English 1000
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

literacy article

+2
AlliLadd
StephanieWun
6 posters

Go down

literacy article Empty literacy article

Post  StephanieWun Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:52 am

James Paul Gee starts off the article by talking about the idea of discourse. The definition he uses talks about the way we use language and how we act and think. Gee explains that literacy isn't as black and white as people make it out to be. There's many types of literacies depending on different things. Gee starts talking about acquisition and learning, he talks about how learning is conscious knowledge through teaching and acquisition is not using teachings to gather information (trial and error without proper teaching). He is basically saying you could teach yourself without having anyone there to help you (a teacher). After talking about learning and acquisition, Gee defines literacy by saying you gain literacy by mastering discourse as well as intiment and nonintement relationships. In short, it means to share knowledge with someone that is similar to you.

I don't think this article changed my view on literacy especially cause a lot of his concepts were hard to grasp. Gee made good points about what literacy is throughout his explanation but overall he made it more difficult to understand. I think this affects my own literacy story because it will get me thinking about someone else's discourse and how I can use that knowledge to to help them understand what I am trying say in my story.

StephanieWun
Beginner
Beginner

Back to top Go down

literacy article Empty Re: literacy article

Post  AlliLadd Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:41 pm

I thought Gee's ideas were actually pretty straight forward. What parts of the article didn't you connect with? You mention his idea of discourses and how to use them. To me that was the main point of the article, seems like you understand!

AlliLadd
Dirigible Air Captain
Dirigible Air Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  mackenzie_lafayette Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:18 pm

Compared to Ong, Gee was a lot easier to understand in my opinion but still overall, it was a complicated and confusing topic. The things he said about discourses made sense and it kind of cleared up some things as to why we do some things and other people do other things. Hope our many discussions on literacy during class cleared some stuff up for you Wink

mackenzie_lafayette
Beginner
Beginner

Back to top Go down

literacy article Empty Agreed

Post  adamlowe Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:01 pm

What could have made you change your mind? Ifelt the same as you did. I left my reading feeling as if I wasn't really sure what I had just read. Curious as to what you think would have made it easier.

adamlowe
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  AlliLadd Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:38 pm

Even after the article was clarified in class I still really stubbled with it though...The literacy paper was the hardest for me because you were either right or wrong when it came to Gee and Ong's views.

AlliLadd
Dirigible Air Captain
Dirigible Air Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  OliviaPeterkin Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:33 am

I agree with Ally in that I found Gee more relatable and that his concepts and ideas were easier to make sense of. However, people think differently! It might help to identify why things are hard to grasp for you, otherwise it seems pretty vague Surprised

OliviaPeterkin
Dirigible Air Captain
Dirigible Air Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  AustinTri Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:14 pm

I agree with the other guys cause Gee is more sensible, and it easier than to compare Ong because nobody really like researching him because he has such a dull writing style.

AustinTri
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum