English 1000
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Response Chapter 3

Go down

Response Chapter 3 Empty Response Chapter 3

Post  Lmudd Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:09 pm

Every writer has a motive to write something such as to persuade someone or just inform someone about a particular topic. In rhetorical situation you are asking yourself the questions such as, "Why am I writing this?" or "What do you want the reader to think when they are reading this?" There are four parts to rhetorical situation starting with the writer. They would be asking themselves what I really want to do with my writing such as being funny of informational. Then you have the reader. You would be asking yourself who is going to be my audience for my paper or how will they react. Third is the Text. You would be asking yourself what really needs to go into my paper. You could include straight facts or it could just be opinions. Last is the Medium. You could be asking yourself how I want to display my work.

When I write online I think I am mostly Ethos because I like to hear other people's opinion on what I have to say. That goes for when I am reading something online. Sometimes I like to give my feedback so they know what the audience is thinking. I like to hear the truth when I am posting something online that is my opinion.

Lmudd
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Response Chapter 3 Empty Re: Response Chapter 3

Post  Lmudd Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:41 pm

Kairos- A propitious moment for a decision or action.

As a modern concern that I see is that anyone can see what you post. Sometimes people can misinterpret other people's opinions on different views about things. Yes I agree. My concerns are that something could get out of hand or even. Even if you think it is safe it really isn't.

The importance of voyeurism to how we understand writing or reading is that people want to know more and more about other people's person lives. Trying to understand what is like to be another person plays a role in this. Also wanting know things we aren't supposed to know is a part of voyeurism.

1. When blogging, do the bloggers want a lot of people to see it or only a few?
2. What is the real purpose of a blog?
3. Why do people always want to TROLL on reality TV shows?

Lmudd
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Response Chapter 3 Empty Pre writing assignment #1

Post  Lmudd Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:38 am

The comic I chose to write about is called "Douche". It is making a funny reference to Pokemon is the early games when you could make up your rival's name. At the beginning of the comic Professor Oak is explaining how his grandson has been your rival since you were babies. Then Professor Oak says "...Erm, what was his name now?" while your rival has this concerned look on his face. The next panel is shower how you can create your rivals name. Then Professor oak says, "That's right! I remember now! His name is Douche!" While your rival is giving you a dirty look while the main character has a grin on his face.

An ideal audience for this comic would be older high school students and college students who play Pokemon. Considering of the language and the how old the Pokemon game is. The language is for older people, younger kids would probably not understand the joke. Also the game was released in 1996 so most of the younger kids weren't even alive to play the original Pokemon games.

The audience for my comic are communicating on how they relate to this comic. Most of them are commenting about what they named their rival when they played Pokemon. Most of them having to do with the word ass. Some of them are just completely random such as Jim. They also communicate by giving each other's opinion about the names hey have given their rival's. They seem to value each other's opinion when they have a funny name they gave their rival.

My web-comic works with the audience by relating to them. Most people that play Pokemon can relate to this comic because they usually gave their rival a name with the word ass in it. Most everyone on the forum named their rival with a bad name. Most people on the Forum were asking how do you forget your grandsons name. They were all poking and making jokes about the game because you got to choose what his name was in the game.

Lmudd
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Response Chapter 3 Empty What is Literacy?

Post  Lmudd Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:46 am

1. James Gee first breaks down the definition by using discourse to get a better understanding of what literacy really is. Gee defines discourse as the way he was taught how to think, act, and speak like linguist which identify social groups. Gee defines literacy as a second use of language. He says it can be broken down into two parts, powerful literacy and dominant literacy.

2. Yes it changed my understanding of literacy. At first I thought it was pretty easy then I read this and it was more complex then I though. Gee explains there are two types of literacy that breaks it down even more. It will make me put more meaning into things I write.

Lmudd
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Response Chapter 3 Empty Ong's part 1 The written Word

Post  Lmudd Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:50 am

The general argument found in Ong's "The Written Word" is that "Literacy is imperious. It tends to arrogate to itself supreme power by taking itself as a normative for human expression and thought." Also Ong states that "Literacy is an always to be expected and even natural state of affairs." He starts to explain the term "illiterate" by saying something someone lacks, namely literacy. Ong also states that "Illiterates should learn writing as they learned to tie their shoe-laces or to drive a car." He is trying to get the point across that you should learn literacy rather then already having it.

Lmudd
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Response Chapter 3 Empty Literacy Story

Post  Lmudd Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:31 pm

The tunnel was cold and filled with people. The wrestlers and their coaches were waiting their turn for the state final matches. All the wrestlers were bouncing around trying to stay warm before their match. I was listening to my favorite music getting my self pumped up before my last high school wrestling match. My weight was up next, 145 pounds. As I stood at the gait waiting to run out the tunnel, my coaches gave me a high-five. I could tell by the look on their faces that they were more nervous then I was.

As the gates opened we ran out the mats. All the lights were out and there was a spotlight on me. As I looked out to the crowd I thought to myself, "This is my last shot to win a state title!" Before I knew it the match was starting. During the match I kept positive thoughts. I relied on my training that I did throughout the whole year. "All of this hard work is being put into this one moment" I thought to myself. My coaches kept yelling "Good Job!" I knew they were just trying to keep confidence up so I could win the state finals.

As I looked up at the clock the score was five to nothing. I had a good lead and all I had to do was let the time run out. We got into a good scramble and I kept telling myself to stay in good position and don't let him escape from the bottom. All I needed to do was ride him out for the rest of the time. I herd the giant crowd from my school start counting down. 5...4...3...2...1... The whistle blew and I jumped up with excitement. "I did it! I finally did it!" was just running through my head. As I get my hand raised I pointed to the section my school was sitting. They were going insane because I have finally won.

After I get my hand raised I jumped into my coaches arms with excitement rushing though my body. I kept telling him, "I did it coach!" I have never seen a smile that big on his face before. As I ran back into the tunnel I was ambushed by news reporters asking me questions. I felt thrilled as they kept asking me questions. After that I ran up into the stands to try to find my parents to give them a hug. Even though I smelled terrible and covered with sweat my friends and family gave me all the cheering support. I made my way down to the medal stand to receive the gold medal. As they called my name I walked out onto the podium. They handed me my bracket and my medal. They took a picture with a really bright flash. I got one more good look at the crowd before I took a step down from the podium. I walked away with a big smile and knowing that I ended my high school wrestling career with a win.

Lmudd
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Response Chapter 3 Empty Hills Like White Elephants

Post  Lmudd Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:09 pm

"It taste like licorice," "That's the way with everything." "Everything taste of licorice. Especially all the things you've waited so long for."

I chose this quote because it stuck out to me when I was reading the story. It made me think about what was going to happen in the story and what kind of character he is in the story. They were talking about a drink that tasted like licorice in the story.

Lmudd
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Response Chapter 3 Empty Article/Book dealing with Literary Paper

Post  Lmudd Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:45 pm

The Article that I chose attempts to accomplish is to make you understand the sport of wrestling. The article goes through all the aspects of the sport from weight classes to positions in wrestling. The article tries to make you understand the sport of wrestling as easy as possible breaking everything down. This article would help a lot for someone who do not know a lot about wrestling. At first it starts out with the beginning positions for wrestlers. Then it explains what some of the terms mean such as breakdown and take-down mean.

The use value it has on my paper is it will help explain some terms someone might not understand. For example I use a lot of wrestling terms when I am telling the part of the story during my state finals match. I use the term starting in the down position or starting on the top position. This article would help explain what this means so you would really know what is going on in the paper. Knowing the terms about wrestling would help understanding my paper more and making it more enjoyable.

Lmudd
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Response Chapter 3 Empty Bibliography

Post  Lmudd Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:54 pm

Bibliography
1) Walden, Kat. "How Do Sharks Catch Prey?" Animals. Demand Media, n.d. Web. 14 Nov. 2014. <http://animals.pawnation.com/sharks-catch-prey-7470.html>.

2) Howell, Elizabeth. "Super Sense: How Sharks Hunt Down Prey." Discovery News. Live Science, 2 Apr. 2014. Web. 14 Nov. 2014. <http%3A%2F%2Fnews.discovery.com%2Fanimals%2Fsharks%2Fsuper-senses-how-sharks-hunt-down-prey-140402.htm>.

3) Rimer, Sara. "Scientists Amazed by How Sharks Use Senses to Hunt - Futurity." Futurity. Boston University, 2 Apr. 2014. Web. 14 Nov. 2014. <http://www.futurity.org/scientists-amazed-sharks-use-senses-hunt/>.

4) Cell Press. "Sharks can really sniff out their prey, and this is how they do it." ScienceDaily. ScienceDaily, 10 June 2010. <www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/06/100610125617.htm>.

5) Harris, Tom. "How Sharks Work" 30 March 2001. HowStuffWorks.com. <http://animals.howstuffworks.com/fish/sharks/shark.htm> 14 November 2014

6) . Makeska, Marija. "Sharks Hunt by Combining Their Senses." Guardian Liberty Voice. N.p., 3 Apr. 2014. Web. 14 Nov. 2014. <http://guardianlv.com/2014/04/sharks-hunt-by-combining-their-senses/>.

7) "HABITAT, HUNT & FOOD." Sharkproject. N.p., 2010. Web. 14 Nov. 2014. <http://www.sharkproject.org/haiothek/index_e.php?site=verhalten_6>.

Lmudd
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Response Chapter 3 Empty Outline

Post  Lmudd Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:55 pm

What is the process of a shark hunting and killing its prey?
1) Intro
a. Statement on the senses sharks use to hunt
b. Past research on how they hunted
c. Thesis
2) 1st body paragraph
a. Different methods of hunting in species of sharks
b. Hunting strategies for sharks
i. Filter feeders
ii. Ground hunters
iii. Hidden hunters
iv. Circling
c. Environment