elements of fiction

Second, I would like you to visit this web page:
deniserobbins.com/articles_description_in_fiction.html
It's written by a... kind of odd author, but seems very useful to me. Discuss your favorite tip and how it could help you!
captain eric
captain eric
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  captain eric Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:06 pm

Directions:
Read literacy narrative example #1 and consider our discussion of introductions as well as what you think good storytelling is. Critique this example. Does it make a good introduction for a four page paper (assuming this is the first page)? What could be improved upon?
Then, read literacy narrative example #2. How might the author improve his/her use of detail?
Finally, read the key features of a literacy narrative. Bring a printout of this and be prepared to discuss for class.

Literacy Narrative Example #1
English as a Second Language It is a faint memory of mine, but I still remember learning the English alphabet for the first time at Kay’s Montessori, which was a daycare my parents had me attend at the age of five. Up until I started attending Kay’s, I only knew Vietnamese because that was the language my parents taught me as soon as I could speak. My journey to become literate in English began the day I first learned the alphabet at Kay’s. From this point on, I developed my abilities to read and write in English by attending American public schools. Although it was a struggle for me to become literate in English, these challenges motivated me to expand and improve my literacy skills. My kindergarten teacher at Boudreaux Elementary was very influential in advancing my literacy skills. She had a huge collection of basic to advanced-level reading books, and she challenged us by making a competition out of reading these books. Each student could take one book home per day, read it to our parents, and return it once we finished reading the entire book to add a sticker next to our name on the “You’re a Star” board. Since I was a competitive young girl, I was determined to get the most stickers at the end of the year by reading one book per night. Little did I know that my competitive nature would help me quickly advance my reading skills. Looking back on this, I realize that this helped me to become a better reader, and that this was one of the best things that could happen to me in my educational career. Another influence to the development of my current literacy skills was my participation in the English-as-a-Second Language (ESL) and Gifted and Talented (GT) Programs. In kindergarten and first grade, I was pulled out of class an hour each day to focus more on reading and writing in English. My ESL teacher was effective in building my reading and writing skills by assigning me various challenging yet fun activities that helped me to spell, read, write, and…

Literacy Narrative Example #2
The first time I took the ninth-grade proficiency test was in March of eighth grade. The test ultimately determines whether students may receive a high school diploma. After months of preparation and anxiety, the pressure was on. Throughout my elementary and middle school years, I was a strong student, always on the honor roll. I never had a GPA below 3.0. I was smart, and I knew it. That is, until I got the results of the proficiency test.

Although the test was challenging, covering reading, writing, math, and citizenship, I was sure I had passed every part. To my surprise, I did pass every part—except writing. "Writing! Yeah right! How did I manage to fail writing, and by half a point, no less?" I thought to myself in disbelief. Seeing my test results brought tears to my eyes. I honestly could not believe it. To make matters worse, most of my classmates, including some who were barely passing eighth-grade English, passed that part.

Until that time, I loved writing just as much as I loved math. It was one of my strengths. I was good at it, and I enjoyed it. If anything, I thought I might fail citizenship. How could I have screwed up writing? I surely spelled every word correctly, used good grammar, and even used big words in the proper context. How could I have failed?

Finally I got over it and decided it was no big deal. Surely I would pass the next time. In my honors English class I worked diligently, passing with an A. By October I'd be ready to conquer that writing test. Well, guess what? I failed the test again, again with only 4.5 of the 5 points needed to pass. That time I did cry, and even went to my English teacher, Mrs. Brown, and asked, "How can I get A's in all my English classes but fail the writing part of the proficiency test twice?" She couldn't answer my question. Even my friends and classmates were confused. I felt like a failure. I had disappointed my family and seriously let myself down. Worst of all, I still couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong.

I decided to quit trying so hard. Apparently—I told myself—the people grading the tests didn't have the slightest clue about what constituted good writing. I continued to excel in class and passed the test on the third try. But I never again felt the same love of reading and writing.

This experience showed me just how differently my writing could be judged by various readers. Obviously all my English teachers and many others enjoyed or at least appreciated my writing. A poem I wrote was put on television once. I must have been a pretty good writer. Unfortunately the graders of the ninth-grade proficiency test didn't feel the same, and when students fail the test, the state of Ohio doesn't offer any explanation.

After I failed the test the first time, I began to hate writing, and I started to doubt myself. I doubted my ability and the ideas I wrote about. Failing the second time made things worse, so perhaps to protect myself from my doubts, I stopped taking English seriously. Perhaps because of that lack of seriousness, I earned a 2 on the Advanced Placement English Exam, barely passed the twelfth-grade proficiency test, and was placed in developmental writing in college. I wish I knew why I failed that test, because then I might have written what was expected on the second try, maintained my enthusiasm for writing, and continued to do well.

Key Features of Literacy Narratives

A well-told story. As with most narratives, those about literacy often set up some sort of situation that needs to be resolved. That need for resolution makes readers want to keep reading. We want to know whether Nichols ultimately will pass the proficiency test. Some literacy narratives simply explore the role that reading or writing played at some time in someone's life—assuming, perhaps, that learning to read or write is a challenge to be met.

Vivid detail. Details can bring a narrative to life for readers by giving them vivid mental images of the sights, sounds, smells, tastes, and textures of the world in which your story takes place. The details you use when describing something can help readers picture places, people, and events; dialogue can help them hear what is being said. We get a picture of the only treasure Bragg has ever known through the details he provides: "a water-damaged Faulkner," "a paperback with two naked women on the cover," books "wrapped in fake leather." Similarly, we hear a three-yearold's exasperation through his own words: "I'd like to see a menu." Dialogue can help bring a narrative to life.

Some indication of the narrative's significance. By definition, a literacy narrative tells something the writer remembers about learning to read or write. In addition, the writer needs to make clear why the incident matters to him or her. You may reveal its significance in various ways. Nichols does it when she says she no longer loves to read or write. Bragg is more direct when he tells us he would not trade the books for a gold monkey. The trick is to avoid tacking onto the end a statement about your narrative's significance as if it were a kind of moral of the story. Bragg's narrative would have far less power if he'd said, "Thus did my father teach me to value books of all kinds."
captain eric
captain eric
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  captain eric Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:46 pm

Hello Class. For this pre-writing exercise, I’d like you to write three paragraphs.
First, please write one paragraph that gives a short overview of the entire story you’re planning on writing. Please include when and where this takes place.

Second, please write a one paragraph introduction in which you have your first attempt at writing the beginning of your literacy story.

Third, please write one paragraph in which you describe the personal importance of your literacy story and why you feel your literacy story might be interesting or important to others.
captain eric
captain eric
Admin

Back to top Go down

Assignments Empty Assignment: Gee

Post  captain eric Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:35 pm

Please read:
Gee’s “What is Literacy”
ed.psu.edu/englishpds/Articles/CriticalLiteracy/What%20is%20Literacy.htm
(Or, you can use google to find "What is Literacy" by James Paul Gee.)

Please respond to each of the following:
1. Summarize Gee's definition of literacy. Use his terminology to illustrate his definition.

2. Did this change your understanding of literacy? If so, how? And, how might this affect your understanding of your own literacy story?
captain eric
captain eric
Admin

Back to top Go down

Assignments Empty Ong

Post  captain eric Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:34 pm

Please read:
Ong's Paper
Read part I (part one) and II.

For this reading response, assess, from the beginning of Ong's writing, what his overall argument is. Find to relevant quotes that help identify his argument in your response.
ric.edu/faculty/rpotter/temp/ong.pdf
captain eric
captain eric
Admin

Back to top Go down

Assignments Empty Prewriting assignment

Post  captain eric Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:57 am

For this prewriting exercise, I would like you to
1. collect 5 quotes from either Gee or Ong that most appealing to you or that best represent an argument. Please paste or write these here.
2. I'd like you to consider why literacy might matter to you. If you're having trouble seeing how literacy would matter at all, consider the field you hope to enter, your literacy story, or your acquisition of literacy as a child. You may also consider societal factors - what does literacy do for a society or its people? This should be composed as a paragraph.
3. I would like you to write a rough draft of an introductory paragraph. This should be a real go at an introduction complete with a thesis statement. Consider your audience for this piece your classmates and your instructor.
captain eric
captain eric
Admin

Back to top Go down

Assignments Empty For Monday!

