English 1000
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Summaries for two articles

4 posters

Go down

Summaries for two articles Empty Summaries for two articles

Post  molly.still Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:25 am

I have narrowed my research question down to, Are tattoos a sign of low self-esteem?
My first article is Marks of Mischief: Becoming and being tattooed, by Clinton R. Sanders. To summarize Sanders talks about how the in the Western World having a tattoo is a sign of the wearers alienation from societies mainstream norms. He states that being tattooed is a voluntary stigma, and that tattooed people affiliate with one another. "Tattooing is the most ancient and widely practiced form of permanent body alteration." There are many quotes from tattooed people describing their experience with getting a tattoo.

My second article is from The ShrinkRap cleverly titled, Tattoos are a mark of low self esteem. This article talks about a study done by Marie Randle and Sue Aitken. They found that there are four main reasons people give for getting tattoos. 1. Rebellion 2. Aesthetic reasons 3. Personal and emotional significance 4. group affiliation. From there they discovered that people with 3+ tattoos have significantly lower self- esteem than people with fewer tattoos and those completely without tattoos. Also those who chose rebellion and group affiliation as their reason for getting a tattoo tended to predict low self-esteem. People with 1 to 2 tattoos their self-esteem was lowest when their reasoning was for aesthetic reasons. The article concludes stating that tattoos are not just fashion accessories but are desired by a variety of different emotional factors that are related to self-esteem.

molly.still
Beginner
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Summaries for two articles Empty Really cool

Post  adamlowe Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:28 pm

This is a very unique topic but I think it could be really interesting. I know this is a belief that many people think especially when people cover their bodies with tattoos. I'm sure you could find some interesting stuff on celebrities and athletes and why they feel the need to do this as well.

adamlowe
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Summaries for two articles Empty Re: Summaries for two articles

Post  OliviaPeterkin Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:50 pm

I think that your topic poses a question that I've never heard of before and that's good! I like that you're writing about something that isn't super common and cliched. I would also get contradictory sources though just in case, when doing a research paper you want to make sure that your reader has all the facts in front of them so that they can make an unbiased and informed decision. Good stuff. cherry

Last edited by OliviaPeterkin on Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : accident)

OliviaPeterkin
Dirigible Air Captain
Dirigible Air Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  AustinTri Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:54 pm

I think the first idea is really interesting, just because I know so many people that have tattoos and love them. I personally do not think that tattoos have low self esteem. But, that is a very interesting concept to research.

AustinTri
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down