English 1000
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prewriting Assignment

Go down

Prewriting Assignment Empty Prewriting Assignment

Post  Caitlinmnell Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:10 pm

Caitlin Nell
English 1000

Pre Writing
The track meet I was participating in began like any other. My team and I all the walked from the bus to the bleachers where we would be for the next 6 hours or so. Setting up our spot was more of a routine by then. Claim a spot, put your stuff down, set up the tent, and then sit until it was your turn for an event. It was still early in the season so the weather wasn’t ideal. Maybe it’s just me, but when it is cold, the last thing I want to do is trip over a hurdle. Not that I have ever tripped or ran into one, it just sounds better for it to happen when it’s nice outside. I successfully ran the 80 meter hurdles the year before, so I was confident in my ability to run the 100 meter hurdles that day. The only thing that made me nervous was that my coach was almost as unpredictable as a curve ball. She liked to place me in events at the last minute and I had a feeling she would do that for this meet.

After seeing my name on the list to run the 300 meter hurdles, my heart sank. I wasn’t prepared for that. Coach had me practice the run a few times during practice, and each time I couldn’t complete it. It made me feel better that no one else on my team could do it either. 300 meter hurdles was explained to be one of the hardest events to run. It is a combination of sprinting and jumping. During practice I would almost have to climb over the last hurdle. Immediately I went over to try and beg my coach to take me out of the event. “I won’t represent our school well in this event. Get another person to do it. It’s going to be so embarrassing when I’m the only one who can’t cross the finish line,” I said to her. Despite my plea she responded with, “Caitlin, you never fail to meet our expectations. I wouldn’t put you in something if I wasn’t confident that you could do it. You are an excellent runner and can do this. I am not taking you out of the race.” I walked away from her nervous as can be and began to warm up.
After trying to think of an escape route out of this disaster, I gave up. There was no way out of it. I walked with my head down to the starting line knowing that in about one minute I was probably going to be the laughing stock of the school. I got into my starting position. The starter began the countdown. “On your marks.” My heart started beating faster, and louder. The anticipation for that gun to go off was making my palms sweat, my knees shake, and my mind go crazy. “Get set.” This is it, as soon as everyone is still, that gun is going to go off. Instantly I came up with what seemed to be a great idea at the time. Before even thinking I jumped the line. This is an instant disqualification and you don’t really get in trouble for it. I felt a sigh of relief. I thought to myself, “why did it take me so long to even think..” “Ma’am, I know you’re nervous,” the starter interrupted the mini celebration I was having in my head, “it happens to a lot of kids. I don’t normally do this, but I’ll give you another chance.” I quickly responded that it was okay, it’s not fair to the others. “Just get back on the line and we will try it again,” he continued. Now I knew there was absolutely no way out of this. I had to do it.

It was cold out. There was a surprisingly large amount of people there. The air smelt nice. It was very crisp. It hurt to breathe though after running. Sound of the gun was always alarming. It was sunny outside. Lots of conversations going on around me. Lots of different things happening.

Caitlinmnell
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum