English 1000
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is Literacy?

Go down

What is Literacy? Empty What is Literacy?

Post  TiannaBr Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:19 am

James Paul Gee begins explaining the term "discourse" and how he planned to use it. He defined it as a socially accepted association among ways of using language, of thinking, and of acting that can be used to identify oneself as a member of a socially meaningful group or a social network. He states that we can think of it as an "Identity Kit". He also takes a moment to explain the difference between acquisition and learning. He explained that acquisition is acquiring something subconsciously through experience and a process of trial and error, without professional teaching. While learning is a process that involves gaining knowledge consciously through teaching. Finally he defined literacy as the control of uses of languages in secondary discourses, which is mastered through acquisition.
I'm not sure if this really changed my thoughts on literacy just because literacy is such a broad and general term. The big concept that I'm not sure about is that literacy can only be mastered through acquisition. My thought is that its a combination of the two. However his is a credible source( I googled him) so it would be foolish to completely ignore his findings. After more thought, and after writing my literacy story my thoughts may change. Having read this will definitely impact my story either consciously or subconsciously.

TiannaBr
Beginner
Beginner

Back to top Go down