Post  captain eric Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:56 pm

blog.lib.umn.edu/blogosphere/blogging_as_social_action_a_genre_analysis_of_the_weblog.html

This is your reading material, due Monday. Stop at “Semantic content or substance”

For a post response:
Define Kairos (you may have to do some searching).

Based on this reading, what do you see as modern concerns with the weblog? Do you agree? What are your concerns?

And, what is the importance of voyeurism to how we understand writing or reading?
captain eric
captain eric
Admin

Back to top Go down

Assignments Empty Prendergast Introduction

Post  captain eric Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:41 pm

Attached to this post is the pdf introduction.

I'd actually like to give you guys a choice as to what chapter you want to read next. So, for your response, I'd like you to first ell me which chapter sounds most interesting to you and why. Second, please summarize the argument she's preparing for her book and discuss what you think of it, and how you think her argument could affect the nation.

Thanks!
Attachments
Assignments Attachment
Prendergast - Introduction.pdf You don't have permission to download attachments.(6.2 Mb) Downloaded 29 times
captain eric
captain eric
Admin

Back to top Go down

Assignments Empty Prendergast Ch4

Post  captain eric Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:35 pm

Please read Prendergasts Ch4.

For your reading response, please write two questions that you would like to discuss in class. Be specific, detailed, and your own. I will try and create a short list before class.

Also, do you agree or disagree with her arguments? Why? And which arguments to you find the most useful or problematic?
Attachments
Assignments Attachment
ch4.pdf You don't have permission to download attachments.(3.2 Mb) Downloaded 21 times
captain eric
captain eric
Admin

Back to top Go down

Assignments Empty Ch. 6 Academic Writer

Post  captain eric Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:07 am

Please download the pdf at seyrix.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/ch-6-academic-wrter.pdf

Please read chapter 6 of the Academic Writer.

For your reading response, please brainstorm three questions, no matter how strange, that you would like to explore through academic research. Come to class prepared to discuss Ch. 6 and to expand upon your brainstorming.
captain eric
captain eric
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  captain eric Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:22 am

For your assignment please refine three questions that you would consider answering in an academic research paper. For each question, format two MLA citations. If you need a resource to help you cite MLA, please visit owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/747/01/

I suggest against using online formatting programs besides professional ones such as Zotero to format your citations. Even in these cases, it is good to double check a citation.
captain eric
captain eric
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  captain eric Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:40 pm

Please read Academic Writer Chapter Seven.

seyrix.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/ch-7.pdf

For next class, I would like you to choose one of your questions to interrogate. Next, please write two paragraphs summarizing the arguments of two essays that are relevant to your question.

Thanks!
--------------
For our first post-break class,

Please write 1.5 pages of analysis on three sources. This will be considered a prewriting post. 
--------------
3. The paper Prompt:
You will be writing a research paper for your final paper in my class. 
As is becoming usual, I would like the paper to be at least four full pages in length.
Use Times New Roman 12pt font, double spaced, with one inch margins.
Have a header, class info, and a works cited page.
For this paper, you will be reviewing research done on a topic of your choice. I ask that you produce a refined research question to lead your research. This question should be a part of your introduction. Based on your research question, you will find at least three critical sources within a field. In your research paper you should be able to outline:
1. The arguments and/or findings of the authors
2. The methodology the authors use
3. Your own assessment of the rigor or accuracy of the author's arguments or methods
4. An understanding of what the generally accepted academic answer to your research question is (if such an answer seems to have been agreed upon).
Your audience will be your peers and me. You may want to explain some terminology, but assume your audience is compitent and intelligent (and has google/wikipedia).
captain eric
captain eric
Admin

Back to top Go down

Assignments Empty Final Prewrite

Post  captain eric Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:35 pm

Hello students! For your last forum post save the final, please write a plan that you may use for your final project. This should be two paragraphs in length. Post links to other online sources you’re considering using.
captain eric
captain eric
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum