English 1000
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rhetorical situation

+2
Sailor WAN
kelly1994
6 posters

Go down

Rhetorical situation Empty Rhetorical situation

Post  kelly1994 Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:24 am

I think rhetorical situation is whenever you write,you are writing in the context of a specific situation with its own unique demands and opportunities.You must consider what is the most effective way to approach your topic and how to respond the needs and expectations of your readers.Also,you should balance the relationships among writer ,reader ,text ,and medium.And the key to analyze your rhetorical situation is the four elements.We need to think about their connections before we write and that's analyzing your rhetorical situation.We often do that when we communicate with others.Only if we fully understand our situation can we make the best choices.
When I write online I think I would appeal most to ethos.I consider ethos sets the basic tune of an article or an essay.I will have a fundamental impressions of the writing and it will help me to understand more about it.Also it could be directing me where the article might lead to so I won't stray.

kelly1994
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Rhetorical situation Empty Re: Rhetorical situation

Post  kelly1994 Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:44 pm

Kairos is an ancient Greek word meaning the right or opportune moment (the supreme moment). The ancient Greeks had two words for time, chronos and kairos. While the former refers to chronological or sequential time, the latter signifies a time lapse, a moment of indeterminate time in which everything happens.
Based on the reading ,I think there is a vague line between the private and the public which could easily lead to some serious problems like violating intimacy.And because weblog is extremely easy to catch on and could have a wide audience,there's a chance that some blogger might break the law and it won't be easy to define whether the blogger have the incentive to break it.I agree with the concerns,and my concern is the content of each weblog is fairly subjective and unverified,in another word ,it's highly likely that there are many fake news there,there's gonna be a problem if people are browsing fake news all the time.
As to voyeurism, First, there is the pursuit of "truth" in an increasingly media-saturated world; dissatisfaction with the increasing mediation of journalism leads to an interest in information that seem to provide a less mediated and thus more authentic "reality." . Next, there is the desire for excitement.Last, there is the need for involvement, the desire to be part of the world around us, even though voyeurism by its very nature can provide only the illusion of involvement.
Question 1:how do we make good use of weblog?
Question 2:should there be some kind of rules while we using it?
Question 3:Can we compare weblog to news?or are we all "reporters"?

kelly1994
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Rhetorical situation Empty about blog

Post  kelly1994 Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:14 am

The  blog I choose is Coldplay Blog. This is a fan blog dedicated to the most incredible band ever, Coldplay. The alternative rock band formed in 1996 in London, England, and is made up of Chris Martin, Jonny Buckland, Will Champion and Guy Berryman! This  blog is contained with pictures of the band,some music of their band,and some gifs  and videos ,too.And  every picture or gif or video has a elaborate description underneath it makes you understand when and where did it happened.Also there is some paragraphs describe the development of Coldplay.
         Apperantly,Coldplay fans would definitely be attracted to this website because what it presents.Besides that,I think some other Alternative music lovers would like this website too.Because  the reason that the blog is set up is to communicate with fans of Coldplay and make more people to know about them and share good music with them.
       In the blog,there is a section called message where everybody can send a message to the blogger anonymously .Whether you have a question about the band or you just want to share your enthusiasm,you can type your words to the blogger and communicate with them.I think the audience would value the precious pictures and gifs that the blog provides because  they are hard to find and gather them together.
       I think the blog works with the audience very well.Audience can view many things about Coldplay for free,and the blog is also very beautiful,it’s very organized as well and you can share your opinions with other people.

kelly1994
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Rhetorical situation Empty Introduction to Coldplay Blog

Post  kelly1994 Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:43 am

"Look at the star,look how they shine for you,and everything you do ,yeah they were all yellow..." . Are you familiar with the lyrics or did you recognise this is one of the most famous and beautiful songs of Coldplay which rocks millions of people's world.Well,if you havem't heard of them yet you must be missing out a lot of amazing things about music and life.And Coldplay Blog can make it up for you.This is a fan blog dedicated to the most incredible band ever, Coldplay. The alternative rock band formed in 1996 in London, England, and is made up of Chris Martin, Jonny Buckland, Will Champion and Guy Berryman! If you would take a second to browse this blog,you will be amazed by its rich contents including wonderful pictures and music videos and funny gifs of Coldplay.Also you can share your view or opinions with the blogger or other browers.No matter you are a fan of them or not ,I'm sure you will enjoy this blog.

kelly1994
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Rhetorical situation Empty Obama's Q&A

Post  kelly1994 Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:23 pm

The first question that the politicians ask is “would you be willing to consider in the name of every struggling families, the kind of cross the board tax relieve that has always been the means of stimulating board based economic grow”. While he was asking, first he delivers an example of little David Carter junior and his father, the father said to the politicians that: there’s just no jobs, the congress is not the same. And his whole family is struggling. With this example, he clearly point out what’s the severe situation right now and use the Pathos to try to get to the audience emotionally. Instead of asking the question directly, he did it with a boy’s letter which would be much more convincing and could get sympathy on that. Later, he used different data and compare with what Obama promised and what the fact were, through the comparison we can see that the number of jobs hasn't reached the anticipation number. What he left unsaid is why couldn't you, Mr. President, keep your words and accomplish those goals that you have promised us? And Obama answered this question perfectly. He first promised that he will write back to the boy personally and brought audience’s attention back from the miserable family to the real issues. Why the unemployment rate is still high is a complicated question but the answer to it is the severe economic situation. Obama also use data to illustrate his points, and this is approaching the audience in Logos and Ethos. Because he is the president which makes him an authority, and through his 15 minutes talk, he laid out the reason why the situation is what it is now based on common sense and logic.
And there is a woman from Tennessee who asked Obama about health care, she also talked how she would do and expressed that she wanted to work with the government. She actually come up with a whole plan which is appealing to the audience in logic way, which is Logos. Though Obama didn't totally agree with her but he had to listen to the plans. And the whole plan makes audience think she is well prepared and she really did the research which makes people more likely to believe her.

kelly1994
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sailor WAN Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:52 pm

kelly1994 wrote:            The first question that the politicians ask is “would you be willing to consider in the name of every struggling families, the kind of cross the board tax relieve that has always been the means of stimulating board based economic grow”. While he was asking, first he delivers an example of little David Carter junior and his father, the father said to the politicians that: there’s just no jobs, the congress is not the same. And his whole family is struggling. With this example, he clearly point out what’s the severe situation right now and use the Pathos to try to get to the audience emotionally. Instead of asking the question directly, he did it with a boy’s letter which would be much more convincing and could get sympathy on that. Later, he used different data and compare with what Obama promised and what the fact were, through the comparison we can see that the number of jobs hasn't reached the anticipation number. What he left unsaid is why couldn't you, Mr. President, keep your words and accomplish those goals that you have promised us? And Obama answered this question perfectly. He first promised that he will write back to the boy personally and brought audience’s attention back from the miserable family to the real issues. Why the unemployment rate is still high is a complicated question but the answer to it is the severe economic situation. Obama also use data to illustrate his points, and this is approaching the audience in Logos and Ethos. Because he is the president which makes him an authority, and through his 15 minutes talk, he laid out the reason why the situation is what it is now based on common sense and logic.
              And there is a woman from Tennessee who asked Obama about health care, she also talked how she would do and expressed that she wanted to work with the government. She actually come up with a whole plan which is appealing to the audience in logic way, which is Logos. Though Obama didn't totally agree with her but he had to listen to the plans. And the whole plan makes audience think she is well prepared and she really did the research which makes people more likely to believe her.
Ethos comes first and then the questions, that is always a good way to ask questions, isn't it?

Sailor WAN
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sailor WAN Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:53 pm

kelly1994 wrote:The  blog I choose is Coldplay Blog. This is a fan blog dedicated to the most incredible band ever, Coldplay. The alternative rock band formed in 1996 in London, England, and is made up of Chris Martin, Jonny Buckland, Will Champion and Guy Berryman! This  blog is contained with pictures of the band,some music of their band,and some gifs  and videos ,too.And  every picture or gif or video has a elaborate description underneath it makes you understand when and where did it happened.Also there is some paragraphs describe the development of Coldplay.
         Apperantly,Coldplay fans would definitely be attracted to this website because what it presents.Besides that,I think some other Alternative music lovers would like this website too.Because  the reason that the blog is set up is to communicate with fans of Coldplay and make more people to know about them and share good music with them.
       In the blog,there is a section called message where everybody can send a message to the blogger anonymously .Whether you have a question about the band or you just want to share your enthusiasm,you can type your words to the blogger and communicate with them.I think the audience would value the precious pictures and gifs that the blog provides because  they are hard to find and gather them together.
       I think the blog works with the audience very well.Audience can view many things about Coldplay for free,and the blog is also very beautiful,it’s very organized as well and you can share your opinions with other people.
How did you hear from the coldplay blog? It is really nice.

