English 1000
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wenbin Wan's reading response

+7
Yanzc
milan_chen
lzh
Yingying
WBK95
Yikun Cheng
Sailor WAN
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Wenbin Wan's reading response - Page 2 Empty Re: Wenbin Wan's reading response

Post  Leo ZHANG Wed May 13, 2015 6:27 pm

Sailor WAN wrote:The research paper I want to talk about is about the movie. Like how is the movie made?
Here are my two detailed questions about the movie.
1)How is the movie made? How many processes are there during the making movie?
2)How many positions are there behind the movie? What are they?
What movive do you like best?

Leo ZHANG
Beginner
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Post  lzh Wed May 13, 2015 9:48 pm

Yanzc wrote:
Yingying wrote:
Yingying wrote:
Sailor WAN wrote:As a big fan of movies, I read a blog related to Christopher Nolan’s latest movie Interstellar. The blog parses the science of Interstellar and talks the fundamental problem with the movie by plain English. After the writer point out the basic problem with the movie, he posted” You’re thinking: Shut up and eat your popcorn. I’m thinking: Fine, it’s only a movie, but don’t tell me it’s scientifically nutritious.” (MLA) I think that this blog talks about mistake of the science of interstellar in the movie by plain English and the style of the blog is spoofy but also a little popular scientifically.

The ideal audience for the blog I picked up is, in my opinion, are physicists and astrophysicists or people who have strong knowledge with theory of relativity and astrophysics. In that way, the blog can be judged correctly. So can the so called science of the Interstellar. Rhetorically, writer probably want the movie lovers who have not so much knowledge about astrophysics to read his blog, so that they can get the right view of the movie Interstellar.

The blog comment is closed right now but it still got 984 comments. After I overviewed several comments, all the comments, in my opinion, can be divided into 3 sorts. The first one is the “thinking writer should shut up and eat his popcorn” group. They are probably big fans of Christopher Nolan’s movies who just want get fun from the movie and they do not want the writer to judge their ideal movie. The second one is “theorist” who have some knowledge about the astrophysics, but are still not proficient in it. Maybe they are students and people who are interested in astrophysics. The last group is “thumb up”, because they give a point of view that this movie is not like filmmaker said which might really happen, but does have fundamental problems in the film.

The blog I picked up is a movie blog written by English. Honestly, I did not read English movie blog before, but I do read a lot of related movie blogs in Chinese after I watched the movie, which is the choice that most of movie fans will do. Some movies are really hard to understand, like another movie by Nolan called Inception. I did not understand the whole things in the movie when I finished it but after I read a very nice movie blog explaining almost everything in the movie. It just like that movie blog is becoming a part of movie, audience need more information about the movie in content and thoughtfully. Why not read the movie blog?

wow!!!i also like watching movies!!!! we can watch movie together after the damn final affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid

i like popcon

In America, popcorn is really more expensive than tickets.

I think popcorn in America is not sweet, I just like sweet popcorn Razz

lzh
Goose
Goose

Back to top Go down

Wenbin Wan's reading response - Page 2 Empty I enjoy watching movies too!

Post  Ziqi Xiao Thu May 14, 2015 1:34 am

Sailor WAN wrote:As a big fan of movies, I read a blog related to Christopher Nolan’s latest movie Interstellar. The blog parses the science of Interstellar and talks the fundamental problem with the movie by plain English. After the writer point out the basic problem with the movie, he posted” You’re thinking: Shut up and eat your popcorn. I’m thinking: Fine, it’s only a movie, but don’t tell me it’s scientifically nutritious.” (MLA) I think that this blog talks about mistake of the science of interstellar in the movie by plain English and the style of the blog is spoofy but also a little popular scientifically.

The ideal audience for the blog I picked up is, in my opinion, are physicists and astrophysicists or people who have strong knowledge with theory of relativity and astrophysics. In that way, the blog can be judged correctly. So can the so called science of the Interstellar. Rhetorically, writer probably want the movie lovers who have not so much knowledge about astrophysics to read his blog, so that they can get the right view of the movie Interstellar.

The blog comment is closed right now but it still got 984 comments. After I overviewed several comments, all the comments, in my opinion, can be divided into 3 sorts. The first one is the “thinking writer should shut up and eat his popcorn” group. They are probably big fans of Christopher Nolan’s movies who just want get fun from the movie and they do not want the writer to judge their ideal movie. The second one is “theorist” who have some knowledge about the astrophysics, but are still not proficient in it. Maybe they are students and people who are interested in astrophysics. The last group is “thumb up”, because they give a point of view that this movie is not like filmmaker said which might really happen, but does have fundamental problems in the film.

The blog I picked up is a movie blog written by English. Honestly, I did not read English movie blog before, but I do read a lot of related movie blogs in Chinese after I watched the movie, which is the choice that most of movie fans will do. Some movies are really hard to understand, like another movie by Nolan called Inception. I did not understand the whole things in the movie when I finished it but after I read a very nice movie blog explaining almost everything in the movie. It just like that movie blog is becoming a part of movie, audience need more information about the movie in content and thoughtfully. Why not read the movie blog?

I also really enjoy watching movies such as American, Chinese, Korean, Japanese movies. " Gone Girl" and "The Imitation Game" are my two favorite movies in this current time. What's your favorite movies? Can you recommend some movies? maybe we can discuss the movies in the free time. And I also would like watch the movies that you recommend.

Ziqi Xiao
Goose
Goose

Back to top Go down

Post  Ziqi Xiao Thu May 14, 2015 1:37 am

Sailor WAN wrote:Rhetorical situation is very important when communicating with others. Four key elements: writer, reader, text and medium will be considered, which is so called rhetorical analysis. Actually, we analyze rhetorical situation unconsciously in real life. When we try to present or explain information, we intuitively consider what is the purpose, who is our audience, what kind of style are we going to assign and how we assign it. That is the way I would explain to my friend.

I will appeal logos when writing a mechanics essay, pathos when express feeling and ethos when throw an idea.So it is very hard to say I appeal most when I write online, because it depend on why I am writing, what kind of article I am writing and what l focus on.

Yes, I do agree with your opinion. I also think when we write a mechanics essay, use logos is the best and using pathos when we want to express our feeling.

Ziqi Xiao
Goose
Goose

Back to top Go down

Post  Ziqi Xiao Thu May 14, 2015 1:40 am

Sailor WAN wrote:The research paper I want to talk about is about the movie. Like how is the movie made?
Here are my two detailed questions about the movie.
1)How is the movie made? How many processes are there during the making movie?
2)How many positions are there behind the movie? What are they?

I am really interested in your research paper. Because i like movies too, i also wander how the movie made by directors.

Ziqi Xiao
Goose
Goose

Back to top Go down

Post  kelly1994 Thu May 14, 2015 6:33 pm

i'm a big fan of movies too!

kelly1994
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  kelly1994 Thu May 14, 2015 6:33 pm

Sailor WAN wrote:Congressman Pence asked questions about the career situation and economic problem in USA. He didn' t just ask the questions,but started with a story. He met an African American boy. When the boy heard congressman pence would be seeing the president, his eyes lit up and said he wrote the president a letter. Then Pence had a conversation with the father of the boy, his father said,Congressman, it's not like it was when we were coming up.  He said, there's just no jobs. What a moving story! Not only tells how tough the job situation in USA but also shows people are suffering from that. And then, Pence showed unemployment percentage change in a year which increased from 7.5% to 10%. Now,Republican offered a stimulus bill which cost half as much as the Democratic proposal in Congress. After saying those, Pence asked  the president whether willing to consider embracing the kind of across-the-board tax relief that Republicans have advocated.
I have to said congressman Pence is a very smart man.  He not only used both logos and ethos in his question, but also used a very plain tone, which seems like very weak in tone but really a strong question.
Obama is a smart man too. He said,Well, there was a lot packed into that question. The audience laughed. It is a very good way to improve the atmosphere. And then, he promised he would write back to the boy and his family and showed he is happy to embrace those proposals.
good summary!

kelly1994
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  milan_chen Thu May 14, 2015 6:48 pm

Yingying wrote:

wow!!!i also like watching movies!!!! we can watch movie together after the damn final affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid

can I join you guys? that sounds a lot of fun!

milan_chen
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  yzcmf Thu May 14, 2015 7:41 pm

I agree with your organization of the three characteristics , which engages in our real life. Very Happy Cool Laughing Smile Wink

yzcmf
Goose
Goose

Back to top Go down

Post  yzcmf Thu May 14, 2015 7:45 pm

The three characteristic are logical,ethos,pathos. bom

yzcmf
Goose
Goose

Back to top Go down