English 1000
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prewriting 1

4 posters

Go down

Prewriting 1 Empty Prewriting 1

Post  Weijian Li Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:10 am

Prewriting 1:

How does the computer and video games addiction effect on people's daily life, including study and work.

From Wikipedia: Video game addiction is extreme use of computer and video games that interferes with daily life. Instances have been reported in which users play compulsively, isolating themselves from family and friends or from other forms of social contact, and focus almost entirely on in-game achievements rather than other life events exhibiting mood swings and lack of imagination. There is no formal diagnosis of video game addiction in current medical or psychological literature. Inclusion of it as a psychological disorder has been proposed and rejected for the next version of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM).

Unlike with substance abuse, the biological aspect of video game addiction is uncertain. "Research suggests gambling elevates dopamine," Young says, and gaming is in the same category. But there's more to addiction than brain chemistry. "Even with alcohol, it's not just physical. There's a psychological component to the addiction, knowing 'I can escape or feel good about my life.''

Anyone who has experienced it knows all too well – video game addiction is real. Although gaming addiction is not yet officially recognized as a diagnosable disorder by the American Medical Association, there is increasing evidence that people of all ages, especially teens and pre-teens, are facing very real, sometimes severe consequences associated with compulsive use of video and computer games.

7 SIGNS OF INTERNET AND GAMING ADDICTION
It’s normal for kids (and adults) to be a little obsessed with a new game or gadget in the weeks after they first get it, Fraser says. But if the following signs of problematic Internet or gaming use persist for longer than 3-6 months, it may be worth seeking psychological help.
- Secrecy or lying about use
- Spending more than 24-30 hours a week online not for work or school
- Mood shifts, such as increased irritability, if access is taken away
- A significant decrease in other activities and interests
- Neglecting friends, family and other responsibilities
- Sleep problems
- Deterioration of personal hygiene

From these articles, I have more clear understanding about the computer and video game addiction. In order to know how does the computer and video game addiction effect on people's daily life, I need to explore whether or not biological aspect has influence on the addiction. But most importantly, I need to know how video game addiction effects on people's daily life as according to what I have found, computer and video games will occupy a large amount of time and thus it will definitely more or less influence people's daily life, like sleep problems and social relationship problem.

Sources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_addiction
http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/features/video-game-addiction-no-fun
http://www.video-game-addiction.org/
http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/kids-addicted-video-games-violent-experts-article-1.1298338

Weijian Li
Beginner
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Prewriting 1 Empty Response to your Research Question

Post  Minsoo Soh Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:28 pm

Many of people negatively think about computer or video game addiction. I also think that way!

However, when I was in high school, I remember I read an article about the addiction how it could give us some positive effects on our life. It talks about how it could raise people's achievement rate something like that. I hope you could find and use this on your paper.
I am pretty sure it would be interesting.

Minsoo Soh
Goose
Goose

Back to top Go down

Prewriting 1 Empty Re: Prewriting 1

Post  Jiahong Guan Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:14 pm

I hope to see how you organize this paper to tell us the computer and video game affects our life, whether it is positive or negative. (In my opinion it is negative though...)

Jiahong Guan
Goose
Goose

Back to top Go down

Post  di cui Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:38 am

I like this topic too. In my daily life, I often play video games such as battle field 3 and star craft. But I never expected video games can be such interesting topic. I expect your interesting ideas, in the essay.

di cui
Beginner
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Prewriting 1 Empty About the positive effects of video game addiction

Post  Weijian Li Thu May 09, 2013 7:51 pm

Thanks for your comments, I am very appreciated. Your advise is really helpful as it broaden my consideration and teach me to think in two aspects of video game addiction. I have found out some specific positive effects of video game addiction and add them to my paper. Again, thanks a lot for your advice.

Weijian Li
Beginner
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Prewriting 1 Empty Reply to Jiahong Guan

Post  Weijian Li Thu May 09, 2013 7:56 pm

Yes, I am more inclined to the negative effects, but undoubtedly, positive effects of video game addiction are also not negligible. Actually, I have included both of them in my paper and add many other aspects to enrich my total performance of my paper. I hope you have enjoyed that~

Weijian Li
Beginner
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Post  Weijian Li Thu May 09, 2013 8:01 pm

by di cui on Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:38 am

I like this topic too. In my daily life, I often play video games such as battle field 3 and star craft. But I never expected video games can be such interesting topic. I expect your interesting ideas, in the essay.

Definitely, most of us born in this generation are more or less addicted to video games to some extend. Basically, video game is really a very big idea and it is not easy to narrow it. Fortunately, I have done pretty well on the paper and is preparing for the digital presentation. I choose this paper to be my prezi and hopefully it will be much fun doing it than writing a paper.

Weijian Li
Beginner
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down