English 1000
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

When we talk about romanticism(new topic)

3 posters

Go down

When we talk about romanticism(new topic) Empty When we talk about romanticism(new topic)

Post  Xi Wang Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:51 am

Occasionally, I got a chance to chat with a friend from Saudi Arabia, who's just starting the third year of his American study life. It is not a secret for the world that the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia is rather a wealthy country as a result of abundant oil resources. The average area of their house, for instance, is about 600 square meters, while most of Chinese people are still dreaming of owning a 70-years' property right of a commercial residential building of 100 square meters.

"That's beyond my imagination!" He marveled, "So you study here for a better salary?"

"Just part of it. In fact, I have a strong will to experience the world before I die young. I mean, to experience the excitement of cultural shock, the awesomeness of nature-made view, the true of deepest love, and even something more incredible than those. You can see actually I am a literary type," I smiled, "to a certain extent, however, it's not a so pleasing news since most of student in China do not have the capital to conduct romanticism, they may, but at a risk of living a poor life. As the only child, we are bearing the expectation of a whole family, which somehow results in we are not only represent ourselves anymore. We have the responsibility to live a happy life for sake of their concern. Romanticism needs economic foundation, it seems somewhat paradox, but let's point out the facts occurring in daily China. A growing number of bachelor boys and girls would rather go blind date after doing a good job in career at their 30s, than invest time and money for developing a love relationship that could potentially failed. They said, 'Yes, flowers are important, but on the condition that we are alive.' "

That's what I mean, I have fully conviction that romanticism be better construct upon the basis of financial allowance, and is that over?

Interestingly, I googled about Saudi Arabia later and what I find is women there are just like "the women in cases": they are not allowed to let men see their faces, not to say working in public; what's more, their marriage are determined by parents rather than young lovers themselves! So we can conclude that economical prosperity does not necessarily lead to romanticism, education of liberal arts may be crucial as the same. If we want to explore more secrets and scientific ways to be a romanticist, why not coming closer to Italy, the birthplace of Renaissance, or having a look at France, the city of romantic!

postscript: It really takes me a good long time to finish this article, I do not choose the topic you gave us because I feel this topic is the one I want to think about more. To express the theme, I present this article mainly by forms of conversation which is easier to be understood. Comparision and statistics are given to support my point of view. Pathos may be the major rhetorical method. THANKS GOD I FINALLY FINISH IT!!!!! Mad

Xi Wang
Beginner
Beginner

Back to top Go down

When we talk about romanticism(new topic) Empty Re: When we talk about romanticism(new topic)

Post  Jiaman Xu Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:20 pm

Actually, it also takes me a long time to figure out some details in your words that may be because of my poor english understanding.

A good point on relationship between romanticism and finance. And using example to illustrate your opinion, good work on that. But the angle of this example may not be appropriate. My thought is that every single word in the example should be responsible for that main topic. We use examples to prove our idea is right, to convince someone else to believe us.So try a new angle to describe your story.

Good free writing~
Jiaman Xu
Jiaman Xu
Beginner
Beginner

Back to top Go down

When we talk about romanticism(new topic) Empty Re: When we talk about romanticism(new topic)

Post  Ying Hu Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:31 pm

A hook is a really good way to tell a story. You successfully used describtion of the environment of the story happened as a hook. It attracts audience very much and it is good for audience to undersand it.
From your conclusion I know that your arguments is "that economical prosperity does not necessarily lead to romanticism, education of liberal arts may be crucial as the same". But I think the two examples can't support your main idea very strongly. So what I want to suggest is explaining your example more to make them strongly connected with your main idea.

nice topic, it seems that we need another Renaissance to advocate romanticism, do you think it will happen in China? Very Happy And I think it should be very special to talk romanticism with Saudi Arabic guys, I know some girls from Saudi, When I talk about marriage with them, they expressed the worship of Allah, so they don't think it's unfair for them even they can't choose husbands.

Ying Hu
Beginner
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum