English 1000
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prewriting for my research paper

2 posters

Go down

Prewriting for my research paper Empty Prewriting for my research paper

Post  Minsoo Soh Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:20 am

Prewriting 1

Does the United States still need to reinstate compulsory conscription?

According to Wikipedia, Compulsory conscription in the United States has been employed several times, usually during war but also during the nominal peace of the Cold War. The United States discontinued the draft in 1973, moving to an all-volunteer military force, thus there is currently no mandatory conscription in effect. However, the Selective Service System remains in place as a contingency; men between the ages of 18 and 25 are required to register so that a draft can be readily resumed if needed. In current conditions conscription is considered unlikely by most political and military experts.
During World War II, as Germany conquered France, Americans supported the return of conscription. One national survey found that 67% of respondents believed that a German-Italian victory would endanger the United States, and that 71% supported "the immediate adoption of compulsory military training for all young men". Similarly, a November 1942 survey of American high-school students found that 69% favored compulsory postwar military training.
The World War I system served as a model for that of World War II. The 1940 STSA instituted national conscription in peacetime, requiring registration of all men between 21 and 45, with selection for one year's service by a national lottery. The term of service was extended by one year in August 1941. After Pearl Harbor the STSA was further amended (December 19, 1941), extending the term of service to the duration of the war and six months and requiring the registration of all men 18 to 64 years of age. In the massive draft of World War II, 50 million men from 18 to 45 were registered, 36 million classified, and 10 million inducted.
Conscription is controversial because of conscientious objection to service or because of political objection to service for a disliked government or an unpopular war, and because it violates individual rights. Those conscripted may evade service, sometimes by leaving the country. Some selection systems accommodate these attitudes by providing alternative serviceoutside combat-operations roles or even outside the military, such as Zivildienst (civil service) in Austria and Switzerland. Most post-Soviet countries conscript soldiers not only for Armed Forces but also for paramilitary organizations which are dedicated to police-like domestic only service (Internal Troops) or non-combat rescue duties (Civil Defence Troops) - none of which is considered alternative to the military conscription.

Prewriting 2

MLA Format Citation page

"Conscription in the United States." Wikipedia. (2011): n. page. Web. 22 Apr. 2013. <http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Conscription_in_the_United_States&action=history>.

"Draft Registration, Draft Resistance, the Military Draft, and the Medical Draft." WAR RESISTERS LEAGUE. (March, 2009): n. page. Web. 22 Apr. 2013. <http://hasbrouck.org/draft/>.

Gorden, Jon. "Do you favor reinstating the draft?." Minnesota Public Radio . (2012): n. page. Web. 22 Apr. 2013. <http://minnesota.publicradio.org/collections/special/columns/todays-question/archive/2012/07/do-you-favor-reinstating-the-draft.shtml>.

E. Ricks, Thomas. "Let’s Draft Our Kids." New York Times. (2012): n. page. Web. 22 Apr. 2013. <http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/10/opinion/lets-draft-our-kids.html?_r=0>.

Jehn, Christopher. "Conscription." LIBRARY of ECONOMICS and LIBERTY . (2012): n. page. Web. 22 Apr. 2013. <http://www.econlib.org/library/Enc/Conscription.html>

1st Citation: There is a general history about the issue. I would use this history in my instruction paragraph. I might use a happening in World War II

2nd Citation: It is helpful for me to know general history of Compulsory Conscription in the United States.

3rd Citation: It would be good look what American people think of this issue. I could combine my ideas with these people’s idea to expand my argumentation.

4th Citation: It would be good sources to use on my conclusion. It kinda addresses the solutions to my issue.

5th Citation: It would be useful to use this person's analysis to support what Americans' opposition is.

Last edited by Minsoo Soh on Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Minsoo Soh
Goose
Goose

Back to top Go down

Prewriting for my research paper Empty Change my research question.

Post  Minsoo Soh Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:12 pm

I think I should change my research question because it could be answered with yes or no.

My new research question is:

What are the effects of compulsory conscription in South Korea?

I might use some of original resources that I got from MU library and Google, however I need to find new additional resources in order to write about my new research question.

On my last prewriting 2, there is a confusion on the prompt because we hadn't appropriately learned about what Citation MLA format is before today's class.

I thought the prompt was talking about creating citation page, not quotations. Now, I know what it is. So I will rewrite soon after I find new resources.

Minsoo Soh
Goose
Goose

Back to top Go down

Prewriting for my research paper Empty Re: Prewriting for my research paper

Post  Jiahong Guan Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:35 pm

I only know a little about the men in their specific ages need to serve in the army but I do not know why...I remembered I have seen a MV about girls generation's performance in the place where lots of people served for the army. It was fantastic^^Hope to see your final paper.

Jiahong Guan
Goose
Goose

Back to top Go down

Prewriting for my research paper Empty Re: Prewriting for my research paper

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down