English 1000
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Obama OBAMA OBAMA

Go down

Obama OBAMA OBAMA Empty Obama OBAMA OBAMA

Post  Shuaiqi Chen Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:30 pm

While watching this Q&A, analyze how the politicians use evidence. What do the politicians ask Obama (and what do they leave unsaid)? Consider the tones of different speakers. Consider the use of logos, pathos, and ethos, and find specific examples.

What do the politicians ask Obama(and what do they leave unsaid)?

As i watching throughout the video, i found out that the most of political speakers were asking President Obama about the economic question such as job loss, health care and energy. They always give a little speech that explains the background of the problem or lists sort of data of actions that Obama took before and the consequence of the actions brought to their states, or gives examples of problem before they mention their question. Some of them also tells President Obama what their suggestion and ideas about how to solve the problem. Overall, they all disagree the political policies that President Obama published and they with President Obama could change the policies in such a way which benefits them most. I am really sorry that i can not tell what do they leave unsaid because i am really not a big fan of politics, and frankly i do not really understand what they said about politics, economics and sort of things.

Consider the tones of different speakers.

Obviously those political speakers use various tones when they ask question. I remember that the first speakers gave a little story of little David before he started to ask question. It seems like he tries to get other audiences emotion in order to make them focus on his particular question. And it does work because it actually gets President Obama's attention. President Obama responses him that he appreciate him passing on the letter then answer his question. The most impressive speaker, as far i am concerned, is the one from Utah. He first shows respect to President Obama that he is glad Obama can come here, then he lists many policies that President Obama have promised to do but actually didn't, and he says he is disappointed. He speeds up his speaking as more question he listed. He barely cloaks his anger and disagreement. He even does not want to stop talking until President Obama interrupts his.

Consider the use of logos, pathos, and ethos, and find specific examples.

Mostly, speakers use logos as a tool to express their question by analyzing data, giving a example and explaining the situation in their states. There are lots of example of logos. The first speakers lists some statistics like "unemployment was 7.5 percent in this country". The Wisconsin guy lists the increasing percentage of spending bills on domestic and discretionary. And there are too many example of logos. About pathos, as i mentioned before, the first speaker tells a story about little David. That exactly is a example of pathos.

Shuaiqi Chen
Beginner
Beginner

Back to top Go down