English 1000
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gee’s “What is Literacy”

Go down

Gee’s “What is Literacy” Empty Gee’s “What is Literacy”

Post  yufan qiu Thu May 16, 2013 3:06 am

Gee’s “What is Literacy”
1.He uses the word as a count term (“a discourse, “”discourses, “many discourses”) to illustrate literacy. "a socially accepted association among ways of using language, of thinking, and of acting that can be used to identify oneself as a member of a socially meaningful group or a social network.".He uses an example to illustrate more. "being “trained” as a linguist meant that I learned to speak, think, and act like a linguist and to recognize others when they do so."It is a way that people learn how to live in this society, for example, how to build their own mind, how to read others, how to understand others, how to communicate. Literacy is a way people learn how to write, how to read, how to speak.
2.No. It did not change me. I understand what Gee’s literacy mean and have the same opinion with him. He uses more specifical examples to illustrate literacy which let me have a deep understand of literacy.

yufan qiu
Goose
Goose

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum