English 1000
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Response - Amelia Toomey

Go down

Response - Amelia Toomey Empty Response - Amelia Toomey

Post  atoomey3 Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:03 pm

The basic explanation of a rhetorical analysis from my understanding is the breakdown and analysis of a non-fiction piece of literature. Basically it is the writer’s thoughts of how the piece flows and fits together. It can be related to a movie critique in the way that it is an analysis of a piece of work from an individuals point of the.

I would argue from the point of logos for the fact that I feel it would be the hardest to argue against. Logos eliminates the emotional portion of an argument which I feel frequently clouds a viewpoint. Logos is also a very factual way to express a point of view, which can help avoid feelings being hurt in a touchy situation. Coming from a scientific nature I feel it is always best to leave emotions out of an argument and stick to things that are not based on opinion. Opinion is what makes things arguable, if you remove that from the equation you stand a much better chance at not having to defend your viewpoint.

atoomey3
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Response - Amelia Toomey Empty Response 2

Post  atoomey3 Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:40 am

Kairos can be defined as a propitious moment for decision or action.

A modern concern for weblogs is privacy. The major concern I have is that anything that goes on the internet is no longer private. Even if you feel you have set your restrictions on who can view you blog, you are still posting it and therefore there will always be people you don't want to see it who can. I feel each individual person is responsible for their actions online and must take the necessary steps to protect the things they what kept private. Basically if it is very important that this information be kept private, don't post it on the web.

Voyeurism is the feeling of wanting to look into others lives and personal business. It greatly sways how we read and write in the modern area. there are entire magazines that appeal only to this want to see into the lives of others Ie: the enquirer. Humans have a natural tendency toward curiosity and I feel looking into the lives of others allows us to compare ourselves to the and see how we measure up.

1. What is the overall theme of the article?
2. What background does the author have in this area?
3. Further explanation of Kairos.

atoomey3
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Response - Amelia Toomey Empty Response 3

Post  atoomey3 Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:28 pm

Politicians use evidence to back their beliefs and platforms. The entire goal of the politicians speaking is to persuade the public to get behind them and their party, and the way todo that is to prove themselves right or better over their opponents. In this video you see politicians stratigicly wording their questions and answers to make or defend their point. they word or leave things out to better their opinion. The politicians frequently use logos with statical facts to back their points but possibly more common is the use of pathos to attempt to steal the hearts of the public in the politicians attempt to make you swoon.

atoomey3
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Response - Amelia Toomey Empty Response 4

Post  atoomey3 Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:13 pm

(NOT EXACTLY SURE WHAT IS MEANT BY THE PROMPT FOR PART ONE)
The web blog I have chosen is one from caringbridge.com. This is a website that provides a place for parents or families of ailing individuals to communicate and update friends and loved ones about the condition of the ill person. The specific blog I choose is written by Jennifer the mother of a young boy with cancer who's name is Alex. The purpose of the blog is to update on the condition of the ailing individual and provide a place of support and love for the individual and their family. The blog consists of the posts the author writes about the individual called the journal, and the responses to these posts, There is also a section for general messages of support called the guest book, a section for pictures, a planner of events centered around the individual, and a place for tributes in the individuals name.
I feel the ideal audience for this blog would be the loved ones, friends, family, fellow fighting individuals, and care providers of the sick individual. The people who will go to this blog are those who care to check up on Alex and his family. The readers often are others fighting the same condition looking for support or looking to provide it through stories of their personal success.
The readers often personally know and care for the author of the blog. Because of the natural closeness of the group the posts are often very personal. The blog is basically a look into the life that you never want to have. It is every parents worst nightmare, which in many cases makes its relatable and highly supportable. Above all else the readers seem value hope and community. The main point you see in almost all responses to posts and logs in the guest book is that the ailing family is not alone and that they cannot loose hope. These blogs greatly affect the lives of the author and the readers. This is a place to get and receive hope for all involved. Unfortunately it can also be devastating for a family fighting the same disease to see someone else in the same predicament loose.
(AGAIN NOT SURE WHAT IS MEANT BY PROMPT) I feel the blog works with its audience in the way that it provides a place to become informed and provide hope for a family that truly needs it. It is also a place for others to turn who are in the same hard place and need some guidance or a look into where they may be headed and how others have dealt with these same feats. The love and support on this blog is an incredible thing to experience and provides an astronomical amount of support for all involved.

atoomey3
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Response - Amelia Toomey Empty Response 5

Post  atoomey3 Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:11 pm

1.) I feel he when he defines literacy he accepts that there is not one definitive definition for the term. He includes the use of language in secondary discourses. His definition even goes into types of literacy such as dominant and powerful literacy.

2.) I do not feel this article has changed the way I look at literacy. Therefore it does not greatly effect the way I look at my literacy story. I feel after our in class discussion I will better be able to delve into the possibility in a change in my story. I do not currently comprehend the content of the article to the extent I feel would be needed to make a valid impact on how I view literacy. (WILL MOST LIKELY ADD ANOTHER POST TO THIS QUESTION AT A LATER TIME)

atoomey3
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Response - Amelia Toomey Empty Response 6

Post  atoomey3 Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:06 am

I feel that he is arguing there is a social class or barrier set by those who are literate to exclude those who are not or make them feel belittled.

Quotes
The term 'illiterate' itself suggests that persons belonging to the class it designates are deviants

Moreover, in high-technology cultures-which, more and more, are setting the style for cultures across the world- since literacy is regarded as so unquestionably normative and nor- mal, the deviancy of illiterates tends to be thought of as lack of a simple mechanical skill

atoomey3
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Response - Amelia Toomey Empty Response 7

Post  atoomey3 Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:59 pm

I walk into the gym to find Ryan setting up the acute coordination-training course for the five and under age group. He yells to me “ Grab the steam roller out of the sensory room.” On my stroll to the room I was in thought about how it might feel to go through the seam roller mats and how that would help the kids focus on the task at hand. I walk in pick up the two cylindrical mats and take them to Ryan as the first kids begin to arrive through the large class doors.

There were not many conversations as the main character was non verbal. Most of my interal thoughts I had centered around the activities of the evening and how to care for tim.
One thought train I had was
"first well goto the fish game, as tim hates it, but it must get done.
then we'll got to basketball as it is his favorite.
Then well go back to a less favorite.
at some point he'll need a sensory break.'

Again all these thought are basically to care for him as that is what we do in the story. Though Tim and I did communicate in other ways that to me felt like entire conversations., I could always see in his eyes what he wanted or needed. I received infrequent pointing gestures to imply a want, but that was as formal as our communication reached.

I could hear the sounds of basketballs
hear the sound of a child breaking down, who badly needed a sensory break.
I could feel tim small hand pulling my in a direction of interest.
I could hear ryan attempting to direct over the loud gym.
I could hear other teachers asking the standard "so how was your weekend" questions.

atoomey3
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Response - Amelia Toomey Empty Response 8

Post  atoomey3 Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:02 pm

"I love you now, you know I love you." was one of my favorite lives because it is where I feel he finally expresses his feelings toward the woman. Giving them some sort of relation.

I enjoy his writing style some as it leaves me wanting more in a lot of ways. But as there is not more, this can also be a downside.

atoomey3
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Response - Amelia Toomey Empty Response 10

Post  atoomey3 Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:49 am

Works Cited
Gurney, James. "Social Outcomes in the Childhood Cancer Survivor Study Cohort." Journal of Clinical Oncology. 7 Feb. 2009. Web. 13 Nov. 2014.
Kazak, Anne. "Psychological Outcomes and Health Beliefs in Adolescent and Young Adult Survivors of Childhood Cancer and Controls." Journal of Clinical Oncology. 15 Mar. 2010. Web. 13 Nov. 2014.
Dietz, Andrew. "Life Beyond The Disease: Relationships, Parenting, And Quality Of Life Among Survivors Of Childhood Cancer." Haematologica. 19 June 2010. Web. 13 Nov. 2014.
Parsons, Helen. "Impact of Cancer on Work and Education Among Adolescent and Young Adult Cancer Survivors." Journal of Clinical Oncology. 10 Nov. 2014. Web. 13 Nov. 2014.
Brinkman, Tara. "Parent-Reported Social Outcomes After Treatment for Pediatric Embryonal Tumors: A Prospective Longitudinal Study." Journal of Clinical Oncology. 15 Oct. 2012. Web. 13 Nov. 2014.
Bonner MJ, Hardy KK, Willard VW, et al. (2008) Social functioning and facial expression recognition in survivors of pediatric brain tumors. J Pediatr Psychol 33:1142–1152.
Schultz KA, Ness KK, Whitton J, et al. (2007) Behavioral and social outcomes in adolescent survivors of childhood cancer: A report from the childhood cancer survivor study. J Clin Oncol 25:3649–3656.

atoomey3
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Response - Amelia Toomey Empty Response 11 - Outline

Post  atoomey3 Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:59 pm

Amelia Toomey
Outline

What effect does childhood cancer have on the social development of patients?

1. Introduction
a. Opening supporting details for topic
i. Basic statements on past research
b. Thesis
i. Patients with childhood cancer often experience social developmental delays and deficits not only in early development but also throughout the full developmental life cycle.
c. Transition sentence
2. First Body
a. What is different in the childhood of a ped onc patient.
i. Aspects of daily living (hospitalization)
ii. More dependence on parental figures
iii. Missing school
iv. Special education
v. Siblings
vi. Mortality
vii. Family Life (guiltiness) (familial stresses)
b. Transitioning that these differences lead to the following deficits
3. Second Body
a. How these differences effect Friendships, Relationships and Marriage
i. Difficulty relating to peers
ii. Difficulty maintaining friendships and relationships
iii. Marital relations
4. Third Body
a. How these differences effects school
i. Lower grades
ii. Academic delay
iii. Continued education
iv. Behavioral concerns
5. Fourth Body
a. Employment
i. Higher unemployment rates
1. Also compared to siblings
ii. Some rejected due to medical history
1. Health insurance
iii. Due to lower levels of college grads less employment
6. Sixth Body
a. How varying types of cancer effect results
i. Some types of cancers cause more serious deficits
ii. What plays into some cancers leading to more severe deficits?
1. Brain Cancer
a. Specific limitations
b. Intellectual disabilities
c. Dependents for life- Surgeries
iii. Physical impairments with some cancers (rotoplasty)
1. Physical deficits limit some job opportunities
7. Conclusion
a. Concluding results of research
i. The results show developmental delays in Ped onc patients
ii. Not everyone fits into research numbers
iii. Interventions taken to prevent deficits
1. Child Life
2. Tutoring in hospitals
3. Special Education
4. Scholarships
iv. The goal of this research is to improve Dev. Outcomes and with it improve the quality of life for patients and survivors.

atoomey3
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Response - Amelia Toomey Empty Re: Response - Amelia Toomey

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down