English 1000
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Paper 1 Prompt

Go down

Paper 1 Prompt Empty Paper 1 Prompt

Post  captain eric Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:13 am

For your first paper, you will be writing about either a web comic or a blog and its community of readers. To accomplish this task, a comic or blog must be chosen and its community found. Then, based partially on discussions we have in class, the message and presentation of the comic must be assessed and the community understood.

While there are many topics, themes, and messages any blog or web comic’s author may take up, a reader can attempt to understand the rhetorical stance an author is taking and the rhetorical space the author is working in (and creating!) in order to deliver the message of a comic or blog. The task before us, here, is to understand how the author is structuring the comic or blog, the messages being conveyed, and how you perceive this as affecting the readership.

As well as looking at the rhetorical situation from the perspective of the author, we can look to the community to gain an understanding of the interplay between the comic or blog’s message and its reception. It may be informative to ask who the readership generally represents – what demographic information can we tease out of the community? Where do they talk and what do they talk about? This can give us a better understanding of how readers respond to the author’s message.

A paper that wishes to study a comic or blog and its community should likely include an analysis of the language choices used by the comic/blog, a claim as to what sorts of messages and/or arguments the site is making use of, a hypothesis or claim as to what types of readers would be interested, a thoughtful analysis of the readership and its communication, and any other information you find novel or interesting that you find along the way!

The paper should be four to five pages double spaced with 12 point Times New Roman font, and should have one inch margins. I expect you to be able to make a claim about what kind of people are speaking in these communities (using markers such as age, profession, interest, etc.). I also expect you to be able to make a claim about why these people would be interested in the blog/comic that you've chosen. You will use not only our discussions in class, but your own curiosity and opinions to tie together the blog/comic and a community of potential readers. For this paper I am less worried about you being absolutely correct, so don’t feel like you have to be absolutely certain of your claims. I am more interested in your argument, your critical analysis and how you have gone about your research.

Remember: I am not interested in you passing judgment on what you don’t like about either the community or the comic/blog. I simply want you to assess their ties.

Specifications
5 pages
12 pt Times New Roman
1’’ margins
Header with last name and page number
Title
captain eric
captain eric
Admin

https://e1000.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down