Sailor WAN
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Rhetorical situation Empty general argument

Post  kelly1994 Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:18 am

I think the author's general argument is literacy has become so normative that Illiterates is not normal at all and they should do whatever it takes to be literacy and only in that way they'll be considered as normal human being again. "since literacy is regarded as so unquestionably normative and normal, the deviancy of illiterates tends to be thought of as lack of a simple mechanical skill. " " Illiterates should learn writing as they learned to tie their shoe-laces or to drive a car. Such views of writing as simply a mechanical skill obligatory for all human beings distort
our understanding of what is human if only because they block understanding of what natural human mental processes are before writing takes possession of consciousness." (WRITING IS A TECHNOLOGY THAT RESTRUCTURES THOUGHT WALTER 1. ONG, SJ ")

kelly1994
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  kelly1994 Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:12 am

In Gee’s definition, literacy is closely related to the word “discourse” as a count term. By “a discourse” Gee means: a socially accepted association among ways of using language, of thinking, and of acting that can be used to identify oneself as a member of a socially meaningful group or a social network. Think of discourse as in “identity kit” which comes complete with the appropriate costume and instructions on how to act and talk so as to take on a particular role that others will recognize. Literacy is control of secondary use of language (i.e., uses of language in secondary discourses).There are many different kinds of literacy.
Thus there re as many applications of the word “literacy” as these are secondary discourses, which is many.

Yes it did change my understanding of literacy. I first thought literacy is all about being educated, but it turns out to be a lot more. It’s true that you have to be educated, and after that, you’ll have to learn to use the skills, the language. In many different discourses, literacy changes with it, which means different situation has requires different skills.

kelly1994
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  WBK95 Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:52 pm

kelly1994 wrote:In Gee’s definition, literacy is closely related to the word “discourse” as a count term.  By “a discourse” Gee means: a socially accepted association among ways of using language, of thinking, and of acting that can be used to identify oneself as a member of a socially meaningful group or a social network. Think of discourse as in “identity kit” which comes complete with the appropriate costume and instructions on how to act and talk so as to take on a particular role that others will recognize.   Literacy is control of secondary use of language (i.e., uses of language in secondary discourses).There are many different kinds of literacy.
Thus there re as many applications of the word “literacy” as these are secondary discourses, which is many.  

Yes it did change my understanding of literacy. I first thought literacy is all about being educated, but it turns out to be a lot more. It’s true that you have to be educated, and after that, you’ll have to learn to use the skills, the language. In many different discourses, literacy changes with it, which means different situation has requires different skills.

I like your idea that discourse is "acting that can be used to identify oneself as a member of a socially meaningful group or a social network." I am strongly agree with that.

WBK95
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Rhetorical situation Empty Three stories

Post  kelly1994 Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:15 pm

1:I used to really into reading Harry Potter fanfiction and I can’t stand the Chinese version so I found a website called Port key which everyone could post their own work. I particularly love one story “Forever knight”, in which Hermione was a vampire and Harry loves her. It’s a happy ending though. And I love this story so much that I reach out to the author and she feeds me back in email. That made my day.
2:I often play tennis with my roommate who practically teaches me how to play. And the tennis court is open for everyone in the neighborhood. It’s kind of annoying that you have a limited balls to play because you’ll have to pick balls up every now and then in such a big court. Luckily, everybody seems a little bit lazy cause every time we can find some balls scattered in the court and we’ll pick them up. Now we have dozens of tennis balls.
3:It’s such a shame when I’m abroad I can’t go to the cinema with my friends in China, But this one day, me and her really want to watch a movie together, so I figure out a way which we are on face time, and her iPad runs the movie, at the same time she points the camera in the direction of iPad so I can watch it through face time

kelly1994
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  Yingying Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:49 pm

kelly1994 wrote:     1:I used to really into reading Harry Potter fanfiction and I can’t stand the Chinese version so I found a website called Port key which everyone could post their own work. I particularly love one story “Forever knight”, in which Hermione was a vampire and Harry loves her. It’s a happy ending though. And I love this story so much that I reach out to the author and she feeds me back in email. That made my day.
   2:I often play tennis with my roommate who practically teaches me how to play. And the tennis court is open for everyone in the neighborhood. It’s kind of annoying that you have a limited balls to play because you’ll have to pick balls up every now and then in such a big court. Luckily, everybody seems a little bit lazy cause every time we can find some balls scattered in the court and we’ll pick them up. Now we have dozens of tennis balls.
   3:It’s such a shame when I’m abroad I can’t go to the cinema with my friends in China, But this one day, me and her really want to watch a movie together, so I figure out a way which we are on face time, and her iPad runs the movie, at the same time she points the camera in the direction of iPad so I can watch it through face time

Wow, i don't know how to play tennis, could you teach me next time:roll: Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Yingying
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Rhetorical situation Empty Two questions

Post  kelly1994 Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:04 am

1: What specific elements that make peppers hot and how does the element works?
2:What's the difference in the aspect of body function or genes between people who can eat a lot peppers and people who can barely touch peppers?

kelly1994
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sailor WAN Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:08 pm

Yingying wrote:
kelly1994 wrote:     1:I used to really into reading Harry Potter fanfiction and I can’t stand the Chinese version so I found a website called Port key which everyone could post their own work. I particularly love one story “Forever knight”, in which Hermione was a vampire and Harry loves her. It’s a happy ending though. And I love this story so much that I reach out to the author and she feeds me back in email. That made my day.

Wow, i don't know how to play tennis, could you teach me next time:roll: Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes  

I can play tennis. Wechat me.

Sailor WAN
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  WBK95 Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:38 pm

kelly1994 wrote:1: What specific elements that make peppers hot and how does the element works?
2:What's the difference in the aspect of body function or genes between people who can eat a lot peppers and people who can barely touch peppers?

It seems you like spicy food. I like them too.

WBK95
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  WBK95 Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:40 pm

Sailor WAN wrote:
Yingying wrote:

I like Harry Poter especially The Secret Chamber.

WBK95
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  lzh Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:28 pm

WBK95 wrote:
Sailor WAN wrote:
Yingying wrote:

Wow, so many people like Harry Potter, and it seems to accopanies a generation Exclamation

lzh
Goose
Goose

Back to top Go down

Post  milan_chen Sat May 09, 2015 9:07 pm

kelly1994 wrote:The  blog I choose is Coldplay Blog. This is a fan blog dedicated to the most incredible band ever, Coldplay. The alternative rock band formed in 1996 in London, England, and is made up of Chris Martin, Jonny Buckland, Will Champion and Guy Berryman! This  blog is contained with pictures of the band,some music of their band,and some gifs  and videos ,too.And  every picture or gif or video has a elaborate description underneath it makes you understand when and where did it happened.Also there is some paragraphs describe the development of Coldplay.

i like viva la vida best. coldplays are great.

milan_chen
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  milan_chen Sat May 09, 2015 9:08 pm

lzh wrote:
WBK95 wrote:
Sailor WAN wrote:
Yingying wrote:

Wow, so many people like Harry Potter, and it seems to accopanies a generation Exclamation

goog way to improve your english skills by reading harry potter!

milan_chen
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  milan_chen Sat May 09, 2015 9:10 pm

kelly1994 wrote:1: What specific elements that make peppers hot and how does the element works?

crazy pepper lover like you! i dont like the feeling of burn Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

milan_chen
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  Yingying Tue May 12, 2015 12:13 am

wow, so cool!!!!!i also like coldplay~~~we can play together after final albino albino albino albino albino albino albino albino

Yingying
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  Yingying Tue May 12, 2015 12:37 am

Yingying wrote:

wow, so cool!!!!!i also like coldplay~~~we can play together after final albino albino albino albino albino albino albino albino

we can play together, after that, we can eat lots of delicious food

Yingying
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  Yingying Tue May 12, 2015 12:53 am

i like the music in the blog

Yingying
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sailor WAN Tue May 12, 2015 1:07 am

Yingying wrote:

I can play tennis. text me

Sailor WAN
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum