English 1000
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

response of Gee’s “What is Literacy”_ JIAWEN LIU

Go down

response of Gee’s “What is Literacy”_ JIAWEN LIU Empty response of Gee’s “What is Literacy”_ JIAWEN LIU

Post  jlkdb Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:32 pm

Literacy is control of secondary use of language (i.e., uses of language in secondary discourses)
Thus there re as many applications of the word “literacy” as these are secondary discourses, which is many.
Dominant literacy is control of a secondary use of language used in what I called above a “dominant discourse”
Powerful literacy is control as a secondary use of language used in a secondary discourse that can serve as a meta-discourse to critique the primary discourse of other secondary discourses, including dominant discourses.

After reading the article, I had a clearer cognition of literacy, which is that literacy is not only an abstract meaning of the ability of reading and writing, but also an application in diverse area. Gee used more specific, powerful description in order to illustrate to readers. He also used ‘discourse’ to help him demonstrate his theory about literacy.

jlkdb
Beginner
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum