English 1000
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ch. 3 Response

Go down

Ch. 3 Response Empty Ch. 3 Response

Post  sweetsarae Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:42 am

If I were to explain what a rhetorical situation is, I would say that it is how the writer decides to communicate with the reader. The key elements in a rhetorical situation are the writer, reader, text, and medium. The writer, being one who is communicating, the reader, the intended audience, the text, the writer's writing style, and the medium, the way the writer chooses to communicate physically to the reader, such as an e-mail, text message, letter, etc. For example, if you want to catch up with a close friend, you might send a text message. On the other hand, if you want to express your condolences for a death in your friend's family, you might write a letter. Using rhetorical analysis, develops a better understanding and a more effective way to communicate to the reader.
Another helpful consideration when analyzing rhetorical situations, the writer could refer to Aristotle's three appeals: Logos, Pathos, and Ethos. Logos appeals to reason, such as giving evidence and examples. Pathos appeals to one's emotions, values, and beliefs, using one's experiences and opinions to connect with the reader. Ethos appeals to one's credibility, persuading readers to accept your opinions. When I write, I appeal more to Logos and Pathos. Depending on my argument, I usually state facts first, then express my feelings towards the subject.

sweetsarae
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down