English 1000
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ryan Cobb reading response

Go down

Ryan Cobb reading response Empty Ryan Cobb reading response

Post  ryancobb Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:33 pm

A rhetorical situation is deciding how you want to write, while making sure that your writing is applicable and clear to the reader. If I had to explain rhetorical situations to a friend. I would tell them that rhetorical situations is being able to write while following the four key elements which is the writer, the reader, the text, and the medium. Rhetorical analysis is being able to perceive a writer's goal. I would tell my friend that rhetorical analysis is looking a piece of writing and being able to tell who the writer's audience is, what point the writer was trying to get across and how the writer is presenting his writing.

When I am writing online, I appeal more to ethos. Ethos is the appeal to credibility of the speaker or writer. When I am writing online I make sure that the audience i am trying to persuade is able to trust my writing. The most important thing to a writer in my opinion is that their audience believes that they are credible and trustworthy source.

ryancobb
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Ryan Cobb reading response Empty Re: Ryan Cobb reading response

Post  ryancobb Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:56 pm

Kairos is a time when conditions are right for the accomplishment of a crucial action or an opportune and decisive moment. A modern concern that I see in this article is the invasion of privacy. Blogs are made out to be private so that people could share their ideas and feelings without being ridiculed or shamed, but instead these blogs are public and can be viewed by anyone. What you post online personally so be able to be kept sacred and these blogs give that appearance even though the in fact don't. Voyeurism is important to how we understand writing because people enjoy seeing situations that are related to them and can feel a sense of belonging.

Questions and Confusions
-Link between kairos and blogs
-More clear definition of kairos
-Why is blogging secured better to prevent invasion of privacy

ryancobb
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Ryan Cobb reading response Empty Prewriting #1

Post  ryancobb Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:40 pm

Sunday Morning Breakfast Cereal by Zach Weiner is a webcomic that is different than most. Unlike other comics which may just have be silly and its humor is based off of foolish behavior, such as pranks and fighting. Breakfast Cereal provides comedy that requires you to think a little. "In old books, kids encounter strangers and aren't scared. We live in a safer society, but we don't allow that sort of thing. Why?" Weiner in his comics poses many questions about society and the way we live. He can provide a sense of humor that not everyone will not be able to get.

The audience that views this type of webcomic would be older teens and younger adults or smart people and college students. I say this because this comic takes intelligence to understand. So for many younger kids or teens they may find this to not be as funny as Garfield or any other newspaper comic you normally see. Also you must be experienced with life and the real world to be able to really understand what this comic is trying to tell you. That is why I say that college students and smart people view this type of comic because it provides a new look on comedy that just not everyone would be able to understand unless you are that knowledgeable.

Sunday Morning Breakfast Cereal's audience is mostly comprised of intelligent people such as college students. College students are young adults that are trying to figure out what the world really is and are trying to figure out who they truly are as well. So by this comic questioning society and the way that we live on an everyday basis. It gives them satisfaction that a comic can relate to their problems and be able to provide a sense of humor as well.

Weiner in his comic tries to appeal to his audiences by being relatable. He understands that there are many problems with society that we question every single day, yet nothing is being done about it. So with this understanding he sends a message to the intelligent youth on how our world works and uses humor as a way to allure them. Also I think Weiner is trying to show a new way to look at things in our world and give us scenarios answering the question of "If the world were like this, how would we live in it?" By doing this he is able to persuade his audience using logos. This is because he uses logic and studies that back up the theories that he poses in he comics. With this persuasion Weiner has been able to create a large fanbase of educated youth that question society as much as he does.

ryancobb
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Ryan Cobb reading response Empty Obama Q&A

Post  ryancobb Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:56 pm

In this Q&A, Obama spars with Republicans over issues that have recently occur while Obama has been in charge. Republicans pounded questions at Obama talking about unemployment, debt and changes in spending and healthcare.
Throughout the Q&A, the republicans used pathos to persuade the audience about Obama's flaws in the execution of some of his changes. An example was at the 55:00 minute, and Jeb Hensarling spoke to Obama about the national debt. Jeb starts off his argument by telling Obama that they both have young children and that if Obama was to proceed with the plan that he is going with, national debt will increase by 30% in the next ten years and their children are going to have to live through that. Jeb uses pathos in his argument because he is trying to bring the emotional aspect of having children that are grow up in a time of increasing national debt. Also logos is used throughout many arguments because many republicans had to come up with statistics and studies that showed Obama's weaknesses. The use of that logos helped to back up many of the republicans strong points with logic and the use of pathos allowed them to try to get the appeal of the audience by getting to the audience's emotions.

ryancobb
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Ryan Cobb reading response Empty Ong reading response

Post  ryancobb Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:53 pm

Ong's argument, is that literacy is expected by everyone as the norm and that the term "illiterate" gives off a negative presence. "Literacy is imperious. It tends to arrogate to itself supreme power by taking itself as normative for human expression and thought."(Ong 23) Ong is arguing here that literacy is showing its dominance by saying that it is the norm. He goes on to say after the quote that it is especially true in high-technology countries. Meaning that rich countries set the norm for literacy and those who fall below that norm are illiterate. "The term 'illiterate' itself suggests that persons belonging to the class it designates are deviants, defined by something they lack, namely literacy."(Ong 23) Ong says here that the term illiterate is harsh and the term doesn't take into account those who are born in situations where literacy isn't taught to them as easily as it is "to tie shoes or to drive a car."

ryancobb
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Ryan Cobb reading response Empty Gee's definition of literacy

Post  ryancobb Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:49 am

Gee defines literacy by comparing it to word "discourse".This means he sees literacy as a socially accepted way of using language, thinking and acting that can be used to identify oneself as a member of a member of a socially meaningful group or social network. He also thinks of discourse as an identity kit, which is a set of instructions on how to act or talk to others in a way that is understandable and recognizable. Gee sees literacy as an crucial use of communication between people.

Yes, my view on literacy has been changed. Before reading, I looked at literacy as just the ability to read and write. After reading, I see literacy as a system of communication that allows people to interact in ways that others simply couldn't understand.

ryancobb
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Ryan Cobb reading response Empty Research Questions

Post  ryancobb Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:32 pm

How has the hip-hop industry affected the youth? Why is hip hop such an influence to our younger generation?

What are the benefits and drawbacks of social media?

ryancobb
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Ryan Cobb reading response Empty Prewriting 3

Post  ryancobb Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:41 pm

Source 1: http://search.proquest.com/docview/1648169099?pq-origsite=summon

My first source analyzes the connection between social media and violence in youth. The article performed an experiment which showed children watching non-violent and violent media clips. The kids who watched the violent clip showed showed increases in violent behavior, while the kids that watched non-violent kids remained non-violent in their acts. This source is important for my paper because it correlates social media and violence in a way that perfectly expresses the ideas in my essay.

Source 2: http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/127/4/800.full.pdf+html

This source introduces me to three types of risks of social media. The three risks are cyberbulling, sexting and Facebook depression. This article does a great job of giving examples of these three types of risks and providing stats about each type of risk too. This can benefit my paper because it give me three risks to dive into and concrete facts to back it up

Source 3: http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/126/4/791.full.pdf+html

This source introduces me to the influence social media has on drug use (teens). This article shows how advertising plays a huge role on influencing people (especially teenagers) into doing drugs. Advertising on social media uses celebrities which causes youth to believe that what they do is normal. When a celebrity uses drugs for example it causes children to think of it as normal and find no fault in doing it. This is going to be useful for my paper because it shows a direct influence of social media on drugs.

Source 4: http://search.proquest.com/docview/1516316728?pq-origsite=summon

This source shows how social media can be a distraction and teenagers are becoming addicted to it. This article gave reasoning to believe that because social media is becoming such a big part of teens lives it is tearing apart relationships that they are involved in. This is going to be helpful in my essay because it shows the influence that media has on relationships in families.

Source 5: http://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED525056.pdf'

My last source is an article that has multiple statistics about the usage of social networks. Unlike my other sources it uses more statistics and it does not bring up any risks of social media. This source is still helpful to my paper because it gives me background data of how much social networking is used and how much it is in the average persons life. This info can then be used to prove how risks form.

Public conversation would suggest that social media is mostly beneficial and their are only some risk to it. My source however shows that social media influence youth to use drugs, engage in sexual activities, become a distraction, and increase violence. The public shows the lighter side of social media and the source so the risk that involved with social networking.

ryancobb
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Ryan Cobb reading response Empty Re: Ryan Cobb reading response

